Science undecided of CICO?

Options
I’m new to the dieting world.

Now 66 years old, thin as a rail for my first 45 years. But my weight crept up over 15 years. I just lost 20 pounds (my first ever) and BMI is now 23. I know maintenance may be a new challenge.

I’m a CICO zealot. BUT, reading the reader comments section on this NY Times article was an eye opener.

(More Fitness, Less Fatness. https://nyti.ms/2sZ8grQ?smid=nytcore-ios-share)

The commenters allege that the Science of CICO is far from settled.

That’s disconcerting and threatens to unseat my conviction that CICO is the gospel of weight loss.

Surely many of the readers who commented there are not rigorously tracking CI or CO.

But, what about the alleged science. Do we need to temper our zeal for CICO? Or tone it down?

Replies

• mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I didn't see anything in the comments that was an attack on CICO, but maybe I didn't read far enough. You might want to post the specific comments that have you asking this question so others can share their knowledge on the correct point(s).
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something from the article? It doesn’t seem to call into question the science of CICO.

If anything it’s enforcing the message, eat less or move more!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Why would anyone waste time reading comments from anonymous posters with no accountability?

Are those posters/comments all that different from MFP forums?
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Why would anyone waste time reading comments from anonymous posters with no accountability?

You mean like any of our posts?

Yup - this was pretty much my point. We've reached my post-modernist phase evidently.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    So you lost 20 pounds though creating a calorie deficit but some random comments on an article are making you doubt that it actually happened?

I have a friend who watched a utube video that said garlic was poisonous to your body. One video and she's on the anti-garlic crazytrain. I sent her all kinds of medical studies, articles but then she became mad. I don't want to eat something that's going to poison me.

I told her that thousands of years of eating garlic by the Greeks and Italians has not proven to be poisonous for people. She made a decision to believe one random opinion and throw everything out with the bathwater. She has not spoken to me again. History, food science did not tell her what she wanted to hear and that's where most of the food debate gets started and never ends. Sigh.

Mmmmm, more garlic for me!

You're falling further behind.