WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2018

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,068 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Rebecca I have a friend who gets vertigo if she eats too much salt. Check back and see if you ate anything really salty when you had an attack. You mentioned eating pizza. The cheese in pizza is very salty. If not it is one more thing to check off before you see the doctor about it. The doctor should ask you about salt given your symptoms. If you notice vertigo after eating something salty I am afraid high salt items are off the menu. As long as my friend sticks to a low salt diet she does better. Sorry!

My friend has Meniere's disease. When I looked it up it can also effect your hearing. Are you noticing fluid in your ear. Ringing? Is it harder to hear. Other foods to avoid are coffee, chocolate! Boo!

Perhaps it is related to your thyroid. Do let your doctor know because if it is Meneire's you want to get on top of the symptoms as soon as you can.

Looking this up helps me understand my friend better. I realize some of misunderstandings we have are do to she does not hear as well because of it. The better she sticks to her diet the better she does.

Also please take care when driving until you figure out what is wrong. You do not want to have an attack when you are behind the wheel.

:heart: Margaret
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Hello again:

Okie - We do have 10 acres and I definitely want a brush hog. It will take some saving to realize that.

Lisa - Sorry for your loss. Hope Corey is able to grieve in his way.

Meg - Safe trip to see your DH.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Lisa, so sorry to hear about your father in law. Hugs to both of you.
    Heather, lovely photos, such a charming looking town.
    Tried a class at the Y this morning, core strength, truly enjoyed it! I will be going back for more!! lol I am enjoying my Y membership, glad that I decided to go there!
    Our son and daughter in law have invited us over for dinner tomorrow night. I'm hoping that we can get the air cleared and get our relationship back on an even keel. Also hoping that it will end with us being able to have our grandson at least a few times a month, really would like to get to know him!
    My eating still needs to get on track, but I'm working on it!
    Hugs to those who need them congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,594 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon Ladies -

Barbie - I know that one day we will tire of taking care of 3 1/2 acres. Right now, even though I just spent 3 hours mowing, I wish we had about 10 acres and a tractor that I could brush hog the pasture with.

Lisa - I'm so sorry to hear about Corey's dad. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Rori - Thank you for the kind words. You made me tear up a bit. I don't think of myself as at all inspiring. I think of Barbie and Pip as inspiring. You motivated me to push myself this morning. I was running a little late and it was either walk faster to get in a decent walk before the hubs called or wait 45 minutes and start after I talked to him. I got off my butt and got four miles in in 38 minutes. I had time to take a bathroom break and get my breakfast before he called :smiley: .

Michelle - You are the only one I can think of who likes baked goods and candy and eats them somewhat regularly. I have found that what I call my belly button bulge has increased since I have let processed sugar back into my life after I hit my goal. I am wondering if there is some correlation between that and my bulge? Do you have any insight? Do you find if you don't have processed sugar you notice a difference in your midsection? It's the only thing I can think of that I have done differently since hitting maintenance.

Heather - I am loving your travel stories!

Rye - HUGS!!!

Welcome to the new ladies. Congrats to those with victories. Hugs to those that need them.

Okie in the TX Hill Country

U r inspiring!! U go girl’
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Sue - How much of the 10 acres do you keep mowed? We have a grass front yard and small back yard. The rest is pasture. The pasture part dies off in the summer heat, except for the tall scraggly stuff that waves in the wind. That waving stuff drives me crazy. I can usually go two weeks for the pasture and weekly for the yard. Luckily our mowing season is shorter here. I typically start mowing in late April and can stop in early November.

Okie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did Paul Katemi’s ASAP DVD and some of the Daily Exercise Routine DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Women’s Health Perfect Body Workout DVD.

Lisa – my sympathies to Corey

Heather – lovely photos. I so enjoy looking at them and living your life vicariously

Kim – welcome

Exercised, bought gas, went to Lowes Hardware to get this mold cleaner that I told Vince yesterday that we should get only he didn’t, then volunteered at the Green Room, came home and cut the grass and weedwacked, then went in the pool. I dropped my timer in the pool, bet it doesn’t work any more

Every day I am trying to have one or two goals for Vince. Like today he wanted to cut the grass and tonight I’d like to put the mold remover stuff on the railing on the deck. If I can get him to do one or two things/day, we can probably get a lot accomplished.

Tracey – when your friend’s hubby had to change his diet, what sort of change did he have to make? I wonder if something like this (if it was a TIA) will show up in his routine blood work

Meg – safe travels.

