JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Personally, and this is very much a personal thing, I don't believe in extra really intense exercise to allow overeating. It can be hard on the body if you've already exercised and can also start people down the dangerous path of exercise anorexia. Why not try increasing your non-workout expenditure...like take a nice gentle walk, and then maybe combine that with eating most of but not all your meal? Then don't sweat it if you end the day a bit over and start tomorrow as a new day.

I know someone who lost a great deal of weight having cheat meals, but for me, I find that it's easier to eat a little less "clean" on a daily basis and incorporate little treats as I go along and stay mostly within my calorie goals apart from special occasions. It's all about what works for each person.

One other thing you might want to think about, I'm trying to get away from the notion of food as a reward for being "good". There's no good or bad, there's just food. Food that will be there tomorrow if I don't eat it today. Food that exists to nourish my body and I'm blessed to live in a part of the world where there's plenty to eat. I think if you want to have a special meal, that's great, but I'd think of it as a special meal, rather than something that you earned by giving up "good food" for a couple of weeks. Like you said, it's all about balance.

I'm kind of rambling, but the tl;dr version is, don't kill yourself with exercise, enjoy your meal and your new healthy lifestyle and way to go on your two weeks of consistency! Breaking up with a junk food lifestyle can be tough, but the rewards are great!!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    jeschepp wrote: »
    Seeking some advice. Today is my first cheat day in 2 weeks. I have been eating super clean, which I am very proud of, especially given years of super unhealthy eating. I picked out my reward-meal at one of my favorite restaurants. I decided to log the meal ahead of time to try and meal plan a bit around it. Holy cow-crappy food is LOADED with calories! Like really loaded! This is a real eye opener. I am definitely over my calories, even with my exercise completed for the day. I am struggling between doing an extra 30 minutes intense cardio to try and be close to my calorie limit for today, or do I just take today as a cheat day and accept that I'll go over??? Trying to find a balance with this all! Any feedback is greatly welcomed :)

I personally have done both, worked out more so I’m closer to at least maintenance and I’ve also had days where I’ve said screw it. It really depends on my energy levels and how the rest of the week had been. I truly believe there is no right or wrong answer it’s all how I feel. I also don’t call th cheat days it’s just days where I’m over.
  • sarah74_vt
    sarah74_vt Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    JFY (Friday, 6/29/18)
    1) Log all my food :)
    2) Stay "in the green" with my calories :)
    3) Stay "in the green" with my sodium intake :/
    4) Drink all my water before having a Diet Coke :)
    5) Complete 2 orders from my shop :)
    6) Laundry :)

JFT (Saturday, 6/30/18)
    1) Log all my food
    2) Stay "in the green" with my calories
    3) Stay "in the green" with my sodium intake
    4) Drink all my water before having a Diet Coke
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Recap and goals for today:

Saturday goals
    - morning workout only if all quiet with the kids ✅
    - Get everyone packed and to school summer fair ✅
    - April challenge :| should have taken a big bottle with me to the fair.
    - May challenge ✅
    - June challenge - repeat today’s tiredness win! :s Erm, nope!
    - Head to my parents after fair and take opportunity for some rest. ✅
    - Early night ✅

Goals for Sunday:
    - new month! Reset and renew
    - Morning workout
    - April challenge
    - May challenge
    - June challenge
    - Walk/jog with kids for homework at cafe
    - Finish laundry
    - Pack L for School trip tomorrow
    - Buy cress seeds for school
    - Pet shop
    - Health food shop
    - Message V with dates
    - Early night
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    Just For Sunday:

