April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    The new job sounds pretty good @PastorVincent. A pretty park with historic trails sounds like just the type of running I would love.

I hope so! I will find out after I get through all this "onboarding" stuff. Might be a week or 2.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited April 2018
    I have a question for y'all. I need new shoes and the nearest running store is an hour away. I was thinking about ordering some online. Are there any good sites to order shoes at a good price? I mostly order stuff on Amazon and the price there for the Saucony Ride 10 seems to be the same as the running store price.

Know your own feet. If you wear a size in the fat part of the bell curve, you can hunt for deals online. I wear a size 14, and can confidently predict that none of the really great online prices will be available in my size.

So I shop at Amazon and Zappos, because those sites can consistently sell me something that fits. If I want the current model shoe, the price is pretty much going to be the same as in the running store (where I'd have to order it anyway most of the time), but if I'm wiling to go to an older model I can get a better price. So I order the last model or the current model when the next model is about to roll out. I mostly wear Saucony Kinvaras, but I'd expect to see the same kind of price action on the Saucony Ride.

I also keep shoes in rotation, and shoes in boxes waiting to go into rotation. This gives me the luxury of buying when the price is good, instead of having to pay up when I need a new pair of shoes *right now.*

EDIT TO ADD: Online prices for the same size of the same model of shoe vary by shoe color. I have learned to be fashion blind with respect to running shoes. Give me the three cheapest colors, so I can tell them apart. It's not worth an extra $5 for a pretty color of shoe that will just get dirty anyway.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    4/01 - REST
    4/02 - 5.19 (trail)
    4/03 - 3.39
    4/04 - 5.38 (trail)
    4/05 - 4
    4/06 - 3
    4/07 - 10.62
    4/08 - REST
    4/09 - 5.13 (trail)
    4/10 - 4.9
    4/11 - 4.1 (trail)
    4/12 - REST
    4/13 - REST
    4/14 - 25k!! (41st of all women, 1st AG finish)
    4/15 - REST
    4/16 - REST
    4/17 - 3
    4/18 - 4 (trail)
    4/19 - Strength/stretch
    4/20 - 10
    4/21 - Cross Train Les Mills Bodypump
    4/22 - 5 mile hike
    4/23 - 3 (trail)
    4/24 - 4.24

Wasn't going to run today, but my new shoes beckoned. They were a little tingly in the baby toes around mile one, but settled in nicely. Less cushion than I'm used to, but still a "level 4." Was interesting to finally get the gait analysis done. I've been used to having to choose a wide shoe, but I measured within the normal range. I guess my feet aren't fat any more! I think I'll always want/need a wider toe box, but being able to by regular width shoes is a real-life game changer for me y'all.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    My goodness @MobyCarp ! Size 14? I'll never complain about finding the right size anything again.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    Thanks @7lenny7 and @MobyCarp . I live out in the sticks and so unless I want to drive an hour or an hour and a half I don't have many choices, especially for shoes. I order a lot of stuff on Amazon so I will probably just look there if I can find my size. If I looked for Ride 9 or Ride 8 would they be about the same as the Ride 10? I may just go with the 10 since I know it works for me and I can't afford to get 2 new pairs of shoes before the HM next month.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,468 Member
    Thanks @7lenny7 and @MobyCarp . I live out in the sticks and so unless I want to drive an hour or an hour and a half I don't have many choices, especially for shoes. I order a lot of stuff on Amazon so I will probably just look there if I can find my size. If I looked for Ride 9 or Ride 8 would they be about the same as the Ride 10? I may just go with the 10 since I know it works for me and I can't afford to get 2 new pairs of shoes before the HM next month.

That all depends. Sometimes the changes from version to version are minimal, sometimes they're drastic enough that what once worked for you no longer does. Quite often if you read reviews for a certain model, they'll describe the changes from the previous model.

• kgirlhart
    7lenny7 wrote: »

That all depends. Sometimes the changes from version to version are minimal, sometimes they're drastic enough that what once worked for you no longer does. Quite often if you read reviews for a certain model, they'll describe the changes from the previous model.

Thanks. I'll probably stick to the 10s for now since I know I like them but I may look at some of the others later on if I can find a good price.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member

Thanks. I'll probably stick to the 10s for now since I know I like them but I may look at some of the others later on if I can find a good price.

When the 11s come out, you should be able to find the 10s at a cheaper price. That is when I stock up.
  • kgirlhart
    lporter229 wrote: »

When the 11s come out, you should be able to find the 10s at a cheaper price. That is when I stock up.

That's a great idea!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    04/01/18 - 8 Miles - 9:59 Pace
    04/02/18 - Rest
    04/03/18 - 10 miles - 9:27 Pace
    04/04/18 - 10 miles @ 4% grade and 7:43 pace
    04/05/18 - 0
    04/06/18 - 0
    04/07/18 - 11.7 miles - 2 races and a bit more
    04/08/18 - 0
    04/09/18 - 0
    04/10/18 - 12.1 miles @ 9:27 pace
    04/11/18 - 12.1 miles @ 9:00 pace
    04/12/18 - 11 miles @ 9:00 pace
    04/13/18 - 10 miles @ 9:04 pace
    04/14/18 - 21 miles @ 9:55 pace
    04/15/18 - Rest
    04/16/18 - 0
    04/17/18 - 8 miles @ 7MPH and 4.5% grade
    04/18/18 - 7 miles @ 8:57 pace
    04/19/18 - 10 miles @ 8:00 avg pace and 4% grade
    04/20/18 - Red Robin to celebrate last day a work
    04/21/18 - 17 miles @ 9:38 pace
    04/22/18 - 8 miles @ 9:23 pace
    **Taper Start**
    04/23/18 - Rest
    04/24/18 - 7 miles @ 65. MPH @ 4.5% Grade

Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2018

04/21/18 - 17 miles @ 9:38 pace
    04/22/18 - 8 miles @ 9:23 pace
    **Taper Start**
    04/23/18 - Rest
    04/24/18 - 7 miles @ 65. MPH @ 4.5% Grade

Hey, does that mean I can count my flight to San Antonio Monday? Lol! Am I reading that right? Is there a decimal error? 65 mph?

ETA I've been in stats class all day. Then was allowed to go socialize with a group. Nervous introvert trying to not look like the idiot from Oklahoma in front of corporate "seagulls". (I'm kinda keyed up)

Seagulls... Fly all over and poop on everything. Learnt that today. And SPOC .... Mmmm now I can't remember that one. I know it's not Sex Professional of Canada... maybe Subject? Person of Contact. Eh, kinda sounds similar?
  • jele30
    jele30 Posts: 136 Member
    Tired after work and didn’t really feel it, but yesterday was a rest day. I figured I would get in at least three and see how things went from there. Made it 3.5 miles which I was happy with. The legs felt heavy so will see how things feel tomorrow.

Previous total 20.5
    4/17- 3 miles
    4/18- 5 miles
    4/19- 5 miles
    4/20- rest
    4/21- 3 miles
    4/22- 5 miles
    4/23- rest
    4/24- 3.5 miles

Total: 45/74.5 goal