The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice about how to help reduce the visibility of the "bat wings". I'm going to go grab some weights and give those a try.

I have a question about pull ups. I've been rock climbing for a few years and think I've gotten fairly strong, but it bothers me that I still can't do a pull up. From a dead hang, I can only raise myself up about an inch, and then I stall. I'm doing assisted and australian pulls ups now, but can you also please recommend some home exercises I can do to strengthen the muscles needed for a pull up?
    Rock climbing will actually increase strength, but the technique is mostly centered around how you use your legs which takes away the resistance on the back.
    So what you can do to strengthen back is exercises like bent over rows, seated cable rows, and dumbell pullovers. And except for the pullovers, go HEAVY as you can for 6-8 reps. But to get efficient at pullups, you just gotta do them. To get better at them, try using a neutral grip (palms facing each other) with a narrow grip. The closer you arms are to your body the more power you can exert, so as you pull up, try to keep your arms close your body. As you get better, you can incrementally widen your grip.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice about how to help reduce the visibility of the "bat wings". I'm going to go grab some weights and give those a try.

I have a question about pull ups. I've been rock climbing for a few years and think I've gotten fairly strong, but it bothers me that I still can't do a pull up. From a dead hang, I can only raise myself up about an inch, and then I stall. I'm doing assisted and australian pulls ups now, but can you also please recommend some home exercises I can do to strengthen the muscles needed for a pull up?
    Rock climbing will actually increase strength, but the technique is mostly centered around how you use your legs which takes away the resistance on the back.
    So what you can do to strengthen back is exercises like bent over rows, seated cable rows, and dumbell pullovers. And except for the pullovers, go HEAVY as you can for 6-8 reps. But to get efficient at pullups, you just gotta do them. To get better at them, try using a neutral grip (palms facing each other) with a narrow grip. The closer you arms are to your body the more power you can exert, so as you pull up, try to keep your arms close your body. As you get better, you can incrementally widen your grip.

What is your opinion on lat pulldowns? In P90X, Tony H. gives you the option of doing them if you are unable to do pull-ups and would rather sub a new exercise instead of assisted pull-ups.

I personally like to do the pulldowns, but feel like they don't strengthen what I need for pull-ups quite as fast as I think they should. Maybe I just need to try adding more weight and fewer reps? Right now I am doing about 90 pounds for 8 reps and still struggle with 1 unassisted pull-up. Certainly I don't have to get to where I am pulling down my body weight (around 140ish) to be able to turn that into a pull-up, do I?
  • Mandyw58
    Mandyw58 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am definitely someone who uses my legs and technique instead of strength. Hopefully these exercises will also help me improve my climbing on overhanging routes. Cheers.

Edit: Sorry, one more question. Is it better to do the bent over rows with one arm at a time using a bench, both arms at the same time, or does it not matter?
  • Cinnamonie
    Cinnamonie Posts: 138
    Options
    Thank you for the "batwing" exercises.....They definitely work that area harder than anything else I've tried, and I love feeling that muscle develop.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What is your opinion on lat pulldowns? In P90X, Tony H. gives you the option of doing them if you are unable to do pull-ups and would rather sub a new exercise instead of assisted pull-ups.

I personally like to do the pulldowns, but feel like they don't strengthen what I need for pull-ups quite as fast as I think they should. Maybe I just need to try adding more weight and fewer reps? Right now I am doing about 90 pounds for 8 reps and still struggle with 1 unassisted pull-up. Certainly I don't have to get to where I am pulling down my body weight (around 140ish) to be able to turn that into a pull-up, do I?
    I love pulldowns! I alternate pullups and pulldowns every other week. The key is that some people's form doesn't match that of a pullup and that may be why (along with strength) that they can't do one. Like I mentioned in another post, switch to a narrower grip, and keep elbows tight to the body and you can handle more weight without worrying about injury compared to if you used a wider grip which can bother some peoples shoulders.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am definitely someone who uses my legs and technique instead of strength. Hopefully these exercises will also help me improve my climbing on overhanging routes. Cheers.

Edit: Sorry, one more question. Is it better to do the bent over rows with one arm at a time using a bench, both arms at the same time, or does it not matter?
    Do both. Each slightly hits the lats differently.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff, thanks for the awesome thread!

My question is on push ups. What's the proper technique to make sure I work my chest muscles on them? I'm never sure how far away from my body my arms should be or the best hand placement.

Thanks again for creating this thread.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

My question is on push ups. What's the proper technique to make sure I work my chest muscles on them? I'm never sure how far away from my body my arms should be or the best hand placement.

From the start position your palms should be about even with the middle of your chest and just outside the width of your shoulders. The more you can get your elbow to travel away from your body, the more you'll activate the chest. The closer your elbows the more triceps you hit. Don't "lock" out at the top.......there should still be a slight bend to the elbow to keep tension on the muscle. Take twice as long to go down as you do up. Good pace is 1 second up, 2 seconds down.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    awesome thread :D looks like you add to it quite often, I'll keep checking back :)
  • Fatcatsmom
    Options
    Bump
  • Fatcatsmom
    Options
    Bump
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

From the start position your palms should be about even with the middle of your chest and just outside the width of your shoulders. The more you can get your elbow to travel away from your body, the more you'll activate the chest. The closer your elbows the more triceps you hit. Don't "lock" out at the top.......there should still be a slight bend to the elbow to keep tension on the muscle. Take twice as long to go down as you do up. Good pace is 1 second up, 2 seconds down.

Fantastic! Just what I needed to know. Thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Fantastic! Just what I needed to know. Thanks!
    Pleasure.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Are reverse desk pushups the same as tricep dips?

I do tricep dips and have heard that the farther out you put your feet (from the desk, bench, chair, whatever) the more it works the triceps. It seems to make sense, but is it true?

I must be really dumb or something. I am not into working out, so I have my lil 5 pound weights and do my own thing. Not even a clue what its called. I need pictures to figure out what these are. I am so not getting it.

All the exercises I see make no sence to me. I need pictures. lol
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    SIDE LATERAL RAISE: This works the lateral deltoid and having "rounder" shoulders helps to create the illusion of a smaller waist too. Grab a set of dumbbells and stand straight up with the dumbbells at your sides. Your palms should be facing your body. You should be holding the dumbbells slightly off your body, this keeps the tension on the side delts and have a slight bend in the elbows. This is your starting position for the exercise. To execute, slowly raise the dumbbells up to around shoulder height. It's important that you do not let your wrists go above your elbows while raising the weight, this will take the work off the side delts and put it on the front delts. Pause at the top of the movement (at shoulder level) then slowly lower the weight back to the starting position. Do not let the dumbbells touch your body, then raise for the next rep.

Hey! I have been doing this! I made it up, and this explained everything I did. I was doing it right! Woo Hoo!!! Now I know a NAME for it!!!
  • Romeena
    Romeena Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the abs help. Seems all the classes I go to want to do standing abs. I find it harder to get results. Any thoughts?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I must be really dumb or something. I am not into working out, so I have my lil 5 pound weights and do my own thing. Not even a clue what its called. I need pictures to figure out what these are. I am so not getting it.

All the exercises I see make no sence to me. I need pictures. lol
    Not dumb, just learning. I know nothing about pedicures, but that doesn't make me dumb.:)

bodybuilding.com is a great source to see videos of exercises I mention. Just go to the SUPERSITE, then Exercises, then pick a body part.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thank you for the abs help. Seems all the classes I go to want to do standing abs. I find it harder to get results. Any thoughts?
    What results are you looking for?Weight loss, muscle strength, or both?