June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    6.5km tonight trying to make up for 4 days off this week.
    MTD 21.6km/60km
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I was out of town all until late Thursday night, so I didn't run at all this week until today. I thought I'd do my usual "long" (for me) run, but...I felt REALLY good about 1.5 miles in and then completely wilted at just over 2 miles. I don't know if it was the heat or the time off. I ended up doing 2.3 miles in about half an hour. I haven't struggled like that in months.

Ugh. Let's hope I can get back on track next week.

June goal: 40.0 miles
    Today: 2.3 miles
    Total so far: 2.3 miles
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use a cooling towel on their long runs? My work supplies them for our employees that have to deliver paperwork (they go about 3 miles outside).

I wore one a cooling tie/towel thing the other day for the first time. I had received it in a bag at a race but had never used it. It do think it helped some to remain cool.

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Classic winter's day here - cold (well, this is relative - cold for us, about 14 degrees C), overcast, still and devoid of people. Perfect for a long run.

Running challenge
    1 June: 9.77
    2 June: yoga
    3 June: 15.11
    4 June: 5.47
    5 June: 6.34
    6 June: yoga
    7 June: 10.24
    8 June: rest
    9 June: yoga
    10 June: 13.67

Total, 60.60 of an ambitious 150km for the month

Upcoming events
    17 June, Xterra Trail Run, 11km +/- 200m
    8 July, Xterra Trail Run, 12.1km
    29 July, Xterra Trail Run, 12.5km
    19 August, Xterra Trail Run, 11km
    25 August Mt Maunganui Half
    9 September, Xterra Trail Run, 13.2km
    29 October, either Auckland Half or Queenstown Half, can't decide!!!
    17 November, Kerikeri Half or Xterra Trail Challenge Waihi 20.5km (undecided here too)
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    So impressed @Orphia That’s a mammoth effort. You look suitably and justifiably pleased with yourself. Congratulations.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Orphia well done!!! W00T!!!
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am a total beginner, but I always wanted to start running.

I am planning to start running with the couch to 5 km program which combines intervals of walking and jogging.
    The original plan is 3x a week, but I am thinking of doing it every day (except weekend), i.e. 5x a week since in my case it would be mostly walking in the beginning.
    The main idea is to form a habit of everyday morning activity.

Would that be too much?
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    I bow down to your incredibly tired feet @orphia!
    You are amazing!
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Okay guys, I need some help with my running playlist. I am sick of all of them and I am out ideas. Favorite running songs?

Some great taste in music here!! I have several different play lists on Spotify that I've made up with different songs, depending on my mood that day, each different feels:

Big Beat: Overseer (Skylight (one of my faves!), Basstrap, Supermoves, Doomsday...) Chemical Brothers (Galvanize, Block Rockin' Beats, Do It Again...) Crystral Method (Busy Child, Born Too Slow, Cherry Twist...) and others (this is 1 of my top used play lists, I must admit)

Rock: Godsmack (Whatever, Bad Religion, Cryin' Like a (B)itch...), Kiss (Made for Loving You, Domino,,,) Muse, Judas Priest (Pain Killer...) Rammstein (Feuer Frei!, Engel, Links 2 3 4...), Motorhead, Electric Mary, Clutch...

Pop: (P)ussy Cat Dolls (Don't Cha, When I Grow Up) P!nk (So What, Walk This Way...) Black Eyed Peas (Boom Boom Pow, Pump It...) Rihanna (Pon De Replay, Man Down (One of my fave running tracks!)), Kylie Minogue, Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake...

Then a "Running Mix" where it is a mix up of everything, rock, country, pop, big beat...anything that catches my ear. There are a few songs on each playlist that have become some of my "faves" that I'm going to be putting into a new playlist, songs like "Skylight" Overseer, "Man Down" Rihanna, "Made For Loving You" Kiss, "What Was I Thinking" Dierks Bentley and "Run To The Hills" Iron Maiden.

You are more than welcome to look for me & my play lists on Spotify & look/listen if you want. Same handle as here, but one less "1" at the end!

(Sorry - I really, really like music!)

• zebedeeclare
    zebedeeclare Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Welcome @zebedeeclare ! And good luck on your 10k! Just enjoy it. Walk if you need to. What distance did you run in London?

Thanks - it was nice to get out and get the legs working again :-)

I did the marathon there in April
  • ladysnickerdoo
    ladysnickerdoo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    daneejela wrote: »
    I am a total beginner, but I always wanted to start running.

I am planning to start running with the couch to 5 km program which combines intervals of walking and jogging.
    The original plan is 3x a week, but I am thinking of doing it every day (except weekend), i.e. 5x a week since in my case it would be mostly walking in the beginning.
    The main idea is to form a habit of everyday morning activity.

