June 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    @midwesterner85 - Congratulations on your 20K even though it was a tough one! It is so exciting that you will get to meet someone who is such an inspiration.
    @sarahthes - Love your trails!! Such beautiful areas to run!
    @HonuNui - I can't imagine how hard Mother's Day must be! {{HUGS}}
    What happened to the website? Hope your leg is all better from the fall and from slipping on the stairs! Are you far from the evacuation areas? I hate seeing all of the devastation to people's homes and to the once beautiful wild lands and beaches. I know it is all part of nature and rebuilding of land but it is still terrible. I hope you can get some running in to relieve some of that stress!
    @PastorVincent - congratulations on the races in tough conditions!
    @taxgirl1 - welcome to the group!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    I once ate a $5 bill in front of a fellow homeless person to make a point. Later I would regret that point. That friend never forgave me. Moral: sometimes your principals aren't very good friends.

@ctlaws44 That sounds like an interesting story.

fraukazi wrote: »
    First run in June: C25k week 7 completed!

@fraukazi Yay, you!! Good luck in the final countdown to 5K!!

Hello everyone. I’m a runner and I’ve completed half-marathons as well as a one-day 28.3 mile hike. I am training for my first 50k in September and I’d love training advice.

Welcome, @DocMcStuffens ! I'm doing my first 50 km next weekend. Stay tuned! :smiley:

Hugs, @HonuNui

@PastorVincent Bravo on 9th Overall in the 1 miler!!

And that book looks interesting, dammit! I was planning to call it quits on ultras when I've done my 50 km. :smiley:

• huntleigh3229
    huntleigh3229 Posts: 34 Member
    6/1 = 4 miles
    6/2 = 5.5 miles

Blech on hot and humid runs.

Oh, I won a Strava contest! I never win anything- surprised the hell out of me. I entered the Runderwear challenge thing on a lark. Running specific underwear sounds a bit weird but i figured what the hell. Allegedly they are sending me free pairs. We will see... lol

150 goal miles / 9.5 miles complete

Upcoming Races (so far):
    6/23/2018 -Fit Foodie 5k
    10/10/2018 -Tough Mudder Half
    10/27/2018 -Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    1/26/2019 -Fitbit Topical 5k
    1/27/2019 -Miami Marathon

I was sceptical too but got my first pair a few weeks ago. Total game changer for me.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Oh @HonuNui big hugs. Come here and rant at us whenever you like.

And please don’t fall down any more holes!!!!

A few years back I went to El Hierro, the end of the Western world as was, which subsequently suffered a big underwater volcanic eruption affecting most of the pristine dive sites. They have for the most part recovered well so there is hope for your snorkel sites, even given how sensitive corals are to temperature changes.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @HonuNui so sorry :(
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    0602-4k, 0603-5k, total-9k, goal-80k

Yesterday there was a 4k race around the block, organized by our (very) local gym. I think a total of maybe 20 actual runners showed up. However, as they were giving out glow in the dark sticks for every lap around the block, oodles of kids came over and swamped the entire area.

But a race is a race is a race and I ended up with not bad results considering it was so hot out there, even after sunset, that the SO thought I'd turned into a lobster.

Today was a run club event. I ran two 1500m time trials, PRed in one of them, and did a bunch of strength training. No telling how much I'll feel it tomorrow. Add that to all the warm up cool down and random running around I was going as one of the organizers of the event, I'm putting it in the 5k ballpark.

Upcoming races:
    20181027 Mogan Ultra 30k
    20181111 Shanghai Marathon (maybe)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    6/1 = 4 miles
    6/2 = 5.5 miles
    6/3 = 10 miles

Another group run through the park with the running group. It is supposed to rain today and “cool thing off”. It’s “only” supposed to be a high of 93 degrees F today (with 83% humidity this AM).

150 goal miles / 19.5 miles complete

Upcoming Races (so far):
    6/23/2018 -Fit Foodie 5k
    10/10/2018 -Tough Mudder Half
    10/27/2018 -Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    1/26/2019 -Fitbit Topical 5k
    1/27/2019 -Miami Marathon
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2018
    Running Room Magazine had this link to a study about " Wearable Technology for Runners ". It looks like they would like more data if anyone is interested in doing the questionnaire.
    Caveat - one of the Purpose's of the study clearly states Canadian Runners, then in the questions they give the option of a alternate country. I wonder if that is because the majority of Grant Money comes from Canadian Sources. It's through the University of Calgary so should be reputable. Sometimes I'm not sure if it is a valid study or a marketing gimmick.

