Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are Processed Foods "Bad"?

Options

Replies

• dra760
    dra760 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    dra760 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Some processed foods are great. Some are pretty calorie heavy and nutrient poor.

Can't make a blanket statement

I don't usually see people who claim to avoid processed foods to distinguish between the ones that are "great" and the one that are calorie heavy and nutrient poor.

Besides, what's wrong with a delicious piece of cake on occasion esp if it's within the context of an overall balanced diet?

You can have cake and not have it be processed. i think it's about the ingredients. to me processed food contains chemicals (such as preservatives) that does not occur naturally in food. i personally avoid processed food such as margarine and stick with foods if they are boxed and canned that do not have preservatives. Sometimes this is hard such as coconut milk because it contains guar but I still eat it. Just keep in mind avoiding food that never goes bad.

Explanation of processed food based on Weston A. Price:
    Unfortunately, in modern times, we have substituted local artisanal processing with factory and industrial processing, which actually diminishes the quality of the food, rather than making it more nutritious and digestible. Industrial processing depends upon sugar, white flour, processed and hydrogenated oils, synthetic food additives and vitamins, heat treatment and the extrusion of grains.
    https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/modern-foods/dirty-secrets-of-the-food-processing-industry/

Can you show me the nearest cake tree? There's nothing about cake that is not processed.

My friuit cake contains only self ground almonds and raisins which currently I'm eating daily.

Both of which are processed...

...raw almonds are not processed...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Some processed foods are great. Some are pretty calorie heavy and nutrient poor.

I don't usually see people who claim to avoid processed foods to distinguish between the ones that are "great" and the one that are calorie heavy and nutrient poor.

Besides, what's wrong with a delicious piece of cake on occasion esp if it's within the context of an overall balanced diet?

You can have cake and not have it be processed. i think it's about the ingredients. to me processed food contains chemicals (such as preservatives) that does not occur naturally in food. i personally avoid processed food such as margarine and stick with foods if they are boxed and canned that do not have preservatives. Sometimes this is hard such as coconut milk because it contains guar but I still eat it. Just keep in mind avoiding food that never goes bad.

Unfortunately, in modern times, we have substituted local artisanal processing with factory and industrial processing, which actually diminishes the quality of the food, rather than making it more nutritious and digestible. Industrial processing depends upon sugar, white flour, processed and hydrogenated oils, synthetic food additives and vitamins, heat treatment and the extrusion of grains.
    https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/modern-foods/dirty-secrets-of-the-food-processing-industry/

Can you show me the nearest cake tree? There's nothing about cake that is not processed.

My friuit cake contains only self ground almonds and raisins which currently I'm eating daily.

I’m sure someone will claim that taking the shells off the almonds makes them processed!
  • dra760
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

use self rising flour, alternative sugars such as dates...

Self rising flour just has the baking powder already in it (plus salt), in addition to the fine-ground wheat (and maybe some "enriched" vitamin content). It's not "less processed"; it's "more processed". Date sugar has a whalloping lot of sucrose, just like table sugar (a.k.a. beet sugar, cane sugar).

does the sucrose make it processed? i think of processed differently. Basically all food we eat unless raw is considered process if you base it on your response. But when I think of processed I thing of "Industrial processing depending upon sugar, white flour, processed and hydrogenated oils, synthetic food additives and vitamins, heat treatment and the extrusion of grains."
  • dra760
    Options

I’m sure someone will claim that taking the shells off the almonds makes them processed!

hahaha....everyone has their opinion, right? i was simply trying to make a point to the initial poster of thread: eat well -->nutrition dense food, eat cake once in awhile, & spread the love.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...When it comes to making food choices, whether it is "processed" is a pretty faulty way to distinguish between reasonable choices and risky ones.

^ Agree 100%. It's more irrational fearmongering than anything else.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Yeah. Cake is so processed that even its main ingredients are processed: Flour (usually enriched white flour at that), sugar, butter, vanilla extract, milk. And the baking powder: That stuff is in there just because it's chemikills!

That stuff will surely kill you! May I please have a slice?

;););)

whole fat butter is not processed :)

It comes right out of the cow in those cool, neatly wrapped cubes?

Learn something new every day.

it's great to learn something new everyday! Keeps you mentally healthy. Raw butter is unprocessed, unheated, unpasteurized and unhomogenised butter fat which comes from cream. This means that raw butter contains all of the necessary vitamins and minerals that nature intended it to contain.

@dra760 as a kid my mom and I made butter by hand so technically it is mechanically produced to be in an edible form. No it was not chemically produced like artificial butter.
  • philrtx
    philrtx Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Wootrition and empty calories.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My Fisher whole natural almonds state almonds as the only ingredient for example. The backside reads Live Life UNSHELLED.