1. Log everything I eat and stay under goal.
    2. No fast food!
    3. Physical therapy morning and evening.
    4. Drink 10 glasses of water.
    5. Yoga routine and short walk.
    6. Grocery shopping
    7. Kitchen closed and brush teeth by 9 pm.
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    @Faebert, as someone who has been mostly at home with no structure for half a year, I can tell you that prelogging definitely has made a difference for me. It doesn't ALWAYS work, but it works most of the time. I have a tendency to let too much time pass between meals and then I'm suddenly starving and it's at that point that having a plan is really great. I just open my diary and look at what I've logged and I don't have to make any decisions. Plus deviating means I have to go to all the effort to change what I've logged and I usually don't want to bother! ;)
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    N

Anyway, as ever some good lessons learned (or at least a good reminder). And now we are in July I thought I would sum up the things I have noticed with the June challenge about emotional eating for me and potential ways I can avoid it. Posting it for accountability and in case this exercise helps anyone else....

June challenge - emotional eating triggers:
    - tiredness. This can’t always be avoided so on days where I know I will struggle it is super important to have regular meals and snacks planned and available.

- Loneliness/ empty house/ everyone else asleep: if lonely and bored with no one else to see, it is easy to slip in to bingey behaviour. So I need to plan both something non-food-related to occupy me on nights like these (pampering, reading etc) and also try pre-planning one logged treat to enjoy mindfully once the day is done and I can relax.

- Weekend relief “screw it” mentality: this is a big one for me, especially Friday or Saturday nights where I am stuck at home (see above). The only fix I think for this one is to just keep trying to avoid it! Remembering that I ALWAYS regret it, and that one episode usually ruins the rest of the weekend as it tends to set off more cravings that are harder to fight or ignore without the routine and distraction (and extra activity!) of work.

And just some non-emotional ‘triggers’ that cause me to feel hungry when I’m not:
    - watching cooking programmes (esp baking)
    - not drinking enough water. For me thirst makes me want to eat sweet things, especially fruit.
    - Lack of structure/routine: if home without plans it’s too easy to just graze all the time. Pre-logging might be helpful here??

So all told the June challenge has been really useful for me. I will keep this one up along with April and May - looking forward to a new one for July!

LOVE THIS!! Thank you for posting!! This is SO me .... the june challenge makes me stop and evaluate what it is that makes me want to eat. The thirst I believe for me is the biggest thing --- that is when I crave ice cream, because I am thirsty! Not hungry!
    I also work out of my home .... so food is always readily available!! And when I do not eat a "planned" lunch, I tend to graze all day ... .like I did today
  • mytime6630
    edited July 2018
    Options
    This is SO worth waving!! Thank you again!

- tiredness. This can’t always be avoided so on days where I know I will struggle it is super important to have regular meals and snacks planned and available.

- Loneliness/ empty house/ everyone else asleep: if lonely and bored with no one else to see, it is easy to slip in to bingey behaviour. So I need to plan both something non-food-related to occupy me on nights like these (pampering, reading etc) and also try pre-planning one logged treat to enjoy mindfully once the day is done and I can relax.

- Weekend relief “screw it” mentality: this is a big one for me, especially Friday or Saturday nights where I am stuck at home (see above). The only fix I think for this one is to just keep trying to avoid it! Remembering that I ALWAYS regret it, and that one episode usually ruins the rest of the weekend as it tends to set off more cravings that are harder to fight or ignore without the routine and distraction (and extra activity!) of work.

And just some non-emotional ‘triggers’ that cause me to feel hungry when I’m no:
    - not drinking enough water. For me thirst makes me want to eat sweet things, especially fruit.
    - Lack of structure/routine: if home without plans it’s too easy to just graze all the time. Pre-logging might be helpful here??

So all told the June challenge has been really useful for me. I will keep this one up along with April and May - looking forward to a new one for July![/quote]
    [/b]
  • mytime6630
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Tomorrow is July 1st - and time for a new challenge!! Are you guys in with me again!!!