Rebecca – I’m so sorry the vertigo is back

Okie – I’ve never found a correlation between processed sugar and belly fat. I do try to monitor how much processed sugar I take in

Katla – you can send some snow peas my way, I don’t have a problem at all with it

Kim – are you on a water restriction?

We just put this 30 minute cleaner on the deck railing. Vince said he doesn’t see a difference, but I definitely do. Thank goodness Vince told me that there was bleach in the solution. I wore a pair of shorts that I really don’t care about. Looks like I have new work-around-the-yard shorts. My others are getting to where they’ve seen better days. I would like a new work shirt, the one I have is ripping in LOTS of places. Maybe I can get a shirt at the Salvation Army.

Michele in NC
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Michelle - Thanks!! I feel an experiment coming on. I’ll have to pick a time and see what happens if I cut the processed sugar back out of my diet.

Okie
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Tracey the trainer had me sit on floor with a yoga roller (foam cylinder) leaning back I put my calves on the roller and had one leg rest on top —roll your calf until you find the “knot” or most tender spot and lean into the roller for a bit it will hurt, next point your toe and continue to lean, flex the toe etc. do the whole routine with the other calf on the bottom—-hope I explained it ok. There’s probably a YouTube clip of this somewhere. It was a very good massage/stretch and could manage the squats better after I stretched out

Lisa thinking of you and your DH - sending strength and love

NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,594 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 6.24min, 134mhr, 14.8amph. 1.5mi= 74c
    apple watch- 65c
    ROWING MACHINE- 15min, 53aw, 96ahr, 103mhr, 2413meters= 77c
    apple watch- 112c
    Fl exercises- 8.42min, 5sets of 10ea, 5 diff exerc. 77ahr, 83mhr- 29c
    apple watch- 54c
    bike ride gym 2 sumn sta- 50.27min, 124ahr, 149mhr, 14.2amph, 11.9mi= 480c
    apple watch- 470c
    jog sta 2 wk- 4.52min, 152mhr, 137ahr, 9.19min mi, .5mi= 58c
    apple watch- 52c
    jog wk 2 sumn sta- 4.09min, 9.01min mi, 149mhr, 120ahr, .4mi= 58c Apple Watch only
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 17.36min, 8.7amph, 129ahr, 150mhr, 2.5mi= 190c
    apple watch- 149c

total cal- 966

rode to work after the gym
  • lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Michelle – NOPE, no white wine at all. No alcohol. Damn it; I am going to be so cleaned out they’ll be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Picking up all my Pre-op tests done when I had my yearly physical. Wrist has healed; but, they are going to send ‘Home PT’ out. I told them that I did NOT want the lady from Cuthbert. She made me feel very uneasy and asked a lot of questions about things in the house. Mounted deer, was husband a ‘hunter’? “NO, we picked those up the “Dollar Store”. I even felt that she came close to being a little ‘aggressive’. I like the ‘nurse’ that came from Lee County a couple of times; and the man who was in the Cuthbert office; but, I did not remember their names, so hopefully she won’t be the one who comes. She’d call and say she was ‘on the way’ and would be here in 30 minutes and an hour-and-a-half later she shows up after Louis comes in from work. He did not like that at all, then second time she did it I told her that I was sorry but the PT would not be done that day because I had told her that she had to be ‘in an out; before 5:00om. I think I pissed her off because then she just ‘discharged’ me and did not bother telling me why. I had expected to be taking it until I went back to the MD.

Machka in Oz – Will be keeping you and your husband in my prayers. That must be hard on you.

Heather – Love the patio. I could sit there for hours. Both of them

NYKaren – I can do planks because I am very ‘sway back’ and it just puts me into almost debilitating pain and I can barely move.

Katla – As a lifeguard at the city pool we had ‘swimming lessons’ … I felt that ‘if I did nothing but teach them ‘how to tread water’ and ‘roll over on their backs with arms and legs extended’ I had, at least, taught them things they could do while waiting for help. While it isn’t a good idea to ‘throw a kid into water’ I did it with one of my charges and he learned how to do these two things and then I could not keep him out of the pool or jumping off the low dividing board and swimming to the ladder. He still remembers it; and at our last class reunion (which was a multi-class) he came up to me and said that he had had a ‘crush on me’. I laughed and said that I was surprised he ever talked to me after that.

