How do you get over an ex?

Replies

• Motorsheen wrote: »
    Ideas?

A trip to Las Vegas and an extra five thousand dollars to burn.

Dont forget the Peyote
  • Max_Adams25
    Max_Adams25 Posts: 64 Member
    @xFunctionalStrengthx sorry who was talking to you?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Ideas?

A trip to Las Vegas and an extra five thousand dollars to burn.

Dont forget the Peyote

....... it's already in the glove compartment, with the ether.

*with a nod of respect to HST.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,895 Member
    If there is one time in your life when it's appropriate to be selfish, getting over a relationship would be that time.

Focus on yourself... exercise and eat appropriately... sleep well... read some good books... meditate... take care of yourself exclusively and do the work necessary to fall back in love with yourself.
  • Motorsheen
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Listen, you are going through a lot, but this area of the forums is full of sarcasm and people being silly and funny. If you can't handle that you may not want to be involved in Chit Chat. It's where people go to get away from too much seriousness.

post reported

.... for too much seriousnessess.
  • damiexxii
    damiexxii Posts: 7 Member
    I started remodeling my house. Doing the demo work with friends while crunshing some beers was therapy
  • Motorsheen
    damiexxii wrote: »
    I started remodeling my house. Doing the demo work with friends while crunshing some beers was therapy

Breaking *kitten* is always good therapy.

The same goes for a weight room....

More than once, I have 'taken it out' on some unsuspecting barbells.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited April 2018
    Make a pitcher of kool aid and listen to some Adele songs.

*covers head from the hit*
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I don't have an ex.
  • Motorsheen
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    I don't have an ex.

How is that possible?

not even an ex-girlfriend?

..... although, I do know a guy in his late 40's who has never had a girlfriend.

He's now retired and happy; go figure.
  • Mindcook
    Mindcook Posts: 11 Member
    You don't "get over". You learn to live with your loss. It is like grieving someone's death. Trying to forget usually backfires in the long run. Live with your memories and with your pain and accept that you feel this way because you are human. Tend to your humanity and more importantly to you. Your ex is gone but you remain, you are alive and the world did not end. Welcome others who support and love and figure what it takes for to love yourself. Ask yourself how healthy it is to allow another person to dictate how you feel. Above all, consider that the other person not being there is not a personal commentary on who you are.
    Be well.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Time and keeping busy.
    Mourn a little the passing of your relationship, reflect on what went wrong but then go do something new with your life. Better yourself. Meet new people. Move on.
    Do not e-mail/call/text/talk about your ex and what you used to do and how much you miss them. Do not take it out on other people.
    Get therapy if you need it.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Time, yes. I don't call or text. When it's over, it's over.

I also put up huge walls and barriers as a coping mechanism. In one way it's good because it helps these sorts of things be less painful, but it makes me pretty closed off to the opposite sex as well. I have basically have no expectations ever, for any man. Then I rarely get hurt. I might cry for a half day.
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Tears, self loathing and ben and jerry's
  • mandy_marie
    mandy_marie Posts: 36 Member
    I would love to know the same ☹️
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    It all depends on the ties that bind. If you have children together you will have to find a way to deal.

If there is nothing in common the ex will fade in to the rich tapestry that is the background of your life, both lovely and bittersweet memories.

I suggest studying the background of the Mona Lisa for inspiration.