WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2018

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    While enjoying my second cup of after exercise coffee who decided to wander into my backyard??!!

A momma with 4!!little ones. And I thought they were nocturnal!!!

They're out in the day too.

Way back when, my ex-husband and I camped in a place in southern Manitoba. We were sitting in lawn chairs in the afternoon, and so were the people in the neighbouring spot, when along came several of them. One of them curled up underneath the chair of one of our neighbours and went to sleep!! She didn't dare move for fear of startling it!! :lol:

Machka in Oz
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Mary, prayers for you, your daughter and your DIL. That all sounds like serious stuff to me. A friend’s daughter had c-diff and needed a fecal transplant to get over it.

I cooked supper last night all by myself, then cleaned up the kitchen as well. I even swept the floor, carrying the dust pan in my scooter basket. I won’t say it’s the best job of sweeping I’ve ever done, but it made me happy to do something other than sit in my chair. I also did a 20 minute routine with my dumbbells yesterday. A couple of moves felt weird doing them from a seated position, but I persevered. 3 sets of 20 of bicep curls, hammer curls, overhead tricep, military press, snow angels, and flys.

• DebCountsAll
    DebCountsAll Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »

Question. What do you ladies do when a relative doesn't make good on their word? Ok, my step sister has a bunch of pages showing her recently passed father and my mother, like when they met etc. I sent them to her for his funeral this last March. She said she'd sent it all back. Nothing. I have emailed her our new address, etc, and she has replied stating its by her door waiting to get packed up. That's as far as its gotten. I even told her a white lie stating I was making photo albums for each of the boys, and would really like those pictures back, since Grandpa Bob was really the only grandpa they knew. No response! Aack! Any suggestions? I have sent her an email that just says, I would really appreciate those pictures back.

Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington

WHAT DO YOU MEAN. ! I CALL THEM OUT!!

Well, being that her father had passed/ my step father, I wanted to be respectful of that. People do have different time tables than mine, and to demand my pictures seemed a bit callous.
    Rebecca

well if I wanted them that bad, I would have been a bit callous then

Grief is crippling, yes, but no one is better off being coddled.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Mary))) Keeping your family in my prayers. I think the hotel next to the hospital is an excellent idea. You will be able to support your daughter & DIL at this time and also to get needed rest. I hope all goes well. :heart:
    :heart:

klanders: The skunk family photo is adorable. :star:

We have an appointment with our financial advisor later this morning, but DH had a rough night & won't be able to go. I'll call this morning and reschedule. I need to go into the eye doctors and get the new lens for my glasses. We're trying one that is less perfect a correction because the one I have has left my eye aching all to often. The eye doctor thinks it may be working too hard and this will allow it to relax. If it doesn't improve matters, I'll have the "perfect" lens put back into my glasses.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Will be working 50+ hours this week (that is not going to be a regular occurrence- just the other full time gal is on vacation and one of our other persons just left to go to nursing school. The new hire paperwork did not go through til an effective date of next week, so we are severely understaffed this week. )

Trying very hard to exercise but tough finding a place in my schedule. Luckily work does not have much in the way of snacking opportunities- (except on the 4th Tuesday of every month, lol tonight) so packing a nutritious meal is all I have to worry about on the eating front.

Managed a 40 minute lap swim yesterday but probably won’t get that chance again for a week or two :( - However I have noticed that my swimming chances tend to arise at the last minute so I’m keeping a swim bag fully prepped at work and home. (Due to the need to keep any and all water out of my ear, prepping to get into the water can be a well worth it time consuming chore)

I’m thinking good thoughts and wishing for happy outcomes for all y’all’s challenges! Got to run now, Kidd Kirby is demanding at least a little lap and groom time before I head to work.

Kidd Kirby makes it clear he’d like me to groom his tummy now:
    tdgaiqattj0y.png

( Wendy, you ok?!? )

Rye in Texas
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,504 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Lisa your calm tone and down to earth approach are both reassuring and inspiring. Commitment to the truth=Well done!
    Lanette walking, splitting and stacking firewood? Must have felt almost as good for him to do as it was for you to see.
    NYKaren "teeny tiny steps" Right on! Just thinking about how slow my progress has been, then re-framing it as slow and effective like slow medicine. Really think this time the changes in eating patterns (min 60g protein, mostly AF) are lifelong. Those skunkbabies are CUTE!
    Kristingj "from obese to overweight" Hooray!
    KJ what's a splash pad?
    Mary So sorry your daughter needs surgery but so glad the MDs are no longer just masking the issue. Rejoicing she wants you nearby. Safe travels. Your DIL getting worse is not good. :`( keeping both on the daily list.
    Michele glasses then umbrella? What's next?
    Lenora "as if I had taken a nap" quick thinking! Here in Oregon the fine for holding or using an electronic device (a few hands free or single swipe exceptions) while driving goes up Oct 1 from $115 to a max of $1000 if no crash. 2nd offense no crash max $2500. 3rd offence fine plus up to 6 months jail. First fine can be waived by attending distracted driving course but goes on your driving record either way. I sure hope using my car's GPS map qualifies as a hands-free exception.
    Rebecca"...enjoy complaining to you..." AMEN, sister!
    Katla "attitude has amazing power..." so true, so glad your husbands has taken a turn for the good.
    Kylia glad to see you popping in whenever ;)
    Karen in Va the self-addressed stamped envelope sounds like exactly the way to get your glasses back with least hassle and bad feelings all around. <3 ...revel in the deliciousness of your day!
    Kay brava for persevering with your dumbbells routine. I could use a transplant of your moxie.