Rye – Double digit thousands? Lordy Mercy – Where do you live? We’ve been in this house about 17 years; and, I think we are beginning to see things start to basically need to be replaced. I want the stupid garbage disposal removed so that the plumbing under the sink can be ‘fixed’ so that it runs the way it should. I don’t know who did the plumbing; but, the neighbor across the street (owns the land, no house) said the last time he came over that it really needed to be taken out – we had just had a ‘new’ one put in. Dishwasher has water down in the bottom of it all the time. Supposedly, that is because something is stopped up. Turn the disposal on, and dirty water comes up in the sink; before it goes back down the disposal. I bleach my sink every week. There are things that I ‘want’ done around here; but, nothing is being done because we need to sell some of our trees first. Has been too wet; and, they have to wait until they have several plots to cut. Maybe then, first I will get my porch finished. GGrrrr!!! If I were alone, I would probably consider renting, too. You’d never get Louis to move out of the country and back into town; I probably would not like it too much either; but, I could sure handle living near the beach somewhere. That’s where we first thought we would retire to when we lived in Jacksonville, FL after getting married. Nope, the old routine of moving to ‘supposedly’ move up the ladder of success. Louis has had a lot more success in being a self-employed house painter.

Pip – We were all sitting eating lunch and people driving through the parking lot and they had to be going a minimum of 20mph. If a kid had broken away from his/her mother, he’d be dead. Good for you for cussing him out – he needed it. People just don’t think that anything is important other than where they are going and how fast they can get there. We have problems of people just breezing through red lights and I am not talking ‘trying to beat the red light by going to the yellow light’. You better look both ways before pulling out. Then they have this sign ordinance in Albany about size and placement of business signs. Now they let their landscaping grow up and you can’t see anything; or they have a list of 10 or 20 stores in a strip mall.

Tracey – I just thought it was strange that we ate 4 hours apart and we got sick 4 hours apart that evening. That was the sickest sick I have ever been.

My oldest son would have to take care of the house and grass around here – way too much for me to do and they won’t let me on the mower.

Going to go back to the ‘sleep study’ MD because the daytime sleepiness just has not stopped, even with the new settings on my Cpap machine.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Lenora
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Oops, I did it again.

This time I bought 10 Minute Solution Pilates. Took the shrinkwrap off, then realized I already owned it. So does anyone want it for the price of the postage?

Michele in NC
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,507 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Good evening, lovelies!

Lisa ((hugs))
    Katla Bullard Beach state park has a lovely horse camp... but it's likely booked solid for the holiday ;{
    Wendy Molly's elf hat and ears fit perfectly, Honey looks like a real sweetie, and we can all tell where your daughter got her good looks!
    Machka good for you for getting your husband moving, even though it revealed more issues. You are his light!
    Michele my dermatologist thinks very highly of white petroleum jelly, e.g Vaseline. You could use KJ's elbow socks to keep it from greasing your bedding. Also recommends Dove instead of soap, always. If you figure out how to search the posts, please clue me in!
    Heather thank you so much for sharin your cruise with us. Stunning pics! Joe won't fly, won't sail, won't leave the country and won't go to Hawaii until they finish building the bridge ;} so I'm really vicariously enjoying your cruise.
    KJ can't wait to hear of the activities you'll think up for your all boy summer.
    Lanette Sabra is the only hummus smooth enough for me. Have tried to make it myself, even using chickpea flour instead of the beans, that was yucky, like paste. Would mashing the beans in a pestle work better than a nutribullet or blender? Love my 30 yr old Osterizer but think it only lasted this long 'cuz I don't use it much. ;)
    Evie wishing the very best outcome for your family at tomorrow's dinner.

welcome nanajo, Kim from FL.

Trick knee being tricksy, especially when turning/twisting. So substituted triple steps for every rolling vine quick turn at line dance class tonight. Still couldn't last the whole session, pooped out after barely an hour. Broke down and took an ibuprofen, hoping knee behaves for T'ai Chi and dog group tomorrow.

Sleep sweet all!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 5/6, meditate 5/6, walk one more step 6/6, knee exercises 5/6, 3/4 times walk Tumble
    times SWSY 0/2, hang up or purge art 0
  • KarenUK56
    KarenUK56 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My father-in-law gave me away at our wedding nine years ago. He was truly a lovely man.

6j2ov6ni4jqr.jpg

Lisa in AR

Aaaah! What a lovely photo! He looks like a very nice gentleman. So sorry for your loss.
    Kind regards
    Karen UK x