April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    So 3:26:10 is really good, right? What was he aiming for, cause that seems really quite fast! Amazing race, wow!

Edit cause I just figured out how to read these things - I'm looking at predicted times for the rest of the race.

Even if he slows down as much for the remainder of the race as some of the others, he will still have a faster time than I'll ever have.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    What happened to Shalane? Where did she finish?

Anyone know?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    The US women showed up!!!

Yes, 4 of the top 5 women are from the USA. And the other is from Canada... that's basically a suburb of the USA. :p

*No offense intended towards Canadians. It was a joke.

LOL... At least we seem to be at first glance right? The culture shock my husband went through when he moved here from WA almost 13 years ago is probably equivalent to the culture shock of moving from WA to TX.

Suburbs are always nicer, though...

Less crime and national health care. Sounds good to me?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    So 3:26:10 is really good, right? What was he aiming for, cause that seems really quite fast! Amazing race, wow! Congrats MobyCarp!

He is running my best-targeted HALF MARATHON PACE for his FULL MARATHON. So yeah. IMO, he is kicking serious course butt.

A little over halfway and he is maintaining his pace! He is an amazing runner! I am also tracking one of my husband's friends who is younger and started in an earlier corral by over 20 mins and @mobycarp has passed him by!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    So 3:26:10 is really good, right? What was he aiming for, cause that seems really quite fast! Amazing race, wow! Congrats MobyCarp!

He is running my best-targeted HALF MARATHON PACE for his FULL MARATHON. So yeah. IMO, he is kicking serious course butt.

A little over halfway and he is maintaining his pace! He is an amazing runner! I am also tracking one of my husband's friends who is younger and started in an earlier corral by over 20 mins and @mobycarp has passed him by!

And to think he is coming off an injury!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Anyone know?

She finished 6th. looks like the weather favored the North Americans (and Japanese) this year!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - I believe Shalane finished 6th.

@rheddmobile - I cannot view the video feed either. It was carried on our news here but once the elites finished they ended the coverage :(
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp just passed 30k and still holding a sub-8 pace.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    The US women showed up!!!

Yes, 4 of the top 5 women are from the USA. And the other is from Canada... that's basically a suburb of the USA. :p

*No offense intended towards Canadians. It was a joke.

LOL... At least we seem to be at first glance right? The culture shock my husband went through when he moved here from WA almost 13 years ago is probably equivalent to the culture shock of moving from WA to TX.

Moving from WI to AZ is a bit of a culture shock LOL
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 4/8 ADK vacation, no running!
    4/9 5miles
    4/10 7miles
    4/11 5miles
    4/12 5.6miles
    4/13 10miles
    4/14 5miles
    4/15 6.5miles

Did 6.5 miles on the treadmill while watching the marathon. I'm not going to lie - I choked up when Desi won. It was so awesome. I remember reading an article about how disappointed she was that she couldn't seem to break through and win a major race, always 2nd or 3rd or 4th. She seemed like an underdog and she WON!

I was surprised at how the favorites to win fared. They said Galen dropped out!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 Thanks for heading out there to cheer everyone on for us!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Last 20-miler before marathon is DONE. It didn't go so great, lots of walking especially in the middle. It probably didn't help that I had watched coverage yesterday of Callum Hawkins with an almost 2-minute lead, struggling and finally collapsing 2k from the finish line at the Commonwealth Games Marathon, and then today I proceeded to listen to a Marathon Talk podcast recorded a few weeks ago with him talking about his training and looking forward to the marathon. I wasn't feeling great today, then around 24k (so 8 to go, in the sun) ran out of water/juice in my vest. Fortunately I discovered that the cash I had stashed behind the case on my phone I run with was still there (both Polish złoty and American dollars! I've never needed it!) so I stopped at a gas station and bought 2 nice, cold bottles of sports drink. Had a quick sit-down break to drink and fill up the bladder-thingy in the vest, and then got back to running. Got home, sat down on the floor and had a little cry.

