April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Dang! What a terrible experience for you! I'm glad you were finally correctly diagnosed and hope the BG gets back to normal soon. I don't know who you need to contact about this, but that ER doc definitely needs to be held responsible for this.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile That really sucks, hopefully you heal up soon! You can probably contact the director of the hospital or the college of physicians... Or ask the receptionist, she should be able to direct you to the person in charge.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @rheddmobile Wow! So glad you finally had someone capable to take care of you. Hopefully everything will calm down and be back to "normal" soon. I have crepitis in my knee, my doc says it's age. It is the one with the ITB issue, so I don't doubt its related. Hopefully yours also will be just a noisy battle scar.

What to do? Complain. Online reviews, write letter to the hospital board, maybe even contact the medical board in your state. (ETA I'd put it all in writing). Reminds me of White Chicks, have a BF and write a letter! :wink:

We have a horrible hospital here too. It's known as "Murdering Mercy". My road id says "take me to Baylor Dallas". So maybe next time, you could make the trip to a larger hospital? Don't mess with the yokles?

I do hope the steroid doesn't wreck your BG, and reduces the chance of permanent injury to the soft tissue.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I planned to run today but I’ve had painters at my house all week they are removing the popcorn ceiling and painting. Plus about a mile from my house a fugitive is loose. He’s wanted for murder in Florida so probably not a good idea to run alone in the dark.

Where's the [oh *kitten*] button?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    7.53 miles today

exercise.png
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    @garygse Thanks! And good luck on Saturday!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile yuck!! Hopefully, that is behind you know and you can work on improving!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

In my case I currently do runs as far as 2 hours I do with no fuel. I can do that at my goal MP without any issues. I have done half marathons at race pace with no fuel.

I have run in the 17-20 mile range without fuel

And that should be no problem.

MP pace (since it takes you more than an hour to run one) is then way slower than lactate threshold pace, which means that you should be in the aerobic zone. Thus you're able to burn both fat and carbs the entire way through.

I also assume that it takes you more than an hour to do a HM, which then again suggests running slower than LTP. Thus you're still in the aerobic zone and can still burn both fat and carbs.

17-20 miles again, most likely took you more than an hour, so you're going slower than LTP, and are able to use both carbs and fat.

The fact that you're able to run 20 miles without refueling with no perceived problems suggests that you have trained your body very well to use fat for fuel. That or you are running too slow and would benefit from picking up the pace for a little bit on that long run. Which is where the Gatorade or Gu could come in handy. Mixing a mile (or half mile) interval halfway into that long run a few times at a much faster pace. Something a little bit faster than your LTP. If you feel too sluggish to do that, then take in some Gatorade or a Gu packet about 20-30 minutes before you do the intervals.

I do not have an official half time (well, not counting Shamrock, that was just a bad day) but I am guessing based on training runs I can probably do just under two hours for half. Probably right around 1:50. I regularly run in the 2 to 2.5 hour range with no fuel and no issues. Not sure I could push all the way into the 4 hours of a marathon though. To be fair though, I have not tried. :)
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Got 2 miles in tonight. It was humid..im used to running in colder weather. It was tough but i didnt quit.