Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Post-workout impromptu mid-week refeed happened last night for taco Tuesday... which turned into tequila, beer, and taco Tuesday. Not a full out night of partying/bingeing, just about 10 street tacos, 3 beers, and 2 shots of tequila.

Other than the day after drinking grogginess, overall mood was better and felt leaner, which was confirmed by a 1 lb scale weight drop. All good things. Granted this won't always be the case, but I cut pretty hard on Monday, so it fits in the weekly average.

I'm going to Coachella next week which will be interesting. It'll probably end up as a reverse refeed. I doubt I'm going to have any solid food intake that weekend so I'll likely eat Friday and zombie myself around the next two days lol.

I love street tacos! I can down 4 without batting an eye! They are like potato chips! And then with a Michelina (I renamed a Michelada because I hate tomato juice, so I order mine without) that is what is called Supremo!

I agree with Maxxitt, be safe.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. This is the first time I've visited this particular thread, and I need some advice.
    A little background: I am at a BMI of 25, so just over normal, and therefore don't have a lot to lose. I do own and use a food scale and track my food. I am pretty active as far as exercise (vinyasa type yoga 4-5 x per week, 3 spin classes per week, and 2-3 run days per week) but have a sit down job so I use sedentary to determine my calorie allotment. Since January I have lost 8 pounds and am happy with that rate since I don't have a whole lot to lose.
    I recently fell while skiing and have a possible meniscus tear on one knee. I do have an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon next week. I also let an athletic trainer that comes to my work area look at it, and she thinks it is a meniscus tear. I have been able to carry on with most of my normal exercise routine with very few issues, but I tend to have a lot of missteps that cause quick stabs of pain while doing normal daily activities. I had one yesterday that was a a lot worse than usual and the intense pain lasted several minutes with me limping around most of the morning
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Options
    It looks like some of my post was cut off... so here goes the rest (hopefully)...
    I find myself getting really flustered when these missteps happen and it makes me want to eat a lot more.
    So, it seems like now would be a good time for a diet break, maybe until I see the OS and find out exactly what's going on with the knee?
    Is setting calories to maintenance the best thing to do?
    How long should a diet break last?
    Thanks in advance!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Post-workout impromptu mid-week refeed happened last night for taco Tuesday... which turned into tequila, beer, and taco Tuesday. Not a full out night of partying/bingeing, just about 10 street tacos, 3 beers, and 2 shots of tequila.

Other than the day after drinking grogginess, overall mood was better and felt leaner, which was confirmed by a 1 lb scale weight drop. All good things. Granted this won't always be the case, but I cut pretty hard on Monday, so it fits in the weekly average.

I'm going to Coachella next week which will be interesting. It'll probably end up as a reverse refeed. I doubt I'm going to have any solid food intake that weekend so I'll likely eat Friday and zombie myself around the next two days lol.

Have a blast!
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    sarjenki wrote: »
    It looks like some of my post was cut off... so here goes the rest (hopefully)...
    I find myself getting really flustered when these missteps happen and it makes me want to eat a lot more.
    So, it seems like now would be a good time for a diet break, maybe until I see the OS and find out exactly what's going on with the knee?
    Is setting calories to maintenance the best thing to do?
    How long should a diet break last?
    Thanks in advance!

In your longer comment - didn't notice you saying you were using MFP correctly and entering in exercise calories to eat back.

Because even sit down job doesn't mean sedentary lifestyle outside of exercise.
    If more than 4000 steps on average, which includes a potentially active weekend, besides active after work - you are Lightly Active.

Exercise would just add more to it.

Anyway, the comment about exercise, you could set MFP to maintenance, but if not adding in some decent portion of exercise calories - won't really being doing a diet break.

Because ya - body needing to heal from injury is not a great time for a diet. Merely eating at prior TDEE level will mean a deficit as body spends more energy on the injury. (say that fast 5 times)

Good point. I didn't say so in my OP, but I do typically eat around 50% of my exercise calories (I feel MFP overestimates CO with most activities) so would continue to do that with calories set at maintenance.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Agreed with @heybales that you want to be at least in maintenance during an injury. Increased need for tissue repair is an added factor to metabolic process, and pain is an additional factor in the form of stress. Essentially, body health > body composition. Fat loss is relatively easy, so when setbacks happen, focus on getting back to as normal as possible. If surgery is needed, consider that the extreme of repair and stress factors to add.

As always, protein becomes a priority macro if it's not already. During rehab therapy, it's a point to use it as a precursor of strength building/training to pulse inflammation around the affected site because some inflammation is needed to signal cells for repair, so do enough, but not too much.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/dogs/rehabbing-an-injury.html/

https://store.bodyrecomposition.com/product/optimal-nutrition-for-injury-recovery/
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    @anubis609 - you gotten Lyle's book on injury recovery?
    at only $10, I'm almost enough curious to review my recovery from injury that was worse than his injury and see if I did good or bad.
    Actually, on reflection considering I didn't think about food much - probably bad.
    Maybe the $10 isn't worth it until I get hurt again. ;-)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    @anubis609 - you gotten Lyle's book on injury recovery?
    at only $10, I'm almost enough curious to review my recovery from injury that was worse than his injury and see if I did good or bad.
    Actually, on reflection considering I didn't think about food much - probably bad.
    Maybe the $10 isn't worth it until I get hurt again. ;-)

@heybales - Yep, I got it. It actually is his most comprehensive book lol. There's no bogged down history of a diet's origin or cellular evolution. Of course he touches on nutrition and training to the degree that it applies to injury and recovery, but it's a quick read and good reference considering injury is probably inevitable at some point in training. I think Lyle writing it while half medicated and rehabbing kept the word length to a minimum.

Funny enough, to what @Maxxitt said, a lot of people seemed to have injured themselves shortly after purchasing it. It's like the curse of Zordon.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have a question: I knew that when one started a diet break, they could expect to see the scale jump up for a few days; however, I was under the impression that it would settle back down to about where you started within a few days.

I started a full diet break last Friday, and as expected, I saw the scale jump up about 3 lbs. However, its been a week, and those 3 lbs are still there.

am I missing something here?
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Although I did my last diet break without a scale so can't give very precise information, I can say that right after I finished the break I had a whoosh that took half an inch off my waist.