The Starch Solution

Options
124»

Replies

• slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I eat a starch based diet because that’s the food I grew up on. My family’s from the Middle East so we eat lots of bulger weat and white rice. And lots of unleavened bread. You know it as pita bread. It works for me because I watch my calories. My brothers and sisters eat it and their fat because they eat to much if it. So it still means you have to watch your portions
  • Tracy430
    Tracy430 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ecrackin wrote: »
    it's true! but that doesn't negate what I'm saying.
    how many citations would you like?

RE: diabetes
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/8/1777.long
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12936955
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Kiehm TG[Author]&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=941870

RE: heart health
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3501710/
    https://academic.oup.com/ije/article/34/1/173/638493

RE: osteoporosis
    http://nutrition.highwire.org/content/128/6/1051.full
    http://www.vivalis.si/uploads/datoteke/3a00.pdf

RE: Arthritis
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02242946

There are so many more, but I am not a genius, and I don't understand a lot of them.
    https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/hot-topics/
    is where i got all this, so if you want to read up for yourself, feel free.
    There are tons of videos that make it so much easier to understand.

You wrote: "Eliminating oils and dairy and meat allows your body to heal it's arterial damage and let's your body use up the fat it has stored up . . . "

The point is that your body used the fat it had stored up because you were consistently in a calorie deficit. You may have prompted that process by reducing the calories you consumed from animal products and fat (and not replacing them with calories from other foods), but you can reach a deficit while continuing to eat those foods (if you choose). For people who find a HCLW diet without animal products satiating, it may be a good way to consistently reach a deficit. But it isn't the only way to achieve weight loss.

I believe it is a healthier way to be in a calorie defecit. I have lost over 10 lbs on the Starch Solution and I have 20 more to reach my goal. I feel really good and I can eat a lot. I would rather eat a lot of something that is good than just a few bites.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My take on it is that while for most (or at least many) people, you can eat potatoes ad libitum because you will likely reach satiety before you reach maintenance, it won't work for everyone. Clearly if you consume more than maintenance calories of potatoes (or anything) you will gain weight.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Necrosis is setting in
  • JBridg
    JBridg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love the starch solution. I have stubborn fat from pregnancy and I don't enjoy a lot of exercise but I have lost about a pound a week doing this diet for 8 weeks. I don't follow it religiously either. Basically every meal I have either rice, beans, potatoes, pasta, barley, or another starch and then a lot of vegetables. I have reduced oil a lot but use it once in a while. I have changed salad dressings to low fat or skinny girl. I am not vegan either since I have one egg every now and again (from the farm down the road) and use very little cheese but no other dairy. On occassion I will order fish when we eat out (like twice a year) but eat no other meat ever. I don't count calories. I still eat a few chips or cookies here and there but I still seem to lose a pound a week which is fine with me. Also, I feel better! Previously I ate more processed vegetarian foods. We do walk some days in the evenings and I work a couple of hours a day in a preschool cleaning and chasing kids. The starch solution is great for not being strict on portions and it is gread for a variety of tastes. It wasn't a huge adjustment for me. Most people that do it are strict and lose 10 to 20 lbs right away. There are facebook groups that help as well.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    natalexse wrote: »
    It's clear that a lot of people here are either biased or misinformed. The starch solution isn't about deprivation. It's only eating plant based vegan foods concentrating on starchy carbohydrates. This is because your body uses carbs as it's first source of energy. All other sources get stored as fat to use later. You can eat as much as you WANT. It forces you to learn when you are hungry and when you are full. It's hard to binge on starchy carbs because of the density. Plus you won't get fat eating vegetables as long as you're not binging. I did this for 1.5 months and lost 25lbs only going to one spinning class a week. Ignore people who have never given it a chance much less watched his lecture or read his book.

Obviously you have never seen me with a vat of garlic buttered mashed potatoes. Family didn't call me "potato girl" for nothing.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It's clear that a lot of people here are either biased or misinformed. The starch solution isn't about deprivation. It's only eating plant based vegan foods concentrating on starchy carbohydrates. This is because your body uses carbs as it's first source of energy. All other sources get stored as fat to use later. You can eat as much as you WANT. It forces you to learn when you are hungry and when you are full. It's hard to binge on starchy carbs because of the density. Plus you won't get fat eating vegetables as long as you're not binging. I did this for 1.5 months and lost 25lbs only going to one spinning class a week. Ignore people who have never given it a chance much less watched his lecture or read his book.

Obviously you have never seen me with a vat of garlic buttered mashed potatoes. Family didn't call me "potato girl" for nothing.

But they’re not talking about potatoes slathered in butter. Just plain potatoes. Or other starches.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options

But they’re not talking about potatoes slathered in butter. Just plain potatoes. Or other starches.

I have eaten a pot of rice that was labeled as a 'family portion' that had nothing added but some cumin for flavor... I could do the same thing with potatoes that had no fats added - just some basic spices.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

I have eaten a pot of rice that was labeled as a 'family portion' that had nothing added but some cumin for flavor... I could do the same thing with potatoes that had no fats added - just some basic spices.

Me too. Along with ears of Brentwood sweet corn with nothing but salt. I can eat starches until I'm stuffed, and I won't be satisfied unless there is a reasonable amount of protein and fat involved. Only eating "plant based vegan foods" (which is redundant, by the way) is absolutely deprivation to me.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

OK, so potatoes don't count. I can easily eat 2+lbs carrots (plain old raw carrots) in one sitting.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    JBridg wrote: »
    I love the starch solution. I have stubborn fat from pregnancy and I don't enjoy a lot of exercise but I have lost about a pound a week doing this diet for 8 weeks. I don't follow it religiously either. Basically every meal I have either rice, beans, potatoes, pasta, barley, or another starch and then a lot of vegetables. I have reduced oil a lot but use it once in a while. I have changed salad dressings to low fat or skinny girl. I am not vegan either since I have one egg every now and again (from the farm down the road) and use very little cheese but no other dairy. On occassion I will order fish when we eat out (like twice a year) but eat no other meat ever. I don't count calories. I still eat a few chips or cookies here and there but I still seem to lose a pound a week which is fine with me. Also, I feel better! Previously I ate more processed vegetarian foods. We do walk some days in the evenings and I work a couple of hours a day in a preschool cleaning and chasing kids. The starch solution is great for not being strict on portions and it is gread for a variety of tastes. It wasn't a huge adjustment for me. Most people that do it are strict and lose 10 to 20 lbs right away. There are facebook groups that help as well.

if you lost weight you are in a calorie deficit whether you are counting calories or not. your body is counting the calories even if you are not. you are taking in less calories than you are burning which results in weight loss
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    As a person who needs starch to feel full, I honestly don't get the whole Starch Solution thing because I don't understand its absolutism about eliminating protein and fat. It loses me there.

I think that's a mirror to the same issue I have with diets like keto ... the absolutism. The labeling of things as bad for spurious reasons.

Whatever happened to balance and common sense with food?

Final note: I have no issue with this thread being resurrected, that's the purpose of the search function after all. So I guess there's that.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @GottaBurnEmAll It's just that they're new posters and just posting a testimonial, not looking for conversation or asking questions or anything. I find it fascinating :smiley:
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    OP - give it a shot. I find the McDougall diet provides enough variety and energy to keep me satisfied. Others might not.

Weight loss is CICO whether you eat corn, rice and potatoes OR beef, chicken and pork. The key to success is finding something you can stick with it.