What's the best diet or fitness advice you've ever heard?

Replies

• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited April 2018
    SSpeakes wrote: »
    Trust the process

This is the one I am having the hardest time with now that I am in maintenance. I am afraid of getting into the yoyo cycles that ended in failure in the past, so I have still been eating at a slight deficit. People keep telling me to trust the process; the same discipline and attention that took the weight off will keep me stable. Easy to agree to; hard to put into action. The process worked to help me lose over 60 pounds and now I am worried that it might fail and let me gain some back. Why, I don't know...

I trust the process. I just don't trust myself when I stop logging. :/

2. You could either eat whatever you want, or wear whatever you want. You decide.

Oooohhhh....I hadn't heard this one yet. I really like it!!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Be kind to yourself.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Being fit is hard. Being fat is hard. Choose your hard.

I always found it easy to be fat. I've never understood this one.

I prefer being "fit", I'm just not really there yet. But it's a lot harder getting fit than it was being fat.

I agree too. Being fat is very easy. There are things that were kind of harder, but you get so used to them they don't matter anymore. There are also situations that are a little bit uncomfortable like not being able to fit in a seat or taking longer showers, but these are transient. Being at a lower weight is a full time job where you need to be aware at all times, especially if you were morbidly obese like me. That's definitely harder than transient inconveniences.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2018
    I think it's probably an issue of degrees, dontcha think? I was never more than about 30 pounds overweight (not counting pregnancy). I would probably not have the same opinion if I had been 100 pounds overweight.

I didn't have mobility issues. My weight didn't affect my daily life that much. Cutting my toenails would make me huff and puff, but how often does one cut their toenails?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I think it's probably an issue of degrees, dontcha think? I was never more than about 30 pounds overweight (not counting pregnancy). I would probably not have the same opinion if I had been 100 pounds overweight.

I didn't have mobility issues. My weight didn't affect my daily life that much. Cutting my toenails would make me huff and puff, but how often does one cut their toenails?

I think it's both about degree and how kind life was to a particular person when they were obese. I was more than 150 lbs overweight, but I didn't mind it. I experienced little fat shaming and I didn't hate the way I looked. I would have rather been thinner, but it didn't bother me enough to be a problem, physically or mentally.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Put-the-fork-down-youve-had-enough.jpg?resize=560%2C315
  • tunicaf
    tunicaf Posts: 12 Member
    For me it's " step away from the scale".