Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    @ceiswyn :heart: Love your story.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Me, too...I like that line....what do I absolutely have to keep? I think it would help with a lot of items.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    @ceiswyn
    Lovely story indeed. I didn't know what a housette was in the UK so I asked Mr. Google. I saw lovely indoor and outdoor pictures as well. I was familiar with the architecture but not with the name. I loved it, and I am happy that you found the right approach to simplify your life and possessions.. Well done.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Start of spring cleaning on Monday! I’m so glad I found this thread. It’s given a lot of motivation. Just wish my partner wasn’t such a pack rat. He keeps most of it in out buildings on the property. My first husband was a saver too and when he passed I was stuck with the headache and cost of sorting and cleaning up all his stuff. :s I will never do that to my partner or kids.

Have fun! I can't continue until June, I'm almost jealous. Lol
  • Orphia
    snoo61 wrote: »
    I've gone through all of my clothes and the file cabinet. When I get back home in June, I will be going through my kitchen. I heard that soup kitchens will take pots, pans, and the like, so I'm hoping to donate there.
    Start of spring cleaning on Monday! I’m so glad I found this thread. It’s given a lot of motivation. Just wish my partner wasn’t such a pack rat. He keeps most of it in out buildings on the property. My first husband was a saver too and when he passed I was stuck with the headache and cost of sorting and cleaning up all his stuff. :s I will never do that to my partner or kids.

Ooh, exciting!

Don't forget to update us on your efforts! Post pics if you can! :smile:
  • Orphia
    Recently, I've been able to give away two cupboards that were cluttering up our "Outside Room of Crap".

On Sunday, I then went in there and got rid of stuff that could be recycled, wood that could be burnt, garbage, and stuff for the tip.

Lots of room in there now! Hope to do more this weekend.
  • Orphia
    edited April 2018
    snoo61 wrote: »
    It is a different type of decluttering than most here, but I feel much freer since letting go of worries, anger, etc, toward certain extended family members. There are a lot of people in my family such as cousins, aunts, uncles, and step-family who just aren't that important to me but I used to allow them too much power over my thoughts and put too much energy into trying to please them, impress them, and/or stay in contact with them. This has been a gradual thing for me over almost 20 years (which I know is nuts) but finally I feel I've reached a point where I don't wish any of them poor fortunes but I also just truly do not care what they think of me or if they think of me at all. It's been a very liberating feeling. Some say it is cold hearted or callous but I don't feel that way at all. These aren't people who have ever gone out of their way to show me kindness or attention. I am better off not seeing or talking to them.

I completely understand. I think we all have family members like that, just no one really talks about it. If I haven't seen them, other than funerals, for 20 or 30 years, I don't know them.
    You are better off, and I would count that as decluttering. Congratulations!

Thank you! I quite agree with what you said about not seeing people for 20-30 years meaning you really don't know them. This is something I've had to explain many times to my mother, who struggles with a lot of the same individuals I did...she finally seems to understand that people who were important in my life in the 80s aren't necessarily people I even remember now, as I was a child back then! In fact I believe that she is coming around to my way of thinking also, as she recently spent time with some of her previously estranged siblings and told me "they just aren't people I like".

Haha, yes, so true. I don't add many relatives at all on Facebook, because I don't believe people are friends just because of blood or marriage, or even school "friends".

That's what Kurt Vonnegut called a "granfalloon":

"a group of people who affect a shared identity or purpose, but whose mutual association is meaningless."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granfalloon

It's a "false karass". A karass is a group of people linked in a meaningful manner, even when superficial links are not evident.

I like to think my friends are in my karass.

I've reconnected with some friends who I knew 30 years ago, and we seem to have more in common now. But there are lots of others that it would be phony to believe I have any connection with.

• Gingergal12
    Gingergal12 Posts: 64 Member
    Love this thread! I’m getting ready for a garage sale this weekend. I am finally going through boxes we packed when moving here 10 years ago. I convinced my 23 year old son to sell video games and boyhood stuff. Feeling very empowered and have been on point with my weight loss quest this week
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!