June 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Question: Now that I'm more or less in "HM shape" all of the time, what do I do between races that are three months apart? Starting over on a a 12 week Hal Higdon program seems weird since I don't really want to back down my long runs. Is there a "HM base" program somewhere and then kick it into gear closer to 6 weeks to the race?

That's what I'd do. Just hold your base miles. You can go back to base building where each run is basically the same long boring distance and slow pace. Or have fun with it and work on your 5k times. I liked kicken the first 5k then slowing the rest of the run down for my distance endurance.

It's time to play :wink:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Question: Now that I'm more or less in "HM shape" all of the time, what do I do between races that are three months apart? Starting over on a a 12 week Hal Higdon program seems weird since I don't really want to back down my long runs. Is there a "HM base" program somewhere and then kick it into gear closer to 6 weeks to the race?

That's what I'd do. Just hold your base miles. You can go back to base building where each run is basically the same long boring distance and slow pace. Or have fun with it and work on your 5k times. I liked kicken the first 5k then slowing the rest of the run down for my distance endurance.

I'm going to decide how long I want "long, boring, easy run to be" and I'm thinking somewhere between 9-11. I'm trying to keep it on trail after my next (road) HM, so it's good to have a plan on which trails, how many loops of the trail, etc. I'll have to count on doing. With it being summer, I have a good stretch of time where I can drive a bit further and even do some running on my next race course, which makes my brain very, very happy.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2018
    nope thundershirt did nothing-borrowed one
    there are diy options i might try
    there is a scarf

this one has a few options
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    @skippygirlsmom Congrats to your grad!

@shanaber That was an awesome article (although if I told her that I'm slow, she'd have to widen her eyes when she heard how actually slow I am, lol!)

I did another trip around my lake today, in trail shoes, but they weren't needed. Everything has drained away to mostly firm mud at this point. :)

exercise.png
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    6/1 14miles
    6/2 6miles (walk)
    6/3 rest
    6/4 6.71miles
    6/5 8miles
    6/6 8.96miles

7 miles then 8 strides. It was great again this morning, not muggy or too hot.

The next 2 days I have all day training, so I’ll be waking up at 4:45am to get my runs in before the day starts. I’m not looking forward to it, but I know I’ll want to do it even less in the evening! Thankfully, I rearranged my running to have my shorter runs the next two days.

• Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    @Azercord No personal experience, but it sounds like an interesting problem, so
    In any case, you can also think about doing some strength training shortly before your runs, to simulate the feeling of running on tired legs that you would have if you were following a regular ultra training plan without modification.

I hadn't thought about it that way. I have a heavy legs session that borders a run day and I was going to do something easy but now I'm thinking about doing my sprint/"hill" work after it since you have a point about the fatigue.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    6.08 miles tonight and the first time with my Garmin HRM Run. I'm still not sure what a good result should be for vertical ratio, vertical oscillation, and GCT.

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I'm going to decide how long I want "long, boring, easy run to be" and I'm thinking somewhere between 9-11. I'm trying to keep it on trail after my next (road) HM, so it's good to have a plan on which trails, how many loops of the trail, etc. I'll have to count on doing. With it being summer, I have a good stretch of time where I can drive a bit further and even do some running on my next race course, which makes my brain very, very happy.

OR you could start the full Marathon plan :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    06/01/18 - 0
    06/02/18 - 1 mile race & 5k race
    06/03/18 - 10 miles @ 9:52
    06/04/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:04
    06/05/18 - 0 :(
    06/06/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:30 including hill repeats

07/20/18 - Liberty Get Well Mile
    08/11/18 - Howl At The Moon 5k

--More as I find them - need find a nice trail race

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member

June...I'll change my tune...

6/1 rest
    6/2 1.87
    6/3 rest
    6/4 2.00
    6/5 rest (damned toe...)
    6/6 2.28

Total 6.15

Ticker is my goal for 2018 and progress to date:

exercise.png