For myself, I am working on trying to continue each month's challenge each day . ... because these are all things that will improve our lives everyday .... not just while trying to lose weight. I know all of these things are so important in obtaining, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

As a reminder, here were the challenges so far:
    April challenge -- drink at least 8 cups of water each day
    May challenge --- go outside for a very brief time for a short walk --- minimum of 15 minute
    s.
    This could just be a walk around the block ..... just being outside, enjoying the fresh air will change our mindset. These short walks help me mentally as well to sort out the day and clear my mind of any negative thinking, etc.
    June challenge: If you’re feeling the slightest bit emotional and want to eat—or it’s even time to eat—force yourself to either do something else or to eat something healthy and wholesome. And report it on here. Not only will it help us, but it also will give others ideas to stop that urge.

And here is the July Challenge: The nite before you go to bed, PLAN your next days meal.
    If you don't have time to plan the entire day ... just the main meal so you know what you are wanting to eat.

Even if it is just ONE meal. For me, I know this will help so much. I struggle with planning ahead, so what I am hoping to do, is to take the time before I go to bed to figure out what I am having for dinner entree. Breakfast and lunch are usually easy for me, since I tend to eat the same things. But dinner is always hard ... first because I work out of my home, and when I don't plan, that leads to stuff like ordering a pizza, or popping in a frozen pizza, or something else. Its get to be dinnertime, and I have no idea of what to cook.

I know many of you are already doing this, but I do know this is key to helping us maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I plan on trying to do all 4 challenges each day. This is how I plan to record them:

Challenges:
    July 1: Water; Walk; mindful eating; planning

(And I will put a smiley face after each one I can complete).

Is this too much? Would you guys like to join me? Even if you can just join me in the planning ahead part?

• mytime6630
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Today was again another emotional day for me. I love what @Faebert wrote - and realized I had most of these things which led to the ice cream.

I was thirsty .... I don't even know if I drank 2 cups of water today.

I was tired ... I lay awake last nite until 4:30 am.

I was emotionally stressed, as we are trying to decide how to set up a trust fund in our will for our daughter. Having a small family, we do not have a backup to use if something happens to our son. So hubby and I are arguing about that ... he just wants a simple will, and I know my daughter will blow through anything in less than a year, and be homeless. So there is no easy answer.

I did not eat lunch .... so grazing all day long. No structured meals.

SO its no wonder I gave into awful eating.

So tomorrow is July 1st. A new month .... and a start of the next 6 months. I can accomplish a lot in those 6 months! No more time to waste!

SO JFT, SUnday, July 1st
    1. LOG all food
    2. do daughters laundry
    3. pack for our trip to see our son over July 4th
    4. Concentrate on water
    5. April challenge - water
    6. July challenge - plan dinner

Goals for July:
    Get weight below 190 (currently at 193 - down from 197!)
    consistently go to the gym 5x a week - but concentrate more on weights
    consistenly go outside for a short walk 5x a week
    preplan the nite before what I will make for dinner the next nite
    consistently get to water drinking = 8c a day

Goals in 6 months (Dec)
    Weight at goal weight of 175 (that is 2.5 pounds a months. I CAN do that).
    have water drinking be a habit... like going to the gym is for me now
    give up diet soda .... learn to drink ice tea and water instead

Challenges:
  • mytime6630
    Options
    I'

I finally got past the roadblock in my mind and got a lot done on Casey's quilt, @Bex953172 I just couldn't get past the comments my mom had made about it, and today I looked at it again, added a few more things, and I really am happy with how it's shaping up! I think it's really cute and I sure hope you do! I will have the whole top done tomorrow morning, and then in the afternoon I should be able to get all 3 layers pinned together! I'm so excited! My husband had to come downstairs to get me because I got so caught up in what I was doing that I forgot about time! He told me to save something for tomorrow. LOL! I didn't realize I'd been down there since about 2:30 p.m.! I can't wait until you see it. I think it's really going to be cute! :heart: The fun part is that I was thinking about you all day while I worked on it! :mrgreen:

Hope everyone had a great day!

