Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Natural is Healthy Fallacy

Options
13»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Obviously I don't like people who attempt to market bs treatments on the back of fearmongering actual medicine. That said I can't support deplatforming people. If someone wants to speak publicly and other people want to pay to hear them...let it happen. If you dont like it then get your own platform and speak your peace.

I am not comfortable with the idea that if you dont like what someone has to say that empowers you to attempt to prevent their speech. I fear we are getting way to comfortable doing that and every example we accept is another example that normalizes deplatforming as just the thing you do when you disagree with someone.

I am of the same mind, but put a slightly different spin on it.

Society absolutely needs free speech and cannot afford to silence or deplatform people and ideas someone doesn't like. If bad ideas are allowed to foment in silence without rebut this provides the catalyst to growth without control.

I may not agree with your views, but I will fight to the death to ensure your right to speak it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Obviously I don't like people who attempt to market bs treatments on the back of fearmongering actual medicine. That said I can't support deplatforming people. If someone wants to speak publicly and other people want to pay to hear them...let it happen. If you dont like it then get your own platform and speak your peace.

I am not comfortable with the idea that if you dont like what someone has to say that empowers you to attempt to prevent their speech. I fear we are getting way to comfortable doing that and every example we accept is another example that normalizes deplatforming as just the thing you do when you disagree with someone.

I am of the same mind, but put a slightly different spin on it.

Society absolutely needs free speech and cannot afford to silence or deplatform people and ideas someone doesn't like. If bad ideas are allowed to foment in silence without rebut this provides the catalyst to growth without control.

I may not agree with your views, but I will fight to the death to ensure your right to speak it.

You can see it over the last 50-80 years.

When you can point to how various groups promoting foolish philosophies, racism, communism, etc are allowed to speak their piece and are appropriately ignored or answered in kind they wither, and when they're squelched either by social pressure or legal means, they grow underground until they become malignant. Bad ideas wither in the light.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A disturbing trend of our time is the bigger platform allowed to the fringe, thanks to the internet. Fringers can find each other and reinforce their beliefs in the comfort of their community, with few opposing voices.

Canada recently got a violent awakening to the community of “incels” for instance.

I think the pig farmer vitamin peddler and his son, mentioned above, I believe, is another.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    A disturbinginevitable trend of our time is the bigger platform allowed to the fringe, thanks to the internet. Fringers can find each other and reinforce their beliefs in the comfort of their community, with few opposing voices.

Canada recently got a violent awakening to the community of “incels” for instance.

I think the pig farmer vitamin peddler and his son, mentioned above, I believe, is another.

Did anyone think the entitlement/victim mentality would stop at finance? Incel is simply the latest extension of the victim mentality.

Note there is no effort to improve themselves, just demanding that which has not been earned.