June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat it is the same in Canada, they are especially significant (people wear poppies on their coats/shirts) leading up to November 11th--Remembrance Day. There is also the poem In Flanders Fields by Canadian Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae that mentions poppies on the battle fields in Belgium, I'm pretty sure the poppy is a pretty universal symbol for remembrance of soldiers that have died during wartime.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Did 4 miles today. Slowed down a little and was able to run a bit further before needing to walk. 45.9 miles to go.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    @Orphia that is amazing!!! Definitely makes my numbers look pretty lame lol.

June 1 4 miles
    June 2 4 miles
    June 3 6 miles
    June 4 Rest
    June 5 Rest
    June 6 4.3 miles
    June 7 4.3 miles
    June 8 3.5 miles
    June 9 3.1 Race day
    June 10 7.5 miles
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    daneejela wrote: »
    I am a total beginner, but I always wanted to start running.

I am planning to start running with the couch to 5 km program which combines intervals of walking and jogging.
    The original plan is 3x a week, but I am thinking of doing it every day (except weekend), i.e. 5x a week since in my case it would be mostly walking in the beginning.
    The main idea is to form a habit of everyday morning activity.

Would that be too much?

If you already have a decent cardio program, those first three weeks are nice...that forth one, yeah - take a rest day (at least from running). I'm doing C25K as well. My "rest days" I walk instead of trying to run and it helps so much. That way I still get my morning exercise and miles in, I just don't overdo it and burnout.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    @Orphia That is AWESOME! Congrats on accomplishing your 2018 goal!... So what's next?
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    daneejela wrote: »
    I am a total beginner, but I always wanted to start running.

I am planning to start running with the couch to 5 km program which combines intervals of walking and jogging.
    The original plan is 3x a week, but I am thinking of doing it every day (except weekend), i.e. 5x a week since in my case it would be mostly walking in the beginning.
    The main idea is to form a habit of everyday morning activity.

Would that be too much?

I just started the couch to 5k on Friday. I am also not much of a runner but I needed something different to push me through the summer. I downloaded an app and just started with day 1. I did add some intervals to the first day (12 instead of 8) but only because I have been doing the elliptical and figured I could handle it. Yesterday I did day 2 and since my legs were a bit sore I only did the 8. I started to look in my app and realized each week only includes 3 days. I guess it's set up for rest days in between. Oops! I'm going to take today as a rest day and then plan on running every other day. On the off days I will walk instead of run to get myself in the habit of going out and use those days for my strength training at the gym.
    It's nice to see there is someone at the same place I am in this running journey.

@girlinahat, @ladysnickerdoo, @VUA21 Thanks for the advice! Sounds like a good idea to walk in those rest days.
    I work from home, so my main intention is to create a habit of daily getting out of the house and getting some movement. 3x/week doesn't feel frequent enough to form a habit, but with those walk days between, I think it will be great.
    There is a beautiful park 15 mins biking from my house where I plan to do my training, which means I will include some daily biking too.
    I just need to get up early enough to start before heat hits. That is going to be the real challenge :smiley:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    weat0043 wrote: »
    @girlinahat it is the same in Canada, they are especially significant (people wear poppies on their coats/shirts) leading up to November 11th--Remembrance Day. There is also the poem In Flanders Fields by Canadian Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae that mentions poppies on the battle fields in Belgium, I'm pretty sure the poppy is a pretty universal symbol for remembrance of soldiers that have died during wartime.

I know that the cornflower is the French equivalent to the poppy, but wasn’t sure how widespread the poppy was in other countries. And I don’t think all countries (even those who fought in the First World War) have 11th November as a commemorative date.
  • girlinahat
    Options
    Well done @Orphia - you are an inspiration to us all - ESPECIALLY doing it with limited cheering from the sidelines!!!
  • girlinahat
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Aw @BruinsGal_91 - puffins are just STUNNING birds! Great photo. I’m not jealous AT ALL!!!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 - well tell him we all love it! Awesome photography!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Welcome @zebedeeclare ! And good luck on your 10k! Just enjoy it. Walk if you need to. What distance did you run in London?

Thanks - it was nice to get out and get the legs working again :-)

I did the marathon there in April

Beast! :wink:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    NEW JUNE GOALS, REHAB SMART, 20 hours of activity Work up to 4 minutes of running (50 mpm). Bike all that I can bike.

2---4.05mi, 61min (PT run)
    3---2.58mi, 55 min walk
    4---3.71mi, 54 min (PT run)
    7---3.42 mi, 47 min 5(2-1,2-2)
    8---9.35 mi, 43 min road bike
    10---55 min brick. 6.04 mi bike, 1.67 mi run 6(2,2)

315 min/ 15.43

Upcoming Races
    July 22 Draper Lake Duathlon
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance
    April 28, 2019OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    06/01/18 - 0
    06/02/18 - 1 mile race & 5k race
    06/03/18 - 10 miles @ 9:52
    06/04/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:04
    06/05/18 - 0 :(
    06/06/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:30 including hill repeats
    06/07/18 -
    06/08/18 - 0 :(
    06/09/18 - 12 miles @ 9:29
    06/10/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:22

07/20/18 - Liberty Get Well Mile
    08/11/18 - Howl At The Moon 5k

--More as I find them - need find a nice trail race

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)