PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Good luck to everyone in Boston today!

That is today? Cool! Go team MFP!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    The sisu in this group is just incredible.

I had to Google, and "sisu" is now my word of the year. Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu

"Sisu is a Finnish concept and cultural construct that is described through a combination of various English terms including stoic determination, tenacity of purpose, grit, bravery, resilience,[1][2] and hardiness[3][4] and is held by Finns themselves to express their national character. It is generally considered not to have a literal equivalent in English. Sisu is a grim, gritty, white-knuckle form of courage that is typically presented in situations where success is against the odds. It expresses itself in taking action against the odds and displaying courage and resoluteness in the face of adversity".

I had never heard the word either until I heard a runner say it a year or two ago. It’s just perfect for so much.

How is it pronounced?

Siihhhsooo or Seeesooo? Or something else?

It's a great word.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    No run for me today. Had my alarm set and everything yesterday and then I found a crouton in my salad. Thankfully I did not eat it but obviously ingested gluten from everything being mixed. *sigh*
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso That has to be the worst part of being Celiac. Those incidental mix-ins that happen that ruin an otherwise safe meal and then you just end up feeling like crap anyway.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    5.06 miles this morning. Very windy. Started off with light rain but it stopped shortly after I started.
    exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @MobyCarp what do they mean? Sounds like good marathon weather to me.

I could deal with the cold and the rain, but the 25-40mph winds would definitely not be fun.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Maybe it's normal to have the emotional meltdown now so it's out of the way before race day? Isn't that how this works? Seems pretty normal to me.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Sounds like you are just a bit worn out. But you conquered those 20 miles no matter how you got them done, which is something to be proud of. Now to rest up during taper and rock your marathon on May 13! You totally got this.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    The sisu in this group is just incredible.

I had to Google, and "sisu" is now my word of the year. Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu

"Sisu is a Finnish concept and cultural construct that is described through a combination of various English terms including stoic determination, tenacity of purpose, grit, bravery, resilience,[1][2] and hardiness[3][4] and is held by Finns themselves to express their national character. It is generally considered not to have a literal equivalent in English. Sisu is a grim, gritty, white-knuckle form of courage that is typically presented in situations where success is against the odds. It expresses itself in taking action against the odds and displaying courage and resoluteness in the face of adversity".

I had never heard the word either until I heard a runner say it a year or two ago. It’s just perfect for so much.

How is it pronounced?

Siihhhsooo or Seeesooo? Or something else?

It's a great word.

It's Finnish, therefore will be completely unpronounceable to anyone other than the Finns, and probably sounds nothing like we think it should sound..... :D
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,974 Member
    Options
    Great race report @fitoverfortymom ! You rock! Congrats on the AG win and just the entire race overall.

You are almost there @polskagirl01! You are going to rock your marathon!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,974 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your race @garygse! I looked at the Texas Big Star, but I had a previous commitment that day. Plus, Dallas is a good 2+ hours away from me so I would have had to make a weekend of it. I like to run races that I can drive to in the morning. Who knows though, maybe next year.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Congrats on your race @garygse! I looked at the Texas Big Star, but I had a previous commitment that day. Plus, Dallas is a good 2+ hours away from me so I would have had to make a weekend of it. I like to run races that I can drive to in the morning. Who knows though, maybe next year.

Thank you! I'm going to post this morning's recovery run later when I get home, where I'll be able to thank everyone individually for their kind words!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Kevin (MobyCarp) crossed the 5K point at 24:25; 7:52/min mile pace!

About twice my age, and he is still way faster than me... especially given wind and rain. Incredible!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Kevin (MobyCarp) crossed the 5K point at 24:25; 7:52/min mile pace!

I wish I could run a 5k in under 25 minutes.....let alone at the beginning of a Marathon!!!!

(he's sped up.....should we tell him to slow down a bit? I recall he was after around 7.47 minute miles or something)