Weighing and logging. Log every day, over/under/indifferent. Weigh every few days, wii keeps track of gains, I only update mfp with half the losses when they occur. Kinda like pip, waiting for 3 weeks to be sure loss stays off.

Line dancing to youtube in the evening to get steps in seems to be becoming a pattern, and not a bad one either! Completed last night HOURS before midnight ;)

Enjoy the day, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 23/25, meditate 20/25, walk one more step 21/25, knee exercises 20/25, walk Tumble 14/16 times, SWSY 0/8, hang up or purge art 0
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Did laundry for son and hidden in a pocket of his dark blue camouflage uniform was a pen.... So the washer didn't catch it, but the dryer surely did! A before and after pic! I attacked the dryer with cotton balls soaked in mail polish remover. Aack!
    I will check pockets now! What a mess.

Vertigo is gone for me, just have the lingering effects of having it most is June. Its so nice to not feel the swirls! Stopped taking the inhaler, have been exercising my lungs by singing opera in my sun room that has a nice echo.

Hugs to each of you and your families dealing with health issues. <3

Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »
    M in OZ: I think cycling is one of the best forms of exercise, along with walking, swimming and yoga. Does your weather make it a pleasure during this season? I ride a stationary bike at the gym regularly before my yoga class. It gets my whole body tuned up for yoga & the day. :bigsmile:

No, the winter weather here isn't particularly nice. It's not like the Canadian prairie winters I'm used to ... it's like the Pacific Northwest winters: chilly, rainy, damp, windy. Nights get down to about freezing. Daytime highs hit about 10°C. It often snows at higher elevations, and will occasionally snow as far down as sea level.

Snow here is predicted by elevation. Today, there's supposed to be snow down to 800 metres ... we're at about 50 metres above sea level. Our local mountain is about 1200 metres, so it will be topped with snow.

Today is 10°C with winds gusting to 60 km/h providing us with a "feels like" temperature of about 6°C, and they're predicting that it is going to start raining here (snowing at higher elevations) within the next couple hours.

It's also very hilly here, so trying to battle all that plus haul my butt up hills is really unpleasant.

Also, since my husband had his accident and has been in hospital, it has been pitch dark by the time I get home after visiting him. I don't mind riding at night when the weather isn't too bad, but the idea of going out in the dark, cold, wind, and often rain after a long day of work and being at the hospital ... just ... nope.

So, I brought my bicycle and trainer into the lounge room, set it all up in front of the TV, and that's where I've been riding for the past month or 6 weeks or so. :) Bright, climate controlled, and I can do as much or as little as I want to do. :)

A friend at work uses Zwift, so I got some information from him about how to set that up, and now I ride the Zwift courses. Yesterday I just wanted to do about half an hour, got on the course, and discovered that there were a series of sprints. First one I wasn't paying much attention, but I went flat out for the next two ... and today my legs are feeling it a bit!

Last Saturday, I did a longer course on Zwift and ended up riding an hour and 20 minutes. That's the longest ride I've done on a trainer in quite some time! Usually I only do 30-60 minutes. But the Zwift course was motivating enough for me to keep going.

I was running outside on weekends early in the day before going into the hospital, but I might have to give my feet a break from that for a little while.

I also walk quite a bit ... averaging about 30 km/week, but this week I'm down to 21 km. Again, trying to give my feet a break.

The one thing I do need to add back into my exercise routine is weights and core work. And a bit more stretching too! :grimace:

Machka in Oz

What part of the Canadian Prairies are you from Machka?

Tracey in Edmonton

All of it!

Most of my life in Alberta, in several different locations including Edmonton (where I got one of my degrees) but mostly near Grande Prairie and Red Deer.

Next longest period in Manitoba ... Winnipeg.

And a few years in Saskatchewan ... Regina.

Machka, the Canadian in Oz

Wow, so how did you end up in Australia? If you don't want to answer, don't feel obligated, I just like hearing people's stories :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :) travel to Seattle was uneventful so we are 90 minutes early for Jake's appointment
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I love it Becca!
    zbbscnfkpcv9.jpg

Dana in Arkansas
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    While enjoying my second cup of after exercise coffee who decided to wander into my backyard??!!

