How did you meet your SO?

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    In jail.

Not kidding. ;) But we both worked there.
  • glacierlilly1
    glacierlilly1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    match.com 9 years ago
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    The big no-no: Never get your meat where you get your bread. But I'm a rebel.

Was newly single, started working where I do now. One of the staff electricians caught my eye because he was adorable, and when he smiled? His eyes lit up. Apparently, he felt the same about me. He used to come into my office (it was kind of the hub for the maintenance guys to grab work orders, etc.) and my then-boss started chasing him out. Then cups of coffee started showing up on my desk when I came to work; fixed just the way I liked.

My supervisor lectured me over a soda in the cafeteria, and then my director (who was also HIS director) lectured me in his office about inappropriate relationships in the work place. Thing is? We weren't even dating. Apparently he got the same scolding from his boss and the director. This was in 2001.

We didn't actually start seeing each other until the spring of 2002. We married in December 2003, so this year will make 15 years married. :blush: He medically retired from here in 2009 after an injury, and I am still here, albeit in a different department.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I was divorced just over two years, single Mom working three jobs trying to keep the house for my son and I. After agonizing I decided it was time to sell the house because it was just taking too much time away from spending time with my son. Put the house on the market, sells in that same day. The buyers inspection had some electrical work that they wanted done before the sale. My friend said his cousin was an electrician and he would have him come and see what needs to be done. My friend and his cousin met me at my 2nd job (bartending) on that Sunday. I showed him the paperwork from the inspection, we talked about what needed to be done and he left. The following week he showed up at my house to do the work with his 2 year old son and his cousin. After he was done with the work I asked him how much did I owe him and he said nothing. I was like no really I have to pay you for your work. We went back and forth and he said you can buy me a drink sometime no worries. His cousin then said he is going to be over at the bar tonight after he drops his son off if you want to make good on that drink. They left and well I blew the guy off because I started thinking, I am going to go by myself to a bar to meet up with a guy I don't know???? A month goes by and its time to move so my friend comes over and he brought his same cousin to help me move. B) We spent hours moving all the stuff out of my house, it was an emotional day for me but this guy, a complete stranger, who I blew off mind you, was making jokes making me laugh trying to keep my spirits up.

After a long day we all went to get something to eat and my friend ended up leaving and I had no car so his cousin drove me to my new place. We sat in the car for hours just talking. As I was getting out of the car, he leaned in and kissed me good bye (to this day he will tell the kids I leaned in but hes was the leaner) LOL We were thick as thieves for the next 4 months, ended up moving in together. One day we were sitting in the car waiting for my ex husband to drop my son off after his weekend and he looked over at me and asked me to marry him. I laughed and said no... to my defense I thought he was joking as we literally spoke at length about not wanting to get remarried, that we would live together and be a family but no marriage. When I realized it was a serious proposal my heart sunk and I said ask me again and he was like nope. He waited almost another 3 months before he asked me again. I obviously said yes that time. lol On the 22nd of this month we will be married 16 years. We have three beautiful sons and still laugh to this day about how I said NO. Looking forward to the next 16 years!!!
  • guitargirl55
    guitargirl55 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    At a bar. Thought he was too young to be there (he's actually 4 years older than me). 15 years tomorrow :)
    EdinBeau wrote: »
    At a bar. I had just met him and used him to keep another guy from bothering me. 10+ yrs and going.
    scottyp65 wrote: »
    At a bar called The Hitching Post, no lie! I was in the military at a location I had been once before for some training and went out with the guys to do what we do.....not much:-) and this young pretty lady smacked my leg after telling some unremarkable joke. I told her to never hit me again. I really don't like it after years and years of being the recipient of a few bullies attention. Anyway with that attitude I didn't expect to get much attention, I was wrong. (Turns out she was intrigued by a guy NOT wanting her attention) So that night I decided to marry her. It took 6 weeks to propose, she was technically still married, otherwise I would have proposed sooner. We have been married ever since, 26 yrs now.

At a bar. I had no idea there were so many of us! :D
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    KelGen02 wrote: »
    I was divorced just over two years, single Mom working three jobs trying to keep the house for my son and I. After agonizing I decided it was time to sell the house because it was just taking too much time away from spending time with my son. Put the house on the market, sells in that same day. The buyers inspection had some electrical work that they wanted done before the sale. My friend said his cousin was an electrician and he would have him come and see what needs to be done. My friend and his cousin met me at my 2nd job (bartending) on that Sunday. I showed him the paperwork from the inspection, we talked about what needed to be done and he left. The following week he showed up at my house to do the work with his 2 year old son and his cousin. After he was done with the work I asked him how much did I owe him and he said nothing. I was like no really I have to pay you for your work. We went back and forth and he said you can buy me a drink sometime no worries. His cousin then said he is going to be over at the bar tonight after he drops his son off if you want to make good on that drink. They left and well I blew the guy off because I started thinking, I am going to go by myself to a bar to meet up with a guy I don't know???? A month goes by and its time to move so my friend comes over and he brought his same cousin to help me move. B) We spent hours moving all the stuff out of my house, it was an emotional day for me but this guy, a complete stranger, who I blew off mind you, was making jokes making me laugh trying to keep my spirits up.

