April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom I loved your race report! I actually got a bit choked up reading it. You are amazing!

To everyone with toenail advice so far, thanks! It doesn't look as close to falling off today as it's back to black and not looking like there is air under it or like it's starting to lift. So I guess I'm in for a long haul with a gross toe haha. I did go up a half size in shoes about 4 weeks ago and ehh... it's borderline. They almost feel too big, but I ran Jasper in them and that was okay.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    4/1 = rest day...sort of (moving day)
    4/2 = 9.5 miles
    4/3 = Vinyasa yoga class and 3.5 miles
    4/4 = 3 dreadmill Miles and 20 minutes strength training
    4/5 = travel for work
    4/6 = travel for work
    4/7 = 13 miles (Outlaw 1/2 Race)
    4/8 = rest day
    4/9 = 7 miles and strength training
    4/10 = yoga class
    4/11 = 10 miles
    4/12 = 3.5 miles
    4/13 = 14 miles
    4/14 = running rest day - walked the pups instead
    4/15 = 10 miles Run/Walk intervals with the running group

April mileage goal = 125 miles / April miles complete = 73.5 miles
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    jine1989 wrote: »
    I ran today even though I really didn't want to. Today's run seemed harder than usual...I don't know. I aimed to run at least 2-2.5 miles but only ran 1.52. The humidity was crazy and there were way too many june bugs and wasps lol. I plan on going out later on for a run once it cools down.
    13.71/40

I'm wondering where all my toads went, my porch is cover with the June bugs! Haha! 1.5 in the humidity is a killer. Keep at it!
  • jine1989
    jine1989 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I ran today even though I really didn't want to. Today's run seemed harder than usual...I don't know. I aimed to run at least 2-2.5 miles but only ran 1.52. The humidity was crazy and there were way too many june bugs and wasps lol. I plan on going out later on for a run once it cools down.
    13.71/40

I'm wondering where all my toads went, my porch is cover with the June bugs! Haha! 1.5 in the humidity is a killer. Keep at it!

Thank you so much! I'm really going to try and push myself because I know I can accomplish more.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Congratulations @fitoverfortymom on the AG award!!!!

Congratulations to @7lenny7 , @garygse, and @MNLittleFinn!

Hmmm I'm missing some racers.... I'm inspired, jealous and motivated by all of you out there! Keep it up!
    I went for a long walk yesterday, 6+ miles. I'm encouaged.
    I had a guy stop and ask me if I walked the whole thing (a loop).
    I replied "yes, it's about a mile".
    He was agasp, "the whole thing?!"
    I thought "you sarcastic dumb *kitten*, it's just a mile." And just walked away.

He had young kids, maybe a mile was far, maybe he was flirting- still a dumb *kitten*. I was baffled, he looked fit. People. Can't wait until I get to run from them. Haha! Maybe tomorrow!!!!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    13.71/40

Thank you so much! I'm really going to try and push myself because I know I can accomplish more.

Push carefully. It's was smart to break it into to 2 runs with the temps/humidity until you get acclimated. I enjoy doing short morning (er lunch) and short afternoon runs. I'm just too lazy to get out early to beat the heat. :blush:
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I came in 1st of 8 women in my age group.

I'm not an imposter.

I have something in my eye. It’s leaking.

Excellent report, and an inspiring finish. Thanks for sharing it with us!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom you totally rock. My only dilemma is which button to hit. Inspiring? Like? Hug? Dammit, I want to hit them all. You are most certainly not an imposter.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    @garygse Congratulations on your HM PR!

@7lenny7 and @MNLittleFinn You both are amazing! Definitely in the sisu category!

@PastorVincent – 21 miles at 9:55 pace? That’s great! Spectacular! Stop beating yourself up!

@sarathes – it takes a while for them to grow back. Like months…

@MobyCarp – best of luck to you tomorrow!

@fitoverfortymom – Congratulations! Great race report and you are definitely not an imposter!

Ran 12 miles with some friends yesterday. Been having problems with lower back and it is not happy after yesterday's run. :-(
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Hmmm I'm missing some racers.... I'm inspired, jealous and motivated by all of you out there! Keep it up!
    I thought "you sarcastic dumb *kitten*, it's just a mile." And just walked away.

He had young kids, maybe a mile was far, maybe he was flirting- still a dumb *kitten*. I was baffled, he looked fit. People. Can't wait until I get to run from them. Haha! Maybe tomorrow!!!!

He probably was not being sarcastic. It probably was a really long way for him. There are people in this thread that a mile seems like walking to the Moon. Honestly, there was a time in *my* life that FIFTY FEET was a bridge too far. We are all at different places in our lives and we need to remember that. :):):)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I came in 69th (because of course) of 113 total racers.

I came in 21st of 47 total women.

I came in 1st of 8 women in my age group.

I'm not an imposter.

Way to rock your first trail race!! You are definitely NOT an imposter. Just lining up proved that.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @sarahthes Mine vary. In the worst case, the toenail separated in the back, but remained connected in front. It grew back underneath in the back, then that part fell off but remained connected in front. After 3 toenails had stacked up, the whole thing finally fell off, then grew back normally. The whole process took about 3-4 years. Others have been much quicker, falling off after a few weeks or months and growing back in less than a year. They usually start with blood congregating under the nail.

I think that is what is going on with my big toenail. It like doesn't want to fall off but it is still somewhat growing. It's starting to feel like it's getting ready to fall off after like 3 years.

I know they say you should go up shoe sizes if you're getting black nails but I can't. My currents shoes are 8 and if I go up to 8.5 they won't stay on my feet. I've tried different brands too, that size is just too big. So I suffer. LOL

My last one took long enough (many months) that I lost track of how long it took. Less than a year. I think.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Wow, awesome job @fitoverfortymom! Congratulations, you are the real deal!

