Anyone up for some Before/After pic comparison? (Spring-Summer '18)

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    u73hcrxq9m62.jpg

I'm really impressed. You've foun done an amazing job and you look fantastic.

Thanks, I just got back from a cruise, my weight spiralled to 170 lbs, so it means another cut will be starting soon. If I built muscles, hopefully I'll get my lean look, but at a heavier weight (158 lbs maybe??).

I think you look perfect in the 165 pic

Thanks, but I like to go low so I can bulk for a long time. My current bulk which is about to end has lasted 1 year. I could maintain at 165 lbs, but I have only 5 years of lifting under my belt, I am still not near my maximum muscle potential and the recomp process would be very slow at this stage.

I get that. I just finished a 6.5-month bulk and I refuse to cut. Everytime I've cut after a bulk, I feel like I've ended up back at the start and I wonder if I even did anything, which is why I'm going to try to recomp.

Do you think you lost muscle when you cut in the past or maybe didn't build as much as you thought? Or maybe you can't see a difference because you see yourself all the time.. how about when you compare photos? Anyhow I think since you are still lean recomping is going to be great, I think you will be very happy with the results.

Well, my first bulk I went from 114 lbs up to 126 and then cut just a couple of pounds. The subsequent bulks I did I think I just spun my wheels. This one was a lot like my first, but even better. I know there's a difference, but it's hard to see on myself.

Oh I see. How many bulks have you run? I just finished my third, but between my first and second I had a baby so some progress was definitely lost. And likely I will lose some muscle again at some point if we want another. But I figure building something is better than nothing.. so it is really like 10 steps forward, 8 steps back. Uch .. oh well!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    u73hcrxq9m62.jpg

I'm really impressed. You've foun done an amazing job and you look fantastic.

Thanks, I just got back from a cruise, my weight spiralled to 170 lbs, so it means another cut will be starting soon. If I built muscles, hopefully I'll get my lean look, but at a heavier weight (158 lbs maybe??).

I think you look perfect in the 165 pic

Thanks, but I like to go low so I can bulk for a long time. My current bulk which is about to end has lasted 1 year. I could maintain at 165 lbs, but I have only 5 years of lifting under my belt, I am still not near my maximum muscle potential and the recomp process would be very slow at this stage.

I get that. I just finished a 6.5-month bulk and I refuse to cut. Everytime I've cut after a bulk, I feel like I've ended up back at the start and I wonder if I even did anything, which is why I'm going to try to recomp.

Do you think you lost muscle when you cut in the past or maybe didn't build as much as you thought? Or maybe you can't see a difference because you see yourself all the time.. how about when you compare photos? Anyhow I think since you are still lean recomping is going to be great, I think you will be very happy with the results.

Well, my first bulk I went from 114 lbs up to 126 and then cut just a couple of pounds. The subsequent bulks I did I think I just spun my wheels. This one was a lot like my first, but even better. I know there's a difference, but it's hard to see on myself.

Oh I see. How many bulks have you run? I just finished my third, but between my first and second I had a baby so some progress was definitely lost. And likely I will lose some muscle again at some point if we want another. But I figure building something is better than nothing.. so it is really like 10 steps forward, 8 steps back. Uch .. oh well!

I've done four, so I guess I'm at a 50% success rate LOL

I didn't start all this until after kids... I'm too selfish to give any of this up now :D
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I am just wrapping up my bulk so my results are going from lean to not so lean but just to give people an idea of what they can expect when they bulk.

So this is about 7 months between left and right photos, 14lbs gained. I think I did ok, but we will see what I really built after I cut.

tfa9l7eeglib.jpg

Ok so first of all, you look amazing! Congrats!

Second, are those Bowflex adjustable dumbbells I see behind you? I've been looking into getting them since I workout from home. How are they working out for you? Is it a pain to switch between weights?

I have them and they work well.. the only issue I had with them was i out grew the weight.

I've also got a pair of these, but going up to 90lbs/dumbbell
    They are alright but my main gripe is the sheer size can often limit ROM (dumbbells are rather long vs. most standard dumbbells - often will touch/bounce off one another for many exercises). Switching isn't a big deal but it does work against you if trying to do lots of supersets using dumbbells (& if these are your only weights...would be good to have a bodyweight station (pull up post on door, dip station, or TRX) or handy barbell laying around for supersetting)

Added bonus: you can actually take the plates out of the base & use them like plates to get good ROM (Ex) lateral raises with plates vs actual dumbbells is far easier & less awkward).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I am just wrapping up my bulk so my results are going from lean to not so lean but just to give people an idea of what they can expect when they bulk.

