Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    kuftae wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    TicoCortez wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Dom is funny and obviously satirical but most of the guys and gals I know that are in fantastic shape follow strict "bro diets" (chicken breast and broccoli) and "bro splits" (low frequency/ high volume training).

correlation =/= casuation

I agree that a lot of it is correlation. Still, me thinks that healthy food (high fiber, high protein, low sugar) = more energy = harder training and better recovery.

And for people who have no interest in "harder training" and following bro diets and bro splits to achieve "fantastic shape"? What do you recommend for them? Still need to avoid eating whatever your definition of processed food/junk food is?

I recommend trying eating a diet full of whole foods for a month and pay attention to how it affects your cognition and energy levels. If you think eating pasta if worth it still then go for it.

Have any objective evidence supporting superiority of this practice?

Try google. Keywords: inflammation, gut micro-biome, cognition, sugar/ glucose.

I find when people are challenged they do one of two things depending on confidence. The unconfident will double down, bring up past achievements, degrees, etc. and distinctly no objective evidence. The confident will take a moment to ensure that what they believe is true is actually true and to expand their knowledge base.

One side wants to be right, the other seeks truth.

I don't necessarily agree with how you characterize the two positions.

I would say that

One side wants to win the conversation, the other wants to be right/seek the truth. But that's nitpicking pedantry.

The second group knows that asking the right question is almost always more important than getting the right answer.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I am admittedly pedantic. I'm an engineer that works face to face with customers. I have to be very careful with how I answer as some customers are quick to take one small part of something and run with it.

Others will miss every possibility but the one they want.

All the words matter, not just the ones you remember or what to hear.