April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    So my run did not go as I hoped. Was thinking a marathon test run. But at mile 21 I was forced to walk. Despite drinking Tailwind I was nauseous and my mouth was completely dry. 45 mins later I still feel like I could puke at any time. No idea what happened but it is very discouraging.

So trying to figure out what wrong. I meant it was like 50% warmer I was used to running in BUT I think the Tailwind might be the issue. It really quenches thirst so I was not drinking much. I normally drink to thirst while I run, but maybe that was the mistake. Might have been dehydrated despite drinking. With the heat, I lost a lot of water and my skin was coated in salt. Gatorade and the others are sweet and do not really quench thirst well. I wonder if that would have been better. Only have really one more shot at figuring this out before tapering so gotta think of something.

Could fall back to s-caps, cliff bloks, and Gatorade on race day.

Did you check blood sugar? Something like Tailwind plus diabetes can get weird, since the stress of exercise can temporarily prevent insulin from working properly in diabetics. I have a friend whose bg goes UP during exercise and then drops hours later.

This is my situation too. Only I’m not diabetic.

• Duck_Puddle
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom that’s an outstanding race! Congrats! And you are absolutely NOT an imposter.

@BruinsGal_91 those shoes are fantastic!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    The sisu in this group is just incredible.

I had to Google, and "sisu" is now my word of the year. Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu

"Sisu is a Finnish concept and cultural construct that is described through a combination of various English terms including stoic determination, tenacity of purpose, grit, bravery, resilience,[1][2] and hardiness[3][4] and is held by Finns themselves to express their national character. It is generally considered not to have a literal equivalent in English. Sisu is a grim, gritty, white-knuckle form of courage that is typically presented in situations where success is against the odds. It expresses itself in taking action against the odds and displaying courage and resoluteness in the face of adversity".

I had never heard the word either until I heard a runner say it a year or two ago. It’s just perfect for so much.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

Aaapril....run she will

4/1 11 hrs work/dinner with friends
    4/2 4.29
    4/3 moped
    4/4 4.07
    4/5 3.12
    4/6 3.03
    4/7 4.17
    4/8 2.23
    4/9 rest
    4/10 I did
    4/11 something
    4/12 really bad to
    4/13 my back
    4/14 3.22
    4/15 3.20

Total 27.33
    @fitoverfortymom you rock, too!

Ticker is my goal for 2018 and progress to date:

exercise.png

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Can we get info on how to track the MFP people who are running Boston? If there's some reason not to share this on the thread could someone pm me?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    April Goal: 110 miles

4/1: 6.2 miles
    4/3: 4.6 miles
    4/4: 4.0 miles (intervals)
    4/5: 4.2 miles
    4/8: 11.5 miles
    4/10: 4.3 miles (tempo?)
    4/11: 5.1 miles
    4/12: 5.5 miles
    4/15: 9.0 miles

54.4/110 miles completed

I am so behind on this thread. I am just going to update my run for today and then go back and read everything. I can't wait to read the race reports.

Today I had a slow 9 miles. It was my cutback week so even though it was my long run, it was a little shorter than the last few long runs but I feel like I am getting slower and slower. Part of that may be the weather warming up. I just hope that I can do well in the HM in May. I guess since it is my first one as long as I finish it will be good.

I know there were lots of good races this weekend. Congrats to @MNLittleFinn. You are a badass. And @7lenny7 you are too! I haven't had a chance to read the other race reports yet, but I'm sure they are awesome.
    Good luck tomorrow @MobyCarp!

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to jump in and wish those running Boston tomorrow Good Luck! Conditions are looking pretty tough - cold, rainy and windy! Ugh!!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My goal for the month is 40 miles.

4/12....8 miles The weather was great! In the 70's. The trial that I run on was more crowded than usual. I started late and had hoped to run 9 miles but 8 was good. I am trying to get used to using a blue tooth that my husband purchased for me. It quit after 2 songs and I dreaded running far without music. Fortunately after a mile I was close enough to my car to get earbuds. I ran too fast as usual (for me) but it felt good to get back to running.

After seeing my mother struggling to get up off the couch, I realize that I cannot neglect my health. We purchased an exerciser to help with her knees. I hope that she uses it. She has never exercised and when she was working, she had a sedentary job.