Would that be too much?

I just started the couch to 5k on Friday. I am also not much of a runner but I needed something different to push me through the summer. I downloaded an app and just started with day 1. I did add some intervals to the first day (12 instead of 8) but only because I have been doing the elliptical and figured I could handle it. Yesterday I did day 2 and since my legs were a bit sore I only did the 8. I started to look in my app and realized each week only includes 3 days. I guess it's set up for rest days in between. Oops! I'm going to take today as a rest day and then plan on running every other day. On the off days I will walk instead of run to get myself in the habit of going out and use those days for my strength training at the gym.
    It's nice to see there is someone at the same place I am in this running journey.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @Orphia WOOHOO! Congrats on your 50k! That is awesome and I love the photo!

6/1/2018 rest
    6/2/2018 2.65 miles
    6/3/2018 9.05 miles

6/4/2018 rest
    6/5/2018 3 miles
    6/6/2018 2.1 miles
    6/7/2018 2.5 miles
    6/8/2018 2 miles
    6/9/2018 2.15 miles
    6/10/2018 2 miles

Total 25.45 miles /80-85

Today was supposed to be 7 miles but it just wasn't meant to be. Yesterday and today I woke up with ears popping and pressure in my head. It wasn't as bad yesterday so I completed my run. My heart rate was a bit high yesterday but I thought it might have been dehydration. I didn't drink as much water Friday as I usually do. I chugged water all day yesterday. LOL

This morning, I was barely moving, practically walking and my heart rate was over 150. I went slow and was watching my hr. I got to an intersection, pressed the button and waited for the light. I got the walk sign and started to proceed across. When I was almost all the way across the semi in the right turn lane decided that was when he was going to go. Not when I first started crossing, not when I was done but when I was right next to him. Needless to say, my heart rate jumped to well over 170. I tried to run but my heart was still thumping hard. I tried to walk to bring it down but I knew today wasn't my day. I turned around and slowly ran home.

This is what I get for trying a new route. I wanted to head east first so I was running into the sun in the first half instead of the second. I thought running into the sun earlier would help with the heat. I guess I will try again next Sunday. I'm scheduled for 10. Hopefully, it will be better!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @ContraryMaryMary - are those poppies? So beautiful.
    I think you meant me - Yes, they're poppies! There are also yellow fields that are pretty too (it's the flowers they make canola oil from, I can't remember the name at the moment), and purple fields that didn't quite look like lavender, so I'm not sure what those are, either. I'll have to slow down and take more pictures :)

That'd be rapeseed flowers. Not sure what the purple ones would be. We'd love more pictures!

The poopies are absolutely lovely!

Yellow tends to be oilseed rape/rapeseed. Canola is the name given to a crossbred version.

Purple not sure - if it looks like a crop, and is more blue than purple, then it’s probably flax - from which linen and linseed oil comes from.

Love seeing fields of poppies. They are just so delicate, and poignant. Don’t think it’s worldwide but the poppy is the flower of remembrance of war dead in the U.K.

You're right about the rapeseed flowers (I guess it's related to, but not exactly the same as Canola then - Canola is the Canadian version, I think?).
    Flax would definitely make sense for the purple.

Haha, I didn't even notice @Elise4270 's autocorrect, poopies would be less desirable to see while running.

Here poppies do have a similar connotation to the U.K... one famous legend is that during the battle of Monte Cassino, the blood of Polish soldiers turned the poppies red.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    11.08 miles today. I'm becoming more familiar with the Garmin HRM Run data. Apparently, I have too much vertical movement and am wasting energy. I'm not sure how to fix that, though.

exercise.png
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 50k @orphia!

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    06/01/18 :::: 1.4 :::: 1.4
    06/02/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 1.4
    06/03/18 :::: 13.1 :::: 14.5
    06/04/18 :::: 0.8 :::: 15.3
    06/05/18 :::: 3.6 :::: 18.9
    06/06/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 22.4
    06/07/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 22.4
    06/08/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 22.4
    06/09/18 :::: 9.0 :::: 31.4
    06/10/18 :::: 6.9 :::: 38.2

Friend texted me to run this morning so I threw on my clothes and headed out the door. She wanted to run an hour and 15 minutes as she is trying to ramp up to running a 15k next month after a while of not running too much. I'm happy to support and have a running buddy, even though my legs were pleading for mercy most of the run. The DOMS are serious this week. I have two days of circuit training and a marathon training group workout to get through before I leave for vacation on Wednesday morning. Looking forward to that break! Hopefully I'll get some easy running in while I'm away - but the forecast is looking hot.