:):):) SO happy to read this Tracy!!! And so happy that you are back to sewing on the quilt!! I know it is going to be beautiful, and with so much love! Bex is going to love it, and when she gets it ... she HAS to post a picture for us all to see it!! So proud of you for not letting anyone stop you!
  • jeschepp
    jeschepp Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Really did some soul searching today around my "cheat day." Huge thanks to @nickssweetheart and @snowflake1968 for the amazing words of wisdom. Realized I really need some perspective. Ended up looking at what parts of the meal I really enjoyed, and was able to cut out the side of fries. I was then able to stay within my calorie range by adding only 15 minutes light biking. I really took your words to heart, and realized I still have a lot left to learn.

Here's my check-in:
    House chores ✅
    Budget-nope
    Set up bullet journal for next 2 weeks ✅-got most of it set up, will finish tomorrow
    Weigh-in-nope, was at my sister's so I'll do this tomorrow
    30 minutes exercise ✅
    Meet 1200 net calories, counting exercise ✅-proud of this one today!
    Track food and exercise ✅
    Water challenge-80 oz. ✅
    Post here for accountability ✅

For tomorrow:
    Meal plan and grocery shop
    Budget
    Finish bullet journal setup for July
    Weigh-in and POST
    30 minutes exercise
    Meet 1200 net calories, counting exercise
    Track food and exercise
    Water challenge-80 oz. (today is my 30 day mark, keeping this for 60)
    July challenge:The nite before you go to bed, PLAN your next days meal.
    Post here for accountability
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    Tomorrow is July 1st - and time for a new challenge!! Are you guys in with me again!!!

For myself, I am working on trying to continue each month's challenge each day . ... because these are all things that will improve our lives everyday .... not just while trying to lose weight. I know all of these things are so important in obtaining, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

As a reminder, here were the challenges so far:
    April challenge -- drink at least 8 cups of water each day
    May challenge --- go outside for a very brief time for a short walk --- minimum of 15 minute
    s.
    This could just be a walk around the block ..... just being outside, enjoying the fresh air will change our mindset. These short walks help me mentally as well to sort out the day and clear my mind of any negative thinking, etc.
    June challenge: If you’re feeling the slightest bit emotional and want to eat—or it’s even time to eat—force yourself to either do something else or to eat something healthy and wholesome. And report it on here. Not only will it help us, but it also will give others ideas to stop that urge.

And here is the July Challenge: The nite before you go to bed, PLAN your next days meal.
    If you don't have time to plan the entire day ... just the main meal so you know what you are wanting to eat.

Even if it is just ONE meal. For me, I know this will help so much. I struggle with planning ahead, so what I am hoping to do, is to take the time before I go to bed to figure out what I am having for dinner entree. Breakfast and lunch are usually easy for me, since I tend to eat the same things. But dinner is always hard ... first because I work out of my home, and when I don't plan, that leads to stuff like ordering a pizza, or popping in a frozen pizza, or something else. Its get to be dinnertime, and I have no idea of what to cook.

I know many of you are already doing this, but I do know this is key to helping us maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I plan on trying to do all 4 challenges each day. This is how I plan to record them:

Challenges:

(And I will put a smiley face after each one I can complete).

Is this too much? Would you guys like to join me? Even if you can just join me in the planning ahead part?

Thanks Joan - as you can tell I’ve found the challenges super helpful and def up for joining this one. In for July! X
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 pages behind! This place is rockin'! :smile: I'll have to try to catch up later. I want to post while I'm thinking of it! Hope everyone is doing well

I didn't get on here to write goals today, but I did manage the goals I had in my head.
    1. Stay green :)
    2. Drink 64 oz water :)
    3. No junk food :)
    4. Work on Bex's quilt :):):):star:

I finally got past the roadblock in my mind and got a lot done on Casey's quilt, @Bex953172 I just couldn't get past the comments my mom had made about it, and today I looked at it again, added a few more things, and I really am happy with how it's shaping up! I think it's really cute and I sure hope you do! I will have the whole top done tomorrow morning, and then in the afternoon I should be able to get all 3 layers pinned together! I'm so excited! My husband had to come downstairs to get me because I got so caught up in what I was doing that I forgot about time! He told me to save something for tomorrow. LOL! I didn't realize I'd been down there since about 2:30 p.m.! I can't wait until you see it. I think it's really going to be cute! :heart: The fun part is that I was thinking about you all day while I worked on it! :mrgreen:

Hope everyone had a great day!