So this is about 7 months between left and right photos, 14lbs gained. I think I did ok, but we will see what I really built after I cut.

tfa9l7eeglib.jpg

Ok so first of all, you look amazing! Congrats!

Second, are those Bowflex adjustable dumbbells I see behind you? I've been looking into getting them since I workout from home. How are they working out for you? Is it a pain to switch between weights?

I have them and they work well.. the only issue I had with them was i out grew the weight.

I've also got a pair of these, but going up to 90lbs/dumbbell
    They are alright but my main gripe is the sheer size can often limit ROM (dumbbells are rather long vs. most standard dumbbells - often will touch/bounce off one another for many exercises). Switching isn't a big deal but it does work against you if trying to do lots of supersets using dumbbells (& if these are your only weights...would be good to have a bodyweight station (pull up post on door, dip station, or TRX) or handy barbell laying around for supersetting)

Added bonus: you can actually take the plates out of the base & use them like plates to get good ROM (Ex) lateral raises with plates vs actual dumbbells is far easier & less awkward).

I noticed that, too, especially on exercises like press and bench... I just turned my hands a bit to offset that issue.
  • laurenmalek98
    laurenmalek98 Posts: 1 Member
    pardon the death stares haha progress from january to this past weekend

u56kd1n7ow8t.jpeg
    twg5mzi965xm.jpeg

OMG WHAT'S YOUR SECRET??
  • Mac_ex_machina
    Mac_ex_machina Posts: 5 Member
    First,
    @laurenbastug , @tamlou89 , @daloverlyme , @xFreudianSlip , you all have made great progress! Congrats on your hard work and dedication!!

Back in the saddle again here at MFP after not tracking for a few years...these are my "before" pics showing 15 lbs heavy and about 10-15% too much body fat. Looking to hit 180 and 10-12% total BF before end of summer.

uuxbszsqwo94.jpg

rjkm96ck15zc.jpg

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Hamstring progress
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »
    2013 after 17 months out injured

3q52e19c002d.jpeg

6 months later

yhqn5ut29d9x.jpeg

End on my current bulk last month

s5n50pm9e92o.jpeg
    9a7zunxfmwg0.jpeg

MUCH RESPECT, dude! Well did! Someone else used that for someone else's pics so I will steal that "well did"!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    I am not camera worthy at the moment but will contribute to this post (or a similar one). I must say that everyone that has posted.....

1. Props to y'all for having the courage to post pics and to put yourselves out there like that.
    2. Props to y'all for being so supportive to those that have posted (I commented on one, but that comment goes to everyone who posted before/after pics....honestly, y'all are killing it).
    3. I promise y'all that I will post pics, too! There! Said it...now I have to do it!
    4. Why am I sitting here in Starbucks, in this forum. I need to take my *kitten* to the gym!!!! LOL!
  • stej5639
    stej5639 Posts: 57 Member
    armymil87 wrote: »
    agcssbsuepgz.jpeg
    6b0wvadpncvd.jpeg

That's amazing. What's your workout routine? Just proves that hard work pays off.
  • armymil87
    armymil87 Posts: 44 Member
    stej5639 wrote: »
    armymil87 wrote: »
    agcssbsuepgz.jpeg
    6b0wvadpncvd.jpeg

That's amazing. What's your workout routine? Just proves that hard work pays off.

Thank you! I did the Keto Diet since May 13th 2018 and worked out 6 days a week with a combination of strength training and cardio for 2 hours each day. Only took in 6 grams of carbs for the until May 31st. Then from June 1st till today I did zero grams of carbs a day. I feel great.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Current cut
    hlx53ua6zlux.jpeg
    qichllsqim9w.jpeg

From previous bulk
    bvncr9ihpa28.jpeg
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Here’s a mix of cutting and bulking 😉

Well did to you, too!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Current cut
    hlx53ua6zlux.jpeg
    qichllsqim9w.jpeg

From previous bulk
    bvncr9ihpa28.jpeg

Okay, youngster! Getting damned tired of seeing these pics! You are making it tough for us "more seasoned" gentlemen! LOL! Well did to you, as well! Your abs are SICK, dude!

I know that you have stated that you earn your living from your body....but might I ask what you do exactly?