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    04/01/18 :::: 5.3 :::: 5.3
    04/02/18 :::: 3.6 :::: 8.9
    04/03/18 :::: 4.8 :::: 13.7
    04/04/18 :::: 1.5 :::: 15.2
    04/05/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 18.3
    04/06/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 18.3
    04/07/18 :::: 10.2 :::: 28.5
    04/08/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 32.0
    04/09/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 35.2
    04/10/18 :::: 3.7 :::: 38.8
    04/11/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 38.8
    04/12/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 42.3
    04/13/18 :::: 3.4 :::: 45.8
    04/14/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 45.8
    04/15/18 :::: 8.0 :::: 53.8

Yesterday was travel back from Austin and I didn't get a run in. This morning I slept in and dragged my feet but finally got out there. It was a big change from Friday's hot and humid run to being back at the freezing mark. I was super glad it wasn't raining though as we had rain and freezing rain over night.

This will be a taper week before next Sunday's half in Toledo.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Some quick notes i put down this morning. I know its not all 100% accurste, since my memory is foggy.

Weather: rain to dry, to thunder to hail, to sleet to snow and wind with gusts to 40mph
    Trail: started ouyt muddy and icy. Became snow clogged and slippery.

Before: hooked up with andy and jim. Got a pic of the iron range contingent.

Lao 1: some real nasty mud on the trail. Ice in thr Hobbit woods. Rainy. Felt kind of slow but actually clocked in just over 4 hours.

Lap 2: hooked uo with another runner. Weather got better, but trail conditions worsened as ice melted and the trail got slick and soupy in many places. Took it easier but was still sub 5. Had

Lap 3: slower still as the rain stsrted agsin, and it got dark. Thunderstorm came rolling as we were in the ridgeline. Very cool to see, but a forebear of what was to come. Left my running companion at AS4. Slower lap, just under 6 hours

Lap 4: picked up rick and trudged. Some running but not a lot. Left shin started hurting. Rain stopped for a while, but then snow started as ot got colder. Still sub 6.

Lap 5: rick was indesoensible. I was hitting a lot of low points. Really felt like i was crashing at times. Did poorly with nutrition, which did. Not help. Didnt feel like going out for lap 6, with the nasty blowing and falling snow.

Lap 6: went solo. Rick and Jim talked me out of taking a DNF and I am very greatful. Trudged a lot. I might have run like 200m out of the whole lap. Blowing and falling snow from the storm really pelted me a lot. One foot in front of another. Theres the campground, theres the finish line.

After: got my buckle and medal, put my name on the poster. I'm done. Almost falling asleep infront of the woodstove as i take my shoes off. Family is here. Now I can sleep.

Sometime during lap 2 or 3, I saw @7lenny7 at the AS he was volunteeting at. I r
    can't remember what time it was. All I k kw is that it was cool to see hime.

Words. I have none. I am truly in awe of what you have accomplished. I hope you take some time to get the rest you deserve and bask in the glory of this endeavor.

@7lenny7 - Amazing job as well. I was pretty beat after my run yesterday and it really put into perspective what you guys were going through. You're both crazy..in the best kind of way!

@fitoverfortymom - Congrats on an amazing job too! Hard to believe you just started trail running. Thanks for the captivating race report. You are definitely not an imposter!

@MobyCarp and @Ohhim (if you are still hanging around)- Good luck at Boston tomorrow. Go crush it. I know l, and probably many others, won't be getting much done at work tomorrow as I stalk the live results.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    3.86km today, got out before the freezing rain and ice pellets. I can't complain though, it's better (maybe?) than the 17inches of snow we were supposed to get this weekend.
  • Elise4270
    Options

He probably was not being sarcastic. It probably was a really long way for him. There are people in this thread that a mile seems like walking to the Moon. Honestly, there was a time in *my* life that FIFTY FEET was a bridge too far. We are all at different places in our lives and we need to remember that. :):):)

Ya, I'm not saying people that can't walk a mile are kittens. I'm saying THIS guy was a kitten. It was like not knowing Lance Armstrong was talking to you, saying "wow! You took those training wheels off!, Such a big kid now" but I'm 48, not 6.

He looked athletic. GQ athletic. Pretty and fit. Dumb kitten. I'm so not in your league. Keep movin' fella.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    So, um, those of you who have lost a toenail due to running how long did it take to grow back? And did it cause problems with your running?

Also I just learned my husband has a phobia of missing toenails.
    d0ssi4xei6ou.jpg

I figure I've only got a couple more days at most til that sucker falls off. *kitten* it up at my disastrous 10K five weeks ago.

Looking at your pic I don't know if you're going to lose that one. I had one like that which stayed on and just grew out, took about 8 months. If it's swollen under the nail (after the original injury) you will usually lose it IF it goes all the way to the cuticle, but just being bruised in the front it may partly detach.

Mine take forever to grow back, more than a year for a big toe.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Wow 5 days after and 299 posts! Good job everyone!! Let's see..

1/4: 11.36k -w/u and 10k race-
    2/4: 11.1k -Intervals-
    4/4:1.8k -as w/u for strength training-
    5/4: 18.3k -LR-
    7/4: 11.0k -Vacation run-
    9/4: 13.2k -Easy-
    10/4: AM: 10.2k -Tempo- and PM: 1.6k -as w/u for strength training-
    11/4: 1.8k -as w/u for strength training-
    12/4: 2.1k -as w/u for strength training-
    13/4: 7.55k -Easy morning run-
    14/4: 12.5k -Fartlek-
    15/4: 15.1k -LR-

It appears that we are doing well for the moment. It's good to feel healthy and alive!

Aim:119.5k/200k

Stay free of injuries!