WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2018

Options

Replies

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Kashi brand cookies with protein, are really satisfying! Like a hearty oatmeal cookie, with chocolate, nuts and great for a snack. But, not so sweet that you want to eat the whole package!
    They use dark chocolate. I'm loving them!
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thinking on asking my family to just buy a bead from a bead store for my Christmas gift. One that represents them, etc that I can string on. Let them be part of my great visual! <3
    Rebecca
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    B)
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Pip!

Okie
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Updated bracelet pic. All sparkly ones today!
    7xun8rv6jsoo.jpg
    11 beads!
    Love Rebecca

Can you explain your bracelet method to me please? Did you start out with a blank one or have a few beads and then just add to it?

Tracey in Edmonton

I bought a bunch of loose bead sets, and a the bracelets came in a pack of three. I bought it all at a craft store, Joannes Fabrics. So each of the loose bead sets cost about $4 (total was about $16) and the bracelet pack was $4. I know I didn't spend more than $20. Each bead is a lb lost. I weigh myself mostly every day. If my weight goes up a bit, I just take off my bracelet until it's back down. I have an index card by my bead jar to log everything. I mix up my beads, restringing them. That's why the open ended bracelets are great, because I can unscrew one of the end round things and have fun changing things up.
    I am just thinking positive, and not worried about the numbers on the scale, but more on filling my bracelets!
    This works to make a necklace too, but it's not really wearable unless you make the clasp more of a bow that you can untie to load more beads on.
    When I lost 6 lbs I put three beads on hoop earrings, that was fun!
    Some pics for you!
    t1drpewd3byv.jpg
    a2bmacu5bkps.jpg
    pbwkdk50tjei.jpg
    ud1d5znipc9m.jpg
    e9o7k4y6tagz.jpg
    fadh6124lq89.jpg

That is an awesome idea! I love it. I may have to do that too. Thank you for sharing with me.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    My grandson is in surgery for small bowel surgery. Please pray for him. He was a premier twin and had a bowel surgery when he was in the NICU. So scared.

Sending prayers up for him, Sue.
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone

Sue _ Keeping your grandson in my thoughts today. Hugs

Karen - Speachless is a word I would use. I am glad your son and DIL are up todate and that you have flexibility to step in. Why does the school not make this teacher apologise to your GS. What she did amounts to bullying and can be proven as she went against the request and remotley monistored him. If a child was bullying another child, the teacher would make them apologise.

Pip - Happy birthday

Cold wet and rainy over here

Trish from OZ
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi Sisters, I found this article while researching hormones and thought it was useful information. If only we had a home test we could do to often check our hormone levels and see how they are balancing! I think 1 Tbs a day is not really enough and I don't know how they came up with that arbitrary amount. This info comes from a website called https://hormonesbalance.com:

Not often do we read about food helping to correct hormonal imbalances. In fact, when we hear the words “hormonal problems,” we are conditioned to think of solutions not extending much further than birth control pills, hormone creams and pellets.

Supporting the old mantra of “food is your medicine,” this article shows how innocent seeds can help regulate and support our menstrual cycle.

The technique is called “seed rotation,” and can be used to boost estrogen levels in the first part of our cycle and progesterone levels in the second part.

Who is this for?
    This technique can be used by anyone who is experiencing irregular periods, heavy flows, substantial PMS, and even women going through peri-menopause and menopause.

The technique described here is based on a 30-day cycle.

Which seeds should be used in what part of the cycle?
    Peri-menopausal and menopausal women can start any day and rotate the seeds every two weeks.

Pre-menopausal women who are still menstruating have different needs: From Day 1 to Day 15 (or the middle of the cycle), we need more estrogen in order to build up our endometrium (uterine lining). This is called the follicular phase. Seeds such as flaxseed and pumpkin seeds, one tablespoon each per day, can naturally increase your estrogen levels.

From Day 15 to Day 30, or the second part of the cycle (also known as the luteal phase), the corpus luteum begins to release progesterone. This sex hormone will help thicken the uterine lining and prepare it for implantation.

The high content of zinc in sesame seeds and vitamin E in sunflower seeds have been shown to stimulate progesterone production (see references below). By adding one tablespoon of sesame seeds and one tablespoon of sunflower seeds per day in the luteal phase, we can naturally support the body to produce more progesterone, a sex hormone of which many women experience low levels.

