"You're too skinny!" Do others ever make you question your maintenance weight?

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, I heard that a lot about a year ago when I was around 15% body fat and my goal was <10%. I figure that the average American is overweight or obese (based on statistics, this describes 2/3 of Americans) and I can see that when I look around. The new "normal" is overweight and healthy is considered to be underweight or thin. It's a common perception that I should be overweight. I disagree. So I will take care of me and let others go along on their fat merry way. My typical response is that I actually need to lose more and then go into a description about the average American's size regarding their perception. In the end, they don't have much to argue with (usually these are also "average American size" people).
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    My neighbor and I weigh very close to the same - 116-118#. We are the same height. She constantly tells me I am too skinny. Maybe because I am 10ish years older than she and have the squiggly arm thing? People are so funny.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,847 Member
    Options
    Yes, I heard that a lot about a year ago when I was around 15% body fat and my goal was <10%. I figure that the average American is overweight or obese (based on statistics, this describes 2/3 of Americans) and I can see that when I look around. The new "normal" is overweight and healthy is considered to be underweight or thin. It's a common perception that I should be overweight. I disagree. So I will take care of me and let others go along on their fat merry way. My typical response is that I actually need to lose more and then go into a description about the average American's size regarding their perception. In the end, they don't have much to argue with (usually these are also "average American size" people).

Yeah - I even see that here at MFP. LOL. MK2fit, you are probably the same weight as your neighbor but I bet you are in much better shape! Muscle takes more space than fat, right? ;)
  • cinnabondelights
    cinnabondelights Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course. I get this a lot from my family.

When I was overweight at 151lbs (I'm 5'1''), my parents would say to "watch my weight" and whatnot. But when I got down to 100lbs, they say I'm just "skin and bones," even though I look perfectly healthy and don't look underweight at all. \:

My mom and sister-in-laws aren't that bad, they also comment on how small I am now and how they wish they were my size.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    In the past month a couple of people have said (unasked) that they think I should stop losing weight. I smile and say thank you. I know what they mean to do is clumsily compliment how well I’m looking NOW.

I don’t even think about it.

(and strength training FTW! I actually stopped actively dieting and losing weight a couple of months beforehand. Lol, they were really more noticing me getting fitter.)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to start saying "We have just gotten so used to seeing people overweight that we think of it as normal. My BMI is around 24. I am actually toward the upper end of the healthy range for my height."
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I had people say that - when I was roughly 120lbs at 5'2 (and even more so at my lowest weight which was still a BMI of 19)
    Mind you, I think it might be because I'm pear shaped so my shoulders and chest DO get fairly skinny, plus everyone around me was used to me in the BMI 30-35 range.. curious to see if it happens again, I'm dropping from 160s back to 120s, halfway there at the moment
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My own mother says it looks like I have cancer, which in my opinion was way too far. I personally don't think I look 'too skinny' at all, sure I could probably gain some weight and still be healthy/look healthy, but when it starts getting to the point of feeling insecure is where I draw the line.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great sharing, I needed this!
  • luvmygrls77
    luvmygrls77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah it’s super annoying when people ask if you’re sick or say you’re too skinny. I get more people that say I look really good but those mean comments stick out in your brain more than the nice ones. I’m just shy of 5’4” and I loved being around 115lbs. Now that I’m older and had a kid, I feel like being too thin makes your face look older and other areas not look as good (boobs) but I love feeling healthy and energetic.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Got that talk this morning. I am not even at my maintenance weight yet - .6lbs over highest weight for my age, height, gender. I am in the cutting phase of my resistance training, so I am sure I will hear more in the future.
  • chantelboudreau
    chantelboudreau Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem. I was underweight but in my family that's very normal. I had lots of energy and felt healthy. People would constantly tell me I need to eat more when I was full and one even told the school nurse she worried. It was really annoying. Once I hit my 30's I put on some weight but it was very upsetting in high school and middle school. I did not have an eating disorder. Sometimes people just don't know better. If you feel great and have lots of energy than I don't see the problem. Plus I checked your BMI and it's not even under weight. Personally, I would say if the doctor says your healthy that's what matters.