A momma with 4!!little ones. And I thought they were nocturnal!!!

They're out in the day too.

Way back when, my ex-husband and I camped in a place in southern Manitoba. We were sitting in lawn chairs in the afternoon, and so were the people in the neighbouring spot, when along came several of them. One of them curled up underneath the chair of one of our neighbours and went to sleep!! She didn't dare move for fear of startling it!! :lol:

Machka in Oz

I was out in our yard at night when one walked around a corner. I did not smell him/her because their tail was down. If they start to lift their tail. Run...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rita: Sincerest sympathy for your poor DH. I hope he is feeling better soon! :flowerforyou:

Dana: Your grandchildren sound like a pair of spoiled kids who need some boundaries. I'm sorry they're giving you such a difficult time. :ohwell:

Question for those who have RV's or camp frequently. Do you carry and use a barbecue grill? What do you recommend? DSIL doesn't carry one because she considers it extra work and not worth her time.

I went to get my glasses lens, and it couldn't be found. They've ordered another. If they blow this again I will demand my money back. :grumble:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    Options
    Mary - I am thinking of your family. <3<3<3<3<3 I'm like your daughter - I prefer to do medical stuff on my own. I find it much less tiring than worrying about the people with me. I went through nearly all my cancer diagnosis, treatment, chemo etc on my own. My best friend likes to have someone with her. Other people around make me nervous.

It looks as if our vendors have 95% given up on selling. :# So we are looking AGAIN. The third time. We have made a few appointments for Thursday morning. Only one looks possible, but is very expensive. Another is a doer upper, but is in just the right spot. The others are just for curiosity.
    Afterwards we will pop in to see the grandchildren and pick Max up from school. Don’t mind leaving later in the evening while it's so light.
    I hope my phone micro card is ready tomorrow. Plus I have to pick up a prescription and buy bread from the artisan bakery.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday all! I hopped on mfp this morning to log my breakfast, read the posts and had to get off again. I am trying to cut back on screen time again. I noticed I sometimes fall into this funk and dribble away time online. Not good! So back to setting up the timer next to me.
    Mary- Not sure how I missed the goings on in your family! Sending warm thoughts, healing vibes to your daughter and daughter in law! I totally understand where your daughter is coming from. With others around me, I tend to feel obligated to keep conversation going or stay perky and upbeat. But it is wonderful that she mentioned the hotel close by. I think, she wants you close, just in case! <3
    Barbara- The splash pad is a water play area for the kids while they are down town. It is in a big green space and families tend to picnic on the grass while their kids run through the splash pad. I will post pics so you can see it.
    Rita- Wahoo on the great finds at Walmart! Hope your DH is feeling well enough to shake the dust of that town off your feet. You have been ready to go for a couple of weeks, it seems!
    Katla- You can get some really nice table top or portable grills. They store easily, and IMO it is always nice to have that option to grill while you are camping!
    Dana- Just wondering if your DGCs are TOO busy?! Are they tired and maybe need a day to just hang out? Missing mom? Hmmm... maybe you could challenge them to "create" a day of fun. Give them a $$ amount that can be spent on admissions/food/purchases and let them plan a day. It has to be okayed by you. If you have a chamber of commerce site or a travel site for your area; that is good place to start. Point out "free" things like trails, parks, window shopping, maybe a DIY class at a local home improvement/hardware store? (those cost a bit, but usually not more than $5-10; and you get to take your project home!) If you need some time away, ask DD if you can get a sitter for them so you and your DH can go have some alone time. Good luck!
    NYKaren- Oh my! I would have dropped my coffee if I had seen that little family in my back yard! LOL! I have never seen skunks around here. I know they ARE around here, because I have smelled them. But a whole family??!! Yikes!
    Heather- Yea! A little visit to the grandkids! I am strong vibes that you find and GET something closer to them. How wonderful that would be... <3
    Barbie- So...what did you do with your extra 90 minutes in Seattle?! Anything fun?

Well, ding-ding...there goes my timer! I actually need to get up and make a tie dye shirt for myself. I let the boys make their own and they turned out really cool looking. I forgot to make mine and I better get on the ball. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    A question about the splash pad reminded me that someone asked what plasma cars are, and I never answered. A plasma car is a child’s riding toy that you propel with your feet or your body. The wheels turn in all directions.

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    My cat, Egg, smells weird. Like, funky. And left the smell behind her when she went. She's been spayed, so she can't be in heat. I know that's a weird way to start a post, but seriously, it's weirding me out.

Back again: OK, had to go change out of my sweatpants, whatever the smell is, she left it on me while I was petting her. Urk. Not on my fingers, but on my pants.

Lisa