Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969--love eggplant and good going!

Ok--I want to be reaching for a certain goal by the end of June in my weight loss and I really want to keep alcohol from hindering it.

Keep going everyone--me, too!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    I had one terribly bad experience drinking while away. One night got out of hand.
    Let me explain my past first. I have cut my drinking back in 2018 to one day a week mostly cause of weight gain. I have never been a problem drinker, I am usually the one who is taking care of my friends who black out.
    But I accidentally got out of hand last Wednesday. And wow, I do not know how people can regularly drink to that point. I woke up shaking and shivering. My wife thought I had gotten the flu, but it was just my body rejecting the abuse. I was fine after being awake for a little bit. I am more than happy to go back to not drinking like that again!

Oh my! Your body was sure speaking to you loud and clear. Sending you a big hug - thanks for sharing and being so honest.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    salleewins wrote: »
    @JulieAL1969--love eggplant and good going!

Ok--I want to be reaching for a certain goal by the end of June in my weight loss and I really want to keep alcohol from hindering it.

Keep going everyone--me, too!

You're doing so well! I know you will reach your goals! Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Okay off to find some Indian spices for an Indian Dish I want to try that sounds healthy and to see if I can go taste the chocolate black tea at the local shop. I will enjoy the organic Granny Smith apple I purchased sometime today instead of alcohol. It is a chilly day and windy. Later we are supposed to have ice pellets through all the way until tomorrow morning. Stuff that makes me anxious like my daughter driving in that weather tonite and tomorrow a lot, will tempt me to drink. Getting my bases covered and with prayer. I can't control the weather, just try the best to do my best.

Stay strong! Yes worrying about our loved ones can make us drink. Make a big pot of tea and stay cozy.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Okay off to find some Indian spices for an Indian Dish I want to try that sounds healthy and to see if I can go taste the chocolate black tea at the local shop. I will enjoy the organic Granny Smith apple I purchased sometime today instead of alcohol. It is a chilly day and windy. Later we are supposed to have ice pellets through all the way until tomorrow morning. Stuff that makes me anxious like my daughter driving in that weather tonite and tomorrow a lot, will tempt me to drink. Getting my bases covered and with prayer. I can't control the weather, just try the best to do my best.

If you get tempted maybe it will help to think that she will be safer if you are fully alert praying for her.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Ouch. OK. So many of us were feeling it in January and now sort of despairing in April. I can’t speak for anyone else but for myself I have to look in the mirror and say “Girl, you can’t drink.” I absolutely HATE that thought. But it’s reality. That doesn’t mean I won’t drink. It just means I’m being honest out loud. I appreciate a place to say that without fear of judgment.

Im with u here!!.. Im in the same boat im afraid. I hate the thought of limiting or totally missing out when everyone else in the place is drinking leting loose, totally enjoying themselves. But the facts is the facts, we r responsible for our actions.
    Thanks for your post btw, nice to read everyones post again, it's btw a while, i hadnt forgotten though. :)
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    It’s amazing what triggers the “I’d like a drink” response.
    Almost gave in this week but instead went to bed early and had one of those long, convoluted dreams about a Russian mafia guy dressed in disco outfit posing as a college Professor of a class I didn’t know I was taking, hahaha.

Funny dream! Hope the dreams turn more pleasant! Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Skyweigh wrote: »
    Moderators, please read no further.

This is a very long article, courtesy of Hip Sobriety's FB post ....and, last year, I wouldn't have read it myself. It challenges prevalent notions about supposed benefits of moderate alcohol consumption.

Those who are looking more or less toward being AF than A-less, less-A or less is more, but none is better.... read on why "The science is clear that alcohol raises the risk of cancer, but boozemakers don't want you to know."