<3 Wendy
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Sue - sending prayers! <3

Wendy
    - I admire your kick-*kitten* spirit. <3

Karen in VA
    - What Wendy said. B) Am crossing fingers your DIL gets set up to home school next fall and work PT. Sounds like Mrs. Evans has some personal problems she's taking out on vulnerable kids. I understand why more and more kids are being home-schooled. So glad we have that alternative here in the US.

Pip
    - What a nice sunny day for a birthday! Enjoy!

Rebecca - always love your photos and your fabulous beads. I remember driving through Coupeville but never had time to walk thru the town. Sounds like such a wonderful place!

Meg - I once heard someone jokingly say the Internet was the Anti-Christ. It has brought so many benefits to our lives but at the same time, has destroyed families and privacy and allowed situations into our homes we never even dreamed of when we were kids. >:) I'm not that religious but sounds like devil material to me. I feel bad for your DH and the frat kids you mentioned. Wish there was a way to put parts of that genie back into the bottle. (((HUGS))) Of course, keep MFP! o:)

Went for another round of allergy shots today.... this time, it was a breeze. Took 2 Benadryl an hour before I went in plus had a different nurse this time who does the injection not quite so deep (I think). Also, thanks to Rita, rubbed the injection spots a bit. Main thing is.... they are working!!

Yesterday's fast didn't go exactly as planned but I think was successful. Only water and a couple cups of black coffee until 3:30 when I prepared a nice salad and bit of warmed up cabbage roll on top, under 500 calories. Total of 22 hours without food from the previous night. Yes, I had a growly stomach up to that point but drank a lot of water when it got too noisy. After supper tho I did have the munchies... felt a bit "famished". Ate 4 squares of 90% cocoa lindt chocolate and a small handful of walnuts, and a little bowl of wheat chex with hemp milk. I then decided to stop. Felt good that I left sugary cookies and Reese cups alone, but was up toward 1000 calories.

Went back and thumbed through the FastDiet book and saw a study where a group of healthy young men were put on ADF - alternate day fasting, no overall calorie restriction. Every other day they fasted for 20 hours. After 2 weeks, there was no weight loss but their insulin sensitivity was really improved.

Looks like no matter what form of fasting a person is doing, there is some benefit. So I'm looking forward to what this Monday will bring. B)

I might be able to get a new set-point of under 160 which will put me square on a BMR of 24.0. :)
    Have a great evening!

Lanette
    Sunny and cool SW WA State
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies,
    Patio party smashing success,but wow am I tired...over 14,000 steps.night night.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    My grandson is in surgery for small bowel surgery. Please pray for him. He was a premier twin and had a bowel surgery when he was in the NICU. So scared.

Praying for all of you

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    not bad for the first day as a 59year old!

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.44min, 121mhr, 12.3amph. 1.5mi= 61c
    apple watch- 62c
    TREADMILL jog- 30min, 1incline, 9.48min mi, 6.0-6.5sp, 144mhr, 3.06mi= 277c
    apple watch- 116c
    bike ride gym 2 sumn sta- 51.24min, 123ahr, 149mhr, 13.9amph, 11.8mi= 446c
    apple watch- 41c
    jog sta 2 wk- 4.43min, 145mhr, 137ahr, 9.09min mi, .5mi= 71c
    apple watch- 57c
    jog wk 2 sumn sta- 3.41min, 8.04min mi, 156mhr, .4mi= 63c
    apple watch- 55c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 15.21min, 10.1amph, 131ahr, 161mhr, 2.5mi= 196c
    apple watch- 166c

total cal 1114

1st time that I hit 10mph biking home. (it's uphill)
    ALMOST hit 8min mi running to the station, missed it by 4 seconds!
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Sue dew, sending good thoughts your GS way.

Pip, Happy Birthday! Hope your day was special.

Karen, you’ve come to the right place. We all share joys and sorrows and laughter at ourselves. This is a great place for support and lots of hugs. Welcome!

Terry in VT
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :)Karen, Welcome. I found MFP and this thread at age 62 after decades of trying to lose weight and keep it off. Since I found these great women, I've lost the weight I wanted to lose and kept it off. I've found a new way to eat and exercise so living a healthy life is easy and natural. I hope you'll keep coming back.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did the deep water class today. The plan for tomorrow is to the Extreme Makeover The Workout DVD

Rye – How I wish I could say that I’m the same weight I was when I got married!

