Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Replies

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    @SanDiegofitmom - we tried Narcos, we really did. Just couldn't do it, for the same reasons you cite.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,540 Member
    @kittybenn the struggle is real.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,304 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    The actor that plays Don Draper (dreamy Jon Hamm) ended up in rehab after the show. Life imitating art perhaps? I'm still eating Easter candy like there is no tomorrow but I am GOING to get through April AF come Hell or high water. @ Julie I love the alcohol mastery guy's podcast(Kevin O'Hara) but he always sounds like he is out of breath. Like he is taping his podcasts while on the treadmill or something.

He is out of breath (Kevin O'Hara); most of his videos and I assume podcasts are done when he is hiking. Must be his thing. Get two things done at once.
    Yes, John Hamm is one handsome man! Didn't know he went to rehab.

Off topic, there is a good series on Amazon called "Catastrophe"; it's about a newly married couple (in their lates 30s) navigating life. But in the show, the husband is portrayed as a recovering alcoholic. As the seasons progress, his addiction is starting to rear it's ugly head in their lives. Don't want to reveal too much. I recommend it; it's quirky, humorous and serious, too.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

What is WFPB?

Whole Food Plant Based. It is a good way to detox your system because in addition to meat you stay away from processed foods. For me it is not sustainable but in my six week diet rotation I do have a week that is WFPB + some fish. The first time through gave me days of near euphoria.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    kittybenn wrote: »
    OMG, @JenT304, you and I are having the same problem. Today I'm trying to increase protein bc I'm feeling hungry - a lot. Just had some Fage, which has a ton of protein, and some cashews. Hope that does the job for awhile. I put my little sweets (couple of chocolate kisses, few gummies and my beloved TJ mini peanut butter cup) in a little dish and said to myself, THAT IS IT. No mas. When those are gone, you're done. Fingers Xd.

I have no willpower when it comes to peanut butter cups. If that dish were in my home I would have devoured them like the sesame street cookie monster and probably licked the dish to make sure no molecule of deliciousness escaped my gaping maw.
  • RubyRed427

Excerpt from a very good article:
    "You could have two women, same age, same weight, and give them the exact same amount of alcohol every day for a year,” says Wallace. “One might develop a problematic relationship to alcohol, and the other might not. Why? Because of genetics and emotional factors. It’s much more complex than just the amount that you’re drinking.”"

https://www.self.com/story/alcoholic-or-just-really-like-to-drink
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

What is WFPB?

Whole Food Plant Based. It is a good way to detox your system because in addition to meat you stay away from processed foods. For me it is not sustainable but in my six week diet rotation I do have a week that is WFPB + some fish. The first time through gave me days of near euphoria.

Oh! Cool! I love love eating a more plant based diet, I could totally be a vegetarian except for my Meat loving husband. I try to sneak in more meat free days and I do all organic and grass fed meats now. It’s more expensive but I would rather pay more and not worry about antibiotics, chemicals and hormones in the meat.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @SanDiegofitmom - we tried Narcos, we really did. Just couldn't do it, for the same reasons you cite.

My husband loved it! I’m like give me Outlander :) also, speaking of your earlier posts do you ever get the dark chocolate peanut butter cups at TJs? Soooo good
  • SanDiegofitmom
    "You could have two women, same age, same weight, and give them the exact same amount of alcohol every day for a year,” says Wallace. “One might develop a problematic relationship to alcohol, and the other might not. Why? Because of genetics and emotional factors. It’s much more complex than just the amount that you’re drinking.”"

So true! I have some friends who just don’t care for alcohol - I’m like how is that possible?
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,540 Member
    @JulieAL1969 I just read the article. Thank you for sharing it. I love how everyone contributes what they find on line. It really helps me to have such a wide range of perspectives to learn from.
  • RubyRed427

I think I own the farm on stupid reasons to drink. I am a creature of habit. I like doing the same things at the same time. I used to be a once a week drinker and something happened (details not important) and I started drinking more daily. Once the ritual formed even though I didn't love it my OCD kicked in and I just kept doing it. So drinking became no different than my need to wash dishes at a specific time each day. The sad thing is I am generally considered a very smart person but as I always say smart people are completely capable of doing really stupid things too. So do I have an alcohol problem or a ritual problem... probably a little of both.

Last Sunday night I really did not want to drink but it was my scheduled drinking day. See? Stupid. Just saying no more though frightens me. I think I might be heading in that direction but for now I will stick to the plan even if it results in some stupid behavior

I think self reflection is part of the journey. I think there is something we both gain from drinking and so we do it. But I think once we figure out why we are drinking (which we probably know deep down) , we can work on the habit. And create a new habit. Lately, meditation is really working for me. I go on insight timer app and pick a guided one and lie down and listen. It is changing my brain, I think. I dont know how or why but meditation is becoming my new passion.
    I think you're making some real progress on your own journey. It's all about learning and growing. Xo
  • SanDiegofitmom
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Sigh. Never mind. Not today, not the right thread.

Ha me too! I’ve been off the wagon and need go get back on but motivation has not been there
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Sigh. Never mind. Not today, not the right thread.

I see what you wanted to do there.

sarahbums wrote: »
    for those of you familiar with AA/ the 12-step approach who like the idea behind the Just for Today book but maybe aren't so into the 'higher power' stuff, i highly recommend the book "Beyond Belief: Agnostic Musings for a 12-Step Life." I found it at a bookstore while i was in treatment. It's a nice collection of daily reflections/meditations/quotes for living sober.

Thanks! Much appreciated.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member

I think I own the farm on stupid reasons to drink. I am a creature of habit. I like doing the same things at the same time. I used to be a once a week drinker and something happened (details not important) and I started drinking more daily. Once the ritual formed even though I didn't love it my OCD kicked in and I just kept doing it. So drinking became no different than my need to wash dishes at a specific time each day. The sad thing is I am generally considered a very smart person but as I always say smart people are completely capable of doing really stupid things too. So do I have an alcohol problem or a ritual problem... probably a little of both.

Last Sunday night I really did not want to drink but it was my scheduled drinking day. See? Stupid. Just saying no more though frightens me. I think I might be heading in that direction but for now I will stick to the plan even if it results in some stupid behavior

Very insightful. Need to think this through as it sounds a bit like me.

Also related is the post on how much is a problem for you/me.
  • dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 108 Member
    On my second week back at work, for which I am so grateful. It's out of the question for me to drink during the week, I just couldn't balance it along with work...even though years ago I used to do it almost daily. But I have changed, gotten older, and just can't tolerate it anymore.

So I will plan sometime throughout the weekend to indulge, if I wish. If I don't, then all the better. It's like the food part of weight loss...if I plan and know I'm not depriving myself, I can have anything.