There was a note in the Running Room story that 88% of runners at events used wearable technology and over half of the runners said distance tracking and injury prevention were the main reasons.

@zdyb23456 A good day shopping Brooks and balega bling.
    @PastorVincent The issue of people lining up will always be there. At my Trail HM we had 10-20 people who had never done an event so while sitting in the Bleachers chatting it was suggested they start further back so they didn't get trampled by the super competitive fast runners and if they hear " on your left " just keep running in a straight line and expect to get passed on your left. I said pretend you are driving on a high way - keep to the right side unless you are going to pass someone.
    Like others I send Hugs, @HonuNui.
    Asle sorry you lost some Snorkeling areas, they will return in time.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @Honunui- Hugs to you. May must have been a super tough month with everything piling up like that. Here's hoping that June brings you a fresh start.

@Pastorvincent- Great job on the top 10 finish! I ran an evening 5K last June and it was horribly humid. I was surprised at how much it slowed me down.

Speaking of humidity, this morning I met some friends for a run at a local park. It was a mix of trails and pavement. I really like running here, but this morning it was tough. Super tired legs from hours of gardening yesterday and the humidity was rough, even at 7:30AM. It wasn't just me, the whole group struggled, even our 3 hour marathoner. I just kept reminding everyone (mostly myself) how strong we are going to feel in the fall!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited June 2018
    6/1 - 0
    6/2 - 2
    6/3 - 2

4 of 50 miles

Went with Skip to her training session. They were doing speed work so I tried a new trail in the same park. It was holiday *kitten* going the first mile all pretty up but the return was sweet. First time I trail ran alone. Oh how I’ve missed it.

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    6/1: 1.6 miles
    6/2: 4.1 miles
    6/3: 11.5 miles

Total: 17.2/75 miles

Upcoming Races:
    Wineglass Marathon 9/30
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited June 2018
    JUNE! First... on page nine? I've been busy the last couple of days and the month is only going to get busier - my spouse's work retreat is next weekend, then I'm helping my mom move, then I'm going to the west coast to see my sister and then to a work conference for the spouse. So lots of travel, lots of schmoozing, and on top of that I've got some big deadlines for MY work coming up but they haven't gotten me the workflow yet so I'm kind of sitting on my hands waiting for the poop to hit the AC (although I still billed 60 hours this week, which isn't nothing). The yard work is mostly done although there's certainly still a few things to do. Oh yeah, and I think we're going to start trying for a baby in July. O_O

ON TO RUNNING! My two fitness goals for this month will be lifting twice a week to maintain "mah gainz" and running four times a week, continuing to add distance at about a 10% per week as long as I'm still enjoying myself. I decided to take the month off of logging after inadvertently going into a diet break in May - if that means another month maintaining then so be it. I think running definitely influenced my eating more, although it wasn't the only factor. My current estimates have me running just over 60 miles in June, including my first intentional down week. In other firsts, I'm hoping to run my first 10k distance and just this week hit 10 miles ran in a week for the first time after managing an unfortunately hungover 4.37 mile long run yesterday. Oops.

June Miles:
    6/1 Fr - 0:26:41 - 2.40
    6/2 Sa - 0:54:37 - 4.73
    6/3 Su - rest
    6/4 Mo - lifting
    6/5 Tu - 3.00
    6/6 We - 2.40
    6/7 Th - lifting
    6/8 Fr - 2.00
    6/9 Sa - 5.50

Races!
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 5K (thinking about switching to 10K)

ETA: Something I've been thinking about - outside of the big bucket list races, how do people choose what to participate in? Right now I'm just doing the bucket list thing because I don't know if racing is a thing I'm going to enjoy or not, but in the event I do, there seem to be an awful lot of options out there, and I'm kind of uncomfortable with some of the messaging associated with some of the races. The two I'm registered for are both established events put on by the same organization with exists just to put on these races. But I'm a little overwhelmed by all the other options out there and am not sure about some of the "causes" either or entirely clear on what my registration fees are going towards. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    I have loved everyone's race reports so far this weekend - great job all! I will try to about out to individuals later when I'm not typing from my phone as my family drives to check out a lottery house.

@MegaMooseEsq Outside of the big 'event' races, I picked the MEC race series because it was a) affordable ($12/race entry fee per race since I bought registration for the entire series as a package) and b) a race series designed by runners for runners. I chose the trail series rather than the road series because it sounded interesting, and it has definitely been educational!

My end of July race I picked because of location - we are going to be there on vacation at that time anyway.

My late September race is a repeat of my first 10K that I ran last year. I want to see if I can PR my 10K time on the same course. It's a non-technical trail race.