Less Alcohol- June 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    "I'm so glad I don't have to drink." I don't think of this as "Day 2 and counting." I just feel good not to feel hungover, stressed, conflicted, nauseated, and deprived (of that poison that makes me so unhappy).

I feel the same way. I remember when I really realized drinking was actually becoming a problem for me. It was when I got up one morning & thought, "I don't want to drink today." But realized that I likely would drink today. I'd "try" to make a deal with myself & then repeat the same pattern I'd been repeating for too long, make the deal in the a.m. & as my day progressed, I'd start making a different deal & promise myself I'd only have one...well...maybe two! Three max!! I remember thinking of my alcoholic ex-hubby!! It did begin to feel like a prison.

This is a process and the real test will be when a big stressor comes along. I've had one situation recently that would have definitely required a bottle of wine to calm me down, but have decided to deal with it differently. So far so good :) One day at a time. I can do pretty much anything for one 24-hour period! So can y'all.

L <3 VE BEING SOBER!!

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options
    @JenT304 @donimfp For me, I feel like alcohol is my prison and I keep going back to prison. I like how you both paraphrased that.
    Had a few drinks last night, didn't even enjoy them but was out with friends. Today, I feel awful. Back to prison. I will buy that book today and read it. I need some hope.
    For the next ten days, I should be fine. I'm going on vacation with extended family and they dont drink, so I wont be tempted.

• RubyRed427
    Options

I've been doing some work on mindfulness through a meditation CD a former therapist gave me. I've been consistently meditating for a couple of weeks now & realize that time will tell how it benefits me. I think the key is consistency. Does anyone have any personal experience to relate showing the benefits of mindfulness training?

I have been meditating for 5 months now nearly every day. I do know that this article speaks about escaping suffering when you do mindfulness meditation. I can relate to that. I know I feel quite different and much calmer after I've meditated.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-courage-be-present/201001/how-practice-mindfulness-meditation
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @trishfit2014 We love you, too. Safe travels!
  • RubyRed427
    edited June 2018
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10678084/less-alcohol-july-2018-one-day-at-a-time#latest

The July thread has been posted!! See you in July!
    @NovusDies Thanks again for your efforts to organize and synthesize our collective, helpful tip list. I think I successfully copied it!

For our newer friends, wait until you see the list of tips and hints we have for you on the July thread. We aren't experts, but from our sincere desire to have less alcohol in our lives, we have a beautiful resource list for YOU <3
  • karenesg
    karenesg Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @donimfp Thank you for sharing your thoughts on that book. I once posted a quote on here about "habits are the only prison where the locks are on the inside. When we are ready we simply stand up and open the door and walk out to freedom." I love this image.

I like this. Yeah, good image. Thank you!
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Ke22yB wrote: »
    I am glad to have found this site I feel it helps me appreciate the trials we all go thru in life I find sometimes I approach my food the way I used to approach my drinking. If I get angry I want to eat or a bit depressed how about a cookie. When you say the prisons are all of our own creation that's seem to really resonate with me. I am sober over ten years and have lost over 170 pounds and my psyche still can reach out and bite me in the butt some times. I appreciate the thought of mindfulness as when I am roaming around the kitchen for no reason but to try to find something to cheer me up I have to avoid mindless and embrace mindfulness to get me to walk out the door without eating

That thinking that I have had about alcohol certainly I can see it with food, too. I want to be free of the food prison, too.

• RubyRed427
    edited June 2018
    Options
    My June progress report: C+
    Good effort, sometimes lacks focus, at times impulsive, needs to stay the course and be mindful
    19 drink free days in June so far
    10 days with 1-3 drinks
    Great improvement compared to last June where I drank 30 days.
    See you on the July thread!

How did you do this June? ;)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    My June progress report: C+
    Good effort, sometimes lacks focus, at times impulsive, needs to stay the course and be mindful
    19 drink free days in June so far
    10 days with 1-3 drinks
    Great improvement compared to last June where I drank 30 days.
    See you on the July thread!

How did you do this June? ;)

@JulieAL1969 Well done!! That's a pretty well-balanced month.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Dopamine is released in excess by the consumption of alcohol.

And chocolate, LOL!

• erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    My June was pretty standard. I mostly stuck to one night of drinking and one cheat meal on a weekend. I occasionally had a weekday event where I had a few light beers but I always hit the gym first to negate some of the calories.
    I got a nice 10 hours sleep last night. 100% sober and no alarm to wake me in the morning.
    Today is my nephew/godsons graduation party. I’m gonna let loose and celebrate with family. Just spent an hour at the gym and there will be lots of swimming. So a lot of those empty calories are burned