4/15....5 miles My quadriceps hurt all weekend. I worked the weekend. My right hip has been sore and achy, but it did great today....kept my pace at fat burning. My blue tooth synched and it was great to have music while running. My shoe laces untied after 3 miles but I didn't stop to tie. My right foot has a hard callus on the outer edge of instep- which is peeling....ouch!

Total...13 miles

Good luck to all who are running Boston. I hope that it turns out to be a dry day at least.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Bib 22340
    Wave 3, Corral 7
    Back with the slow old geezers this year.

@rheddmobile I think he posted the link too, but I didn't make it back far enough in the thread to find it. You can try this one for tracking: http://raceday.baa.org/individual.html

Who else do we have running Boston? I know there's at least one more... @spiriteagle99 maybe?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Bib 22340
    Wave 3, Corral 7
    Back with the slow old geezers this year.

@rheddmobile I think he posted the link too, but I didn't make it back far enough in the thread to find it. You can try this one for tracking: http://raceday.baa.org/individual.html

Who else do we have running Boston? I know there's at least one more... @spiriteagle99 maybe?
    Thank you!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    The sisu in this group is just incredible.

I had to Google, and "sisu" is now my word of the year. Thanks.

@Orphia New Shirt Logo " Embrace the SISU "

@juliet3455 Ooh, or even just 'Sisu'?
  • Wen2Run
    Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Total - 40.5miles
    Target - 40 miles
    New Target - 80 miles
    To Complete - 40 miles

1/4 - Rest
    2/4 - Rest
    3/4 - Rest
    4/4 - 4.1 miles
    5/4 - 4.9 miles
    6/4 - 4 miles
    7/4 - 3.1 miles. First park run with my daughter
    7/4 - 5.22 miles. Evening run.
    8/4 - 2.01 miles
    9/4 - Rest
    10/4 - 4.21 miles
    11/4 - 4.00 miles
    12/4 - 3.1 miles
    13/4 - rest
    14/4 - rest
    15/4 - 6 miles

That's my "target" for the month done. I have run more miles that I did in April last year. Would like to as a minimum do the same again for the rest of the month. So new target of 80 miles for April
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    0414-6k Total-31.7k Goal-80k

Late update. Headed into the mountains on Saturday with SO, didn't bring watch since I know more or less how long the planned loop is. We planned two loops for the day. Not halfway into the first loop SO starts getting dizzy. Water and Gu didn't help, and the declines in the second part are pretty brutal, so we turned back. I ended up doing a bunch of short up and down sprints to make up for the lack in distance. Not quite sure how far we got, so making a wild guess here.

Congrats @7lenny7 @MNLittleFinn @garygse @fitoverfortymom ! Y'all are epic and inspiring.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Good luck to everyone running Boston. You are all amazing
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Not as impressive as those running Boston today but I still got out and sweated my butt off. Good luck to all that are running
    exercise.png
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    They've postponed today's Red Sox game, but runners are tough and it will take a lot more than some rather horribly windy and rainy weather to stop the marathon.

The weather is pretty vile at the moment. The worst thing for the runners will be all the hanging around before the start. Once they set off, they'll be fine. (Says the woman currently watching the pre-race show from the comfort of the sofa).
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp what do they mean? Sounds like good marathon weather to me.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    4/1 - rest
    4/2 - rest
    4/3 - 7.1km
    4/4 - 4.8km
    4/5 - travel
    4/6 - walking
    4/7 - 21.7km (bad tangents? Ha...)
    4/8 - travel
    4/9 - strength
    4/10 - 4.1km
    4/11 - rest
    4/12 - rest
    4/13 - 5.1km
    4/14 - 10.2km
    4/15 - 60 min walk with kiddos
    4/16 - 5.1km

58.1/100 km

It's light early enough to run 5km before work although normally I'm not awake enough. Donating blood today though so I definitely wouldn't be able to do it later.

Good luck to everyone racing in Boston today!

2018 Races: (italics means not registered yet, only pondering)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K 1:30:57
    3/17/28 St Patrick's Day race 10K 1:24:53
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon 3:05:55
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5Kish
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10Kish
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 10Kish
    7/1/18 Canada Day 5K or 15K?
    7/28/18 Idaho Peak 10K Trail Race
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K
    8/25/18 MEC Trail Race #4 10Kish
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15Kish
    10/22/18 Heartbeat Run 10K