Yesssss!!
    That’s awesome!
    Sometimes the things are parents say get to us the most!
    But I promise I will love it!
    I’m so so so so excited!!
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :)
    - Stick to food plan :/ Plan wasn't really specific enough, had just logged calories per meal rather than actual food. Lunch was ok but ended up overeating at dinner.
    - 3+ bottles water :)
    - Go for walk, at least 1h :smile:
    - French podcast, article, Duolingo, book

My over-eating at dinner was interesting. I've realised that whilst I've formed some pretty good habits in my 'normal' life, when I'm in other situations where I've over-eaten frequently in the past it's easy to default to pattern behaviour. So this weekend, I'm at my mum's, and so it's tempting to fall into eating the way I always have done there. Such as yesterday, I put a ton of butter on my potatoes 'because that's what I do here'. I think it's useful to have noticed this - hopefully now I've identified what's happening, I can break habits and create some new patterns!

June challenge:

June 10: "I'm on holiday" = chocolate :s
    June 11: Stress = gin, no food :neutral:
    June 12: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 13: 'celebratory' mood + pub + burger/ ice cream :s
    June 14: No emotional eating :smiley:
    June 15: Greed rather than emotions.. :neutral:
    June 16: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 17: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 18: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 19: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 20: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 21: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 22: Greed rather than emotions... :neutral:
    June 23: "F&ck it mood" - pub food/drink :/
    June 24: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 25: Grumpy, overworked - two gins :/
    June 26: Black mood but reined myself in, had moderate indulgence and then stopped :smile:
    June 27: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 28: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 29: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 30: No emotional eating - habitual/ greedy eating :neutral:

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - 4 bottles water
    - Go for run
    - French podcast, article, Duolingo, book
    - Do French revision
    - Read paper
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Not posted much last couple of days!
    Yesterday there was a food market where I live in the town centre.
    So lots of businesses come and set up stalls with their product and there’s all sorts, woodfired pizzas, German sausage, Thai food, Jamaican jerk chicken (soooooo tasty!) cakes and stuff, fudge, toffee vodka (also delicious!), fresh coffee, gin, churros? (Are churros American?)

Anyway so I didn’t log, i didn’t log anything, had a “day off”. It only comes round once a year.
    However because we had all the girls with us and it was busy, we had to put Marley in the pram because she can’t walk that much, not when it’s that busy. So I had Casey on me the whole way!
    It burns more calories than pushing a pram so I think in general I did okay calorie wise. Probably a bit over if I’m realistic but nothing OTT.

Anyway I’m going to log today, my day off was just for ONE day so I have to get back on it today!

@mytime6630 I think the challenge is good but not something I’m going to take part in! It’s not something i will like doing.
    I always have a mental idea of what I’m going to eat anyway and I generally eat the same set of low calorie meals!

Anyway, one thing I could do with doing which won’t apply much to anyone else is my pelvic floor exercises. 3 babies and I’m lucky I don’t pee myself! But I do need to some!

So I’ll do
    Water, walk, mindful eating, PF :)
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    This is SO worth waving!! Thank you again!

And just some non-emotional ‘triggers’ that cause me to feel hungry when I’m no:

So all told the June challenge has been really useful for me. I will keep this one up along with April and May - looking forward to a new one for July!
    [/b]
    [/quote]

I'm up for it! I try to do this most of the time anyway, but I don't always manage to (for example when I'm eating out) so think it will be helpful for doing it 100% of the time!