What AREN'T you eating any more?

Options

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Displaying my ignorance - sorry. PB2??

Powdered peanut butter. 85% less fat and tastes about the same if reconstituted with water. Very easy to add to things and mix in also.

Thank you to both you and @kpeterson539 - I have never seen it in the UK.
  • kellynrwood
    kellynrwood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, this happens to me all the time.
  • kplynn
    kplynn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy PB2?
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I almost never use fat to cook at all anymore. I save my healthy oils for salads, or maybe a teaspoon of sesame oil added to an "Asian style" dish for flavor. I mostly water saute things I used to oil saute. If I really want the taste of the olive oil I drizzle the tiniest amount on to the food after cooking. I have more control of quantities this way and I don't have to worry about heating it (which is very possibly not great).
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    This has happened for me with various foods, for different reasons. I no longer ever have milk (never loved it) or diet sodas (just felt too dependent, went cold-turkey). I've cut way back on nuts and nut butters due to the calorie density and my own lack of self-control with them. Chips I keep to a minimum in the house for the same reason.

I've also cycled through a few foods, eating them a lot for a while, then not at all for a while. Usually just because my taste buds forgot about them at some point. These would include Greek yogurt, boiled eggs, ice cream, apples, Clif or Lara bars.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The only thing I know of that really changed from then to now is the milk. Prior, and for all my life before, I was a consumer of 2% milk. Upon beginning to use myfitnesspal and reading the community pages for the wisdom of other people, I learned that full-fat dairy was good both from a nutritional health but also from a mental health perspective. Now I buy only whole milk, from which I make kefir. I use both whole and non-fat milk powder in the making of my yogurt, and that's something I never did before.
    I made kefir a few times. Didn't like it. I was on a kefir, kombucha, buttermilk kick for a bit and gave that up altogether too.

I use the kefir to make smoothies. I like the smoothies. I use the kefir in my protein shakes. CookiesNCream whey protein in kefir is quite a treat. I use the kefir for baking as a direct sub for milk. I've even used the kefir to disinfect a cheesecake which had been dropped on the floor. It's a remarkably versatile product, not least of which that it means I never again will pour out old gone off milk.
  • LaughHappy907
    LaughHappy907 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Soda and sugared drinks. I still love carbonation, but cant stand to drink something sweet. I bought a diet Snapple peach tea and it lasted me a couple days because I had to cut it with just over 4 liters of water. I used to drink those things in seconds flat! I also use to be capable of drinking a 12 pack of soda in a day. Can't stand more than one every other day now. Its mostly unsweetened tea, seltzer water or plain water for me now.

I wish the aversion to sugared drinks would carry over to candy too. God I still love sour gummy worms and airheads and the like.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    white bread and pasta
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    kplynn wrote: »
    Where do you buy PB2?

Anywhere, lol. I have never been to a grocery store that doesnt have it if you live around most major chains. I order mine online because it is way cheaper though. I buy in bulk on amazon or groupon.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    There's nothing I'm NOT eating, but I have seriously reduced the amount of bread, pasta and rice....
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    kplynn wrote: »
    Where do you buy PB2?

I'm currently on a pb/raisin/celery kick ('ants on the log'), and at around 500 calories a snack, I need to find a lower calorie option, so after reading through this thread I decided to give pb2 a try. I found the brand name, as well as a Jif version, at my local grocery store this morning. Under $5 a package/15, 2tbsp servings per package. Going to give it a try this afternoon!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I jokingly refer to it as "recreational bread"...the rolls, buns, biscuits, loaves that some restaurants serve. Outback Steakhouse & Red Lobster come to mind. I used to love those things and look forward to them when dining out at places that served it. Now I never eat it and don't miss it. I still DO eat bread in some forms (sandwich, let's say) but just having a couple of cheesy biscuits doesn't appeal to me like it once did. I'd rather eat shrimp and vegetables and other buttery garlicky items.

I usually don't eat chips either, but that's mainly because I've never liked chips very much. I crumble tortilla chips on taco salad but I just skip the chips & salsa in Mexican restaurants (for example) because I feel like 2 chips or 34 chips feels pretty much the same and I'm over it.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Oreos. 140 calories for only two Oreos?! I used to eat half a sleeve in one sitting. It's not worth the calories anymore.

And I'm burned out on plain oats. I'm sure I'll go back to them at some point, but for now I'm happy with my eggs.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I do go through cycles, but in general I love almost all foods. I've never cut any of them out, just reduced them.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Tortilla chips and dip... Because I end up eating half my daily calories.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Red meat. I gave it up years ago, but then started eating it again and realized I still don't like it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners.

Before I get a bunch of woos, here is some science behind my opinion:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/
    original source - The Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine is a PubMed-indexed, open access, quarterly journal edited by Yale medical, graduate, and professional students and peer reviewed by an extensive network of experts in the fields of biology and medicine.
    artificial sweeteners, precisely because they are sweet, encourage sugar craving and sugar dependence. Repeated exposure trains flavor preference [54]. A strong correlation exists between a person’s customary intake of a flavor and his preferred intensity for that flavor.

So far, the woos have outscored the likes by a score of 9 to 5. I wonder why none of the people who think it is woo posted any links to peer reviewed articles from respected medical journals to support their opinions. I would like to believe it isn't true, but evidence based studies and some personal experience convince me otherwise.

Artificial sweetners in and of themselves don't cause weight gain or stall weight loss nor do they default to weight loss.
    In addition, consensus from interventional studies suggests that artificial sweeteners do not help reduce weight when used alone [2,25]. BMI did not decrease after 25 weeks of substituting diet beverages for sugar-sweetened beverages in 103 adolescents in a randomized controlled trial, except among the heaviest participants [26]. A double blind study subjected 55 overweight youth to 13 weeks of a 1,000 Kcal diet accompanied by daily capsules of aspartame or lactose placebo. Both groups lost weight, and the difference was not significant. Weight loss was attributed to caloric restriction [27]. Similar results were reported for a 12-week, 1,500 Kcal program using either regular or diet soda [28]. Interestingly, when sugar was covertly switched to aspartame in a metabolic ward, a 25 percent immediate reduction in energy intake was achieved [29]. Conversely, knowingly ingesting aspartame was associated with increased overall energy intake, suggesting overcompensation for the expected caloric reduction [30]. Vigilant monitoring, caloric restriction, and exercise were likely involved in the weight loss seen in multidisciplinary programs that included artificial sweeteners [31,32].

Basically people think they're being "good" and overcompensate with other foods 'cuz hey...I had a diet soda, so I can go ahead and have this double bacon cheeseburger and extra large french fry and half a pizza later tonight and it's all good.

I drink a couple diet sodas per day and I maintain my weight because I exercise regularly at eat a balance of calories. Drinking diet soda gives me something other than water to drink and I don't want the calorie hit from a couple of regular sodas in my diet.

I've personally never experienced some kind of sugar craving from my diet sodas...I just like having one at lunch and when I get home with a cocktail.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Eggs.
    I am egged out at the moment and could not convince myself to pick up a dozen the other day, even as emergency/breakthrough food. Usually every 3-5 years or so of regular egg consumption I get burnt out on the wee unborn beasties. It will last anywhere from a couple weeks to a solid year.

Sardines.
    Ate waayyy too many tins of sardines the '16/'17 winter/spring trying to identify those that I liked the best. Am starting to eye the tins left in the pantry so there's hope for 'em yet.