The Face Problem

Options
1235»

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Thank you for answering. I'm going to watch this later when I have free time. I'm glad you are happy with yourself!

Good morning. Please do Sara. Thank you. Still a work in progress. Learning to "let go and accepting >>> moving on" is a game changer for me :)

Happy Saturday!!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I thought that I would weigh in ( no pun intended). I lost most of my weight in 2013. Still maintaining logging and weighing my food since then.....5 years (whew!) Anyhow I am 58 years old, will turn 59 in another month. I kept getting asked when I was going to retire. I was 54 years old at the time, which meant at least 12 or 13 more years. I was asked multiple times. I was really getting angry because I was always thought to be younger than my chronological age. I had worked night shift for years (and still do) and thought that it had to do with not getting enough sleep. It is probably also because of my weight loss. I lost about 47 pounds. I am still at an overweight BMI but have plateaued. 5'4", SW 198...current weight 151. Getting more sleep helps but am still occasionally getting those comments. Ugh. However the comments started in 2013 after I lost most of the weight.

I still would rather be healthy and deal with the wrinkles, then be at 198 and struggling with climbing up steps.

So sorry, Sara...but thanks for having the courage to post this thread.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    I thought that I would weigh in ( no pun intended). I lost most of my weight in 2013. Still maintaining logging and weighing my food since then.....5 years (whew!) Anyhow I am 58 years old, will turn 59 in another month. I kept getting asked when I was going to retire. I was 54 years old at the time, which meant at least 12 or 13 more years. I was asked multiple times. I was really getting angry because I was always thought to be younger than my chronological age. I had worked night shift for years (and still do) and thought that it had to do with not getting enough sleep. It is probably also because of my weight loss. I lost about 47 pounds. I am still at an overweight BMI but have plateaued. 5'4", SW 198...current weight 151. Getting more sleep helps but am still occasionally getting those comments. Ugh. However the comments started in 2013 after I lost most of the weight.

I still would rather be healthy and deal with the wrinkles, then be at 198 and struggling with climbing up steps.

So sorry, Sara...but thanks for having the courage to post this thread.

Thank you for commenting on my courage.

So sorry to you. ((Hugs)). Awesome on your maintenance!!

Fear of maintaining. Well, that's a whole other thread for me but I'll wait for now as I'm still in losing mode
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    If somebody told me my face didnt look good i would tell them something nice in return.
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    Thank you for answering. I'm going to watch this later when I have free time. I'm glad you are happy with yourself!

Good morning. Please do Sara. Thank you. Still a work in progress. Learning to "let go and accepting >>> moving on" is a game changer for me :)

Happy Saturday!!

Gemma.
    I'm 7 minutes into this. Just realized it's 46 minutes long. I need to finish it at a later time. . I'm dissapointed as I see nothing wrong with the journalist's face to require the need for plastic surgery. I really wish the experiment would be on someone who could, can I say, reap from the benefits, perhaps someone.... like me!

I guess it will be interesting to see how they do it and watch the healing process. I'll keep you posted.
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    Kst76 wrote: »
    If somebody told me my face didnt look good i would tell them something nice in return.

That's nice of you
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    What I found is that it takes some time when you getting thinner for the face to readjust.
    I have had those comments too but since I am in maintenance not anymore. Could be food related, but I think it is because time sort of redistributed things in my body - Also still saw changes in my legs and arms after I entered maintenance. Plenty of fluids could help as well.
    PS when I got those comments I opted to ignore them.

Thank you for your response.. I've upped my liquids and changed my diet. Perhaps too late. I'm hoping I will maintain and not regain!
  • guy_1987
    guy_1987 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 and have lost 30 or so pounds but I still feel I can contribute to this.

I would just like to add that some people say things that are basically not very helpful.

My parents say things like "don't get too thin", "you have a big frame you won't lose much, you're a big lad" and, like you, "your face looks a little thin".

All things that are incredibly demotivating and not good for the self-esteem.

The big frame comment came when I was still overweight and it really frustrated and annoyed me - I was just fat!

You have to ignore some people even if they mean well.

Some people may be jealous you've actually taken control of your body - unlike them.

Also, I get a lot of "advice" from people who have never dieted, never read up on the subject and are not qualified.

Filtering out people's comments and advice is really important.

Good luck with your scenario.

Ask for a professionals opinion if its really bothering you.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Happy Saturday!!

Gemma.
    I'm 7 minutes into this. Just realized it's 46 minutes long. I need to finish it at a later time. . I'm dissapointed as I see nothing wrong with the journalist's face to require the need for plastic surgery. I really wish the experiment would be on someone who could, can I say, reap from the benefits, perhaps someone.... like me!

I guess it will be interesting to see how they do it and watch the healing process. I'll keep you posted.

It is rather long I'll admit Sara. :) I'll scrounge around to see if there is a video focussed on treatments post weight loss for the face. I do know that Fraxel and Thermage seem to have natural results. My Mum had both procedures done, for she developed jowls in her 50's. Recovery phase was horrific to behold. Lol. The thread lift procedure favoured by many in the valley areas around Los Angeles seems to leave a fake stretched aesthetic.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Kst76 wrote: »

That's nice of you

I know :)
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Just to add this..

I went through the same thing. People would call me an anorexic (I was in the past long time ago). This was after I recovered and became clinically obese and needed to seriously lose weight. When I did, people who called me anorexic didn't realize how much it made me feel bad about myself, and it stung because I struggled with it before.

My mom would walk up to me and just make sneers and comments, saying "Skinny minnie" or "bony rony." It really isn't fun nor nice. I am a healthy weight and saw no reason for anyone to think otherwise.. Some people would love to be called skinny, I always wanted to be known as the skinny girl because I was chubby as a kid. Now I realize it can hurt just as bad as being called "fatty."

This made me pause for thought - I guess we should all take care not to make any supposedly jokey comments about weight/appearance. Never know the road people have travelled or the demons fought. I do think you need to set Mum straight; family should be your allies. Congratulations on your healthy weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I've been told that too, that my face has got way too thin - there's no doubt about it losing weight takes its toll on the face. I read recently about looking youthful that its either the face or the body! i.e if we're heavier our face will look less lined/wrinkled than if we're thin! :/ however I will pick being slim any day even if it means looking a bit older. I'll be 49 in June.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!