After a long day we all went to get something to eat and my friend ended up leaving and I had no car so his cousin drove me to my new place. We sat in the car for hours just talking. As I was getting out of the car, he leaned in and kissed me good bye (to this day he will tell the kids I leaned in but hes was the leaner) LOL We were thick as thieves for the next 4 months, ended up moving in together. One day we were sitting in the car waiting for my ex husband to drop my son off after his weekend and he looked over at me and asked me to marry him. I laughed and said no... to my defense I thought he was joking as we literally spoke at length about not wanting to get remarried, that we would live together and be a family but no marriage. When I realized it was a serious proposal my heart sunk and I said ask me again and he was like nope. He waited almost another 3 months before he asked me again. I obviously said yes that time. lol On the 22nd of this month we will be married 16 years. We have three beautiful sons and still laugh to this day about how I said NO. Looking forward to the next 16 years!!!

I love my electrician! :heart: This is an awesome story.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

She was my Sexual Harassment & Sensitivity Training counselor.

( I kept failing the class )
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I was his boss at a customer service company. We met in May and married in Sept of 2002. He had to move to another department when we married. Neither of us are still with the same company now. But we are still married and happy.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    karsei01 wrote: »
    We actually met delivering children in kindergarden. I was just ending a long marriage, and feeling pretty low. Then just suddenly I saw this girl, just a blink, and knew I had to see her, so the next couple of days I searched the kindergarden when I delivered or picked up, before I saw her again. We just (I thought I was descrete as hell, and not used to getting attention, so didn't suspected response) looked at each other for a long time. I am way to shy to tolk to a stranger...but apparently she had noticed (and so had half the staff there...) so we started talking...and never stopped. We're celebrating our first aniversary next weekend. AND our daughter ( I have two kids and she has one from previous relationship) is off course attending the same kindergarden, so they have followed us from first time we saw each other.

You were delivering children in kindergarten already? What kind of dr school is this?

Edit: also, are you old enough to be using the internet?
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Nah. Sexual harassment is about "UNWANTED" sexual advances, not about the ones that are wanted. You're gold man.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    On the Internet. We're both old timers in the cybersea and both used to post in the same USENET group. We weren't an online couple, but when two people from that same group got married, they held the wedding in New Orleans (where I lived). We hit it off at the wedding and 20+ years later, I still wake up next to her. If they had held the wedding somewhere else, we would have never met in person because I wouldn't have gone to it.
  • ChaelAZ
    Options
    I met first (and only) husband at a bar. He had 2 children from a previous marriage and we later had a beautiful son together. We were together for many years. I lost him to cancer, and we lost all 3 of our children. Because I was in such a terrible place emotionally and mentally I didn't even think or care about dating.

But, I met my current SO online. Believe it or not, we met on YouTube. This was years ago when YouTube was set up to be more interactive socially and I had a lot of friends that I actually spoke to online every single day. He lived in Sweden, I lived in Memphis, Tennessee. I have now been living in Sweden, with him, for 8 years next month. I moved to Sweden to be with him before we had ever met in person, and we never spoke on the telephone before I came. LOL OMG it sounds so crazy now, but here I still am.

fyuskjtp53ck.jpg

Sweden is on my travel list. So lucky for you to be there.
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    We met when he started coming to my church in high school. We've been together 22 years and married 15 years this month.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    karsei01 wrote: »
    We actually met delivering children in kindergarden. I was just ending a long marriage, and feeling pretty low. Then just suddenly I saw this girl, just a blink, and knew I had to see her, so the next couple of days I searched the kindergarden when I delivered or picked up, before I saw her again. We just (I thought I was descrete as hell, and not used to getting attention, so didn't suspected response) looked at each other for a long time. I am way to shy to tolk to a stranger...but apparently she had noticed (and so had half the staff there...) so we started talking...and never stopped. We're celebrating our first aniversary next weekend. AND our daughter ( I have two kids and she has one from previous relationship) is off course attending the same kindergarden, so they have followed us from first time we saw each other.

You were delivering children in kindergarten already? What kind of dr school is this?

Edit: also, are you old enough to be using the internet?

Yeah, I was wondering if they need to be kept refrigerated.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    ChaelAZ wrote: »

Nah. Sexual harassment is about "UNWANTED" sexual advances, not about the ones that are wanted. You're gold man.

but... but how do you know if it's "unwanted" if you don't even make the attempt?

Gotta believe, if Tom Hardy says and does the same exact thing as 99% of us, he scores heavily; the rest of us end up standing tall before Human Resources. (tell me I'm wrong)

Always remember, you miss 100% of the shots that you don't take.
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was set up on a blind date with a guy that my sister and my cousin had been trying to get me to meet for months. Finally my sister literally dragged me out of the house to meet him. As soon as we met, we clicked. Now we're married with a 2 year old son.
  • ChaelAZ
    Options
    ChaelAZ wrote: »

but... but how do you know if it's "unwanted" if you don't even make the attempt?

It is easy to me. People should not try to date anyone from work, but if there is a mutual interest then that is fine. If you ask someone out and they don't threaten a lawsuit, you might be 'ok' to continue. Harassment is continuous unwanted comments or behaviors and that needs to be respected, but I see plenty of folks that are fine with it overall. Tread lightly man!

• Motorsheen
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The truth (for a change)....

I was dating a girl (lowercase 'd' in dating; more like hanging out on occasion) and this girl had a backyard bbq party in one of the beach cities of SoCal.

I met my future bride there and we just chatted, about a month later, the girlfriend called me and said: "Hey, remember the chicka from my party? you guys would be perfect together."

I hate to admit that a woman has ever been right about anything, but in this case, I gotta give the former girlfriend props.