Kim – I was just going to comment to Katla that our police dept will take medications and dispose of them. Oh, another thing, when we had the cat who was diabetic and had to give him insulin shots, the vet told us to cut off the needle part of the syringe, keep the needles (we used a small baby food jar), you can then throw out the syringe in the trash since no one can use it, then when your container of needles gets full, you can just throw that in the trash. One time we had someone go thru our garbage, and they must have been mightily disappointed to find that they couldn’t reuse the needles!

Terry – I’m so sorry you have such pain. What a terrible thing to wake up to – more pain

Kylia – you were missed, but so glad you had such a good time

Put down the slurry of confectioners sugar and borax hoping to get rid of those small red ants. There’s another group forming in the front of the house and I ran out of slurry so I just put some gasoline on it, hoping that’ll kill them. Update: it doesn't look like it got rid of them. I'm just so frustrated that I poured some gasoline on that area.

Karen in VA – is your grandson considered in the gifted range? The problem Bryan had in grade school was that he’d finish his classwork in record time and then do something else. I can’t remember if we requested he be tested or his teacher had to. He was tested with an IQ of 129. The minimum to be in the gifted program was 130. However, his teacher recommended him for the gifted program, she saw how bored he was. In the gifted classes he was given much more challenging work which made him happy. Does the school have multiple teachers for the gifted? Can his parents talk to a counselor, perhaps he could be transferred to another school in the district? I don’t know if she’s the teacher for the gifted in all the schools in the district or just that one. I totally understand your frustration.

M – I do find that if I have refined carbs (white flour, etc), I seem to get more hot flashes. That is a trigger of mine. But complex carbs (fruit, veges) don’t seem to bother me.

Sue – what is a good price for red cherries? One store around here has them for $5.99/pound. Sometimes that store has things on “sale” that really aren’t a good sale at all. So is that a good price?

Suebdew – prayers coming your way

Becca – great visual! What a wonderful idea asking your family to get a bead! Maybe they can get them in their birthstone?

Nurse Karen – welcome!

Jess called. Seems her cat is pooping outside the litter box. This is something she has never done. Well, Jess’s bf took her to the vet up there who couldn’t find anything physically wrong with Shadow. The vet asked the bf to get a urine sample. This should be very very interesting. As we know, cats can hold it for a LOOONNNGGG time if needed. Vince and my guess? She’s reacting to all the change, Jess not being there any more. There’s going to be another change, in a few months she’ll be here for the long haul. Jess said that she might be asking us to take Shadow earlier. Personally, I think that would be good. She’s an older cat so change is hard. To be honest, once she comes here, she’ll probably continue pooping outside the litter box. But eventually she’ll come to the point where she’ll accept the change and stop. I know that at one point our cats were pooping and peeing in my exercise room even tho we had a litter box right across the room. I don’t know what precipitated this. But it’s been a really long time since this has happened. It would be nice if we could pick up Shadow on our way back from helping Denise.

About Denise – I feel really sad. She doesn’t have any friends except Angela. And now she’ll be moving away from her one and only friend. Personally, I would have liked to have just gone up there and visited with her and Pete. Instead, they want us to help them move. I hope Vince’s back is in good shape. Not sure how we’ll be handling it if his back isn’t. Right now I’m doing most of the lifting. Yesterday I put a 40lb bag of salt in the pool. Not that that’s a big problem at all. But I can see me having to lift boxes in the truck.

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Terry – sorry to hear you are in pain, I have a machine embroidery business. I do logo’s, stuff for schools, names, art work… Christmas stockings, Monograms… PM me and I’ll give you my facebook page so you can see pictures. I have multiple things going, mornings I garden for any one of 3-4 clients, afternoons/evenings/weekends I embroider… There are a few other things I do on a “one off” basis… I am really living the “gig economy” and both love and hate it.

Karen – my heart breaks for your grandson….

I ran a workparty of volunteers this morning for the camp garden I work for – the amount of work 11 people got done in 3 hours was amazing! I always feel like I have a new lease on life after they have been there, it is like catch up has happened.

I have this great recipe for ribs, it takes soaking them in apple juice, then smoking them on the BBQ then baking them long and slow. They come out great but it is a pain – especially the smoking them part, keeping the coals hot enough to create smoke but not to hot as you don’t really want to cook them through that happens in the oven. Friends are coming tomorrow for lunch so I soaked them (4 hours) yesterday and am smoking them now, its supposed to be 4 hours, but will do 6 as the gosh darn fire keeps going out so I am in and out fussing with it.

And in California in May it should not be 59 degrees but that was our high today, which makes the BBQing on low just that much harder!

Smiles

Kim from N. California