DiSCUS has helped many of us look forward to "wine o'clock" through the past years. To quote from the article: "The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States “is working to ensure cultural acceptance of alcohol beverages by ‘normalizing’ them in the minds of consumers as a healthy part of a normal lifestyle,” the group’s CEO said in 2000. Those who are curious to know more:
    https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/04/did-drinking-give-me-breast-cancer/

That's true! The big business of alcohol did a good job normalizing it. Remember the ad about the "Most interesting man in the world." And now making bottles of whiskey attractive to females. Everything comes down to money. It's all about the money.
    My friend who is an alcohol counselor just changed jobs. He worked at an impatient program place for teens. But it was so emotionally taxing on him. It was a revolving door. A teenage alcoholic would come and get services for awhile, leave clean, and then come right back a few weeks later. I think alcoholism is most alarming in young people who have many decades ahead of them fighting the wolf waiting in the woods.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Polo265 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone. I haven't posted in a while, but I just wanted to check in. I'm on my 95th day alcohol free. The article from Mother Jones is certainly an eye opener. It's articles like this that make me wish I never drank. My weight is beginning to creep up. I'm getting careless with my food and it seems without the alcohol, I'm always hungry. I'll have to work harder and buckle down. I hope everyone is doing well and hanging in there.

Thanks for the update ! Day 95 - bravo!
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Skyweigh wrote: »
    Moderators, please read no further.

This is a very long article, courtesy of Hip Sobriety's FB post ....and, last year, I wouldn't have read it myself. It challenges prevalent notions about supposed benefits of moderate alcohol consumption.

Those who are looking more or less toward being AF than A-less, less-A or less is more, but none is better.... read on why "The science is clear that alcohol raises the risk of cancer, but boozemakers don't want you to know."

DiSCUS has helped many of us look forward to "wine o'clock" through the past years. To quote from the article: "The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States “is working to ensure cultural acceptance of alcohol beverages by ‘normalizing’ them in the minds of consumers as a healthy part of a normal lifestyle,” the group’s CEO said in 2000. Those who are curious to know more:
    https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/04/did-drinking-give-me-breast-cancer/

That's true! The big business of alcohol did a good job normalizing it. Remember the ad about the "Most interesting man in the world." And now making bottles of whiskey attractive to females. Everything comes down to money. It's all about the money.
    My friend who is an alcohol counselor just changed jobs. He worked at an impatient program place for teens. But it was so emotionally taxing on him. It was a revolving door. A teenage alcoholic would come and get services for awhile, leave clean, and then come right back a few weeks later. I think alcoholism is most alarming in young people who have many decades ahead of them fighting the wolf waiting in the woods.

@JulieAL1969 Years ago, I worked at a group home for troubled teens ...and in those days, I had no interest in drinking, but the rest of the staff used to drink very heavily, IMO, at parties. Julie, I got a kick out of the typo ("impatient" program, not to criticize, of course, but teens are very impatient to become adults ... making them ripe for marketing exploits).

The title of the article suggests it is about cancer risk from alcohol, but it deals with so much more than that. Before this year of seriously trying to cut back and look at my own drinking history clearly, I've been blown away by the information provided, mostly through this thread, about the cultural complexity of alcohol use.

• Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Last night, my daughter texted, asking if, now that more than 3 months have passed, would I be having wine again? I sent a lengthy reply to her, trying my best not to be preachy. She has already told me she "knows all that" --- about the harm from alcohol. I could only say that perhaps I'd want wine again, but at this point in my life, I've had enough! Yet there is no commitment to myself to be permanently AF. However, the more I learn about how great it feels to be AF, there does not seem to be much payoff, or any benefit, really, for rekindling my friendship with chardonnay. I do not know how I will fare with this if we have a summer camping trip, or time at a cottage, with all my memories and ideas about the pleasure of drinking on the dock, drinking at the campfire, etc. According to the "stop drinking expert" these activities, fun in the sun and love of nature are pleasurable in themselves, without alcohol. Of course that is true, I know, but it will be different this year. I guess the incentive to remain AF comes from the idea that a drink just does not have the goodies in it that I've attributed to it, and I would not likely enjoy that first drink much at all.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @lannakin - wow, what an amazing accomplishment! You have friends and supporters here for sure. WTG!
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    @lannakin Welcome! I quit smoking several years ago and know what a monkey on your back that is. It helps that it is frowned upon now in society (unlike alcohol). You will be so happy to have that out of your life. Best of luck to you.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    lannakin wrote: »
    Might be too late to join but I haven’t drank any alcohol in 3 weeks and quit smoking 9 days ago. Not drinking any alcohol for 2 months

Not too late at all! You are doing amazing! Wishing you success. You can do it! Just think how healthy you are becoming inside and out.