I'm trying to not be discouraged, but to remember:
    -I've got a lot of cumulative tiredness built up at this point in training. That rough 10k last week, reintroducing cycling to my routine (even slowly), work/life stress, marathon training, etc... I will NOT be this tired when I'm standing at the start line in a few weeks.
    -There was no pace group today, no son on his bike or friends to talk to, no one checking to see if I finished the entire course and no medals waiting at the end. With basically no outside motivation, I made that right-hand turn and finished the route when I wanted to turn towards home.
    -The hardest part of the training (for me) is done. Other than the marathon, I don't have any reason to run further than 13-14 miles until I decide I'm ready. Running the marathon is the reward. I get to do this!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    5/13 Lublin Marathon
    6/2 Solidarność Half Marathon
    Some sort of summer trail HM, maybe in the Tatry Mts? And de-training down to Half Marathon level and returning to goal weight.

This sounds like my last 20 mile training run before my first marathon this past December. I remember getting home, laying down on the kitchen floor, and crying while asking my poor husband how he could sit there and watch me torture myself like this. LOL

After some rest (and lots of food cooked by my wonderful husband), I felt a little better. I was still so worried about finishing race morning. Rest and three weeks of tapering before the race makes a HUGE difference.

You got this. No worries. :)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    So exciting about the women from the USA and Canada finishing so strong.

One of the men in our run club finished in an incredible PR of 2:49.

Great pace for MobyCarp. Keeping an eye on a couple of others from our club as well and hoping they are all doing okay in these conditions.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    04/01/18 :::: 5.3 :::: 5.3
    04/02/18 :::: 3.6 :::: 8.9
    04/03/18 :::: 4.8 :::: 13.7
    04/04/18 :::: 1.5 :::: 15.2
    04/05/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 18.3
    04/06/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 18.3
    04/07/18 :::: 10.2 :::: 28.5
    04/08/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 32.0
    04/09/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 35.2
    04/10/18 :::: 3.7 :::: 38.8
    04/11/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 38.8
    04/12/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 42.3
    04/13/18 :::: 3.4 :::: 45.8
    04/14/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 45.8
    04/15/18 :::: 8.0 :::: 53.8
    04/16/18 :::: 2.5 :::: 56.3

My run today was another treadmill run before my circuit training class, so cut a bit short. That will be my last major workout for the week so I'm hopefully feeling fresh for Sunday's half. I was going to go to my run group tonight and just do an easy base run but the pouring down cold rain has me saying no thanks to that. Need to protect my health you know!

@polskagirl01 I think you are totally right on with your points to remember. You did it, even though you are so tired from all the weeks of training. Your race will be a totally different thing after a nice taper. I'm sure you needed a little emotional release. Just remember, you are awesome!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Anyone know?

She finished 6th and apparently needed serious medical attention immediately afterward.

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Kevin (MobyCarp) crossed the 5K point at 24:25; 7:52/min mile pace!

I wish I could run a 5k in under 25 minutes.....let alone at the beginning of a Marathon!!!!

OMG, Right! If I tried to run a 5k that fast I would be DONE. Forget about a marathon.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for April

4/1 10 miles - 10
    4/2 REST DAY
    4/3 6.2 miles - 16.2
    4/4 REST DAY
    4/5 4.5 miles - 20.7
    4/6 REST DAY
    4/7 13.1 miles - 33.8
    4/8 REST DAY
    4/9 REST DAY
    4/10 7 miles - 40.8
    4/11 REST DAY
    4/12 7 miles - 47.8
    4/13 REST DAY
    4/14 REST DAY/BAD WEATHER
    4/15 10 miles - 57.8
    4/16 REST DAY

Races this year
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18 -- 1:47:24

Upcoming races:
    None at the moment

@MobyCarp I know it's a little late, but good luck at Boston.

Congratulations @fitoverfifty on your firsk 25K and AG win and being real.

Congratulations @garygse on your HM. Awesome getting a new PR and 3rd AG win.

@7lenny7 No shame. What you did was still amazing and the conditions you did them in.

@MNLittleFinn
    7M7Og_f-maxage-0.gif

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Kevin (MobyCarp) crossed the 5K point at 24:25; 7:52/min mile pace!

I wish I could run a 5k in under 25 minutes.....let alone at the beginning of a Marathon!!!!

OMG, Right! If I tried to run a 5k that fast I would be DONE. Forget about a marathon.

He ran a 24:46 between 25k and 30k.... now if he can just keep it up!