What's with the diet shaming?

Options

Replies

• rgg71
    rgg71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    rgg71 wrote: »
    Interesting reading the posts above, I generally find most people demonise fat over carbs, and the shops are full of 'low fat' options.

Where do you live? Here in the US, low carbohydrate has been the preferred diet method since the Atkins craze of the late 1990s. In fact, ketogenic diets (which are prioritize fat) are probably the trendiest thing in the fitness community right now.

Right. I think low fat went out of style in the '80s here in the US. Keto and IF is the big fad now.

Hi, I live in the UK and have been LCHF (<30g carbs) for around 10 months (and 40 lbs)
    I suppose my point would be that on this thread, subject of 'whats with the diet shaming' there are a plenty of folk diet shaming!
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I might be late to this conversation but.... I recently have had some Mfp folks do some “diet shaming” and the New York in me wanted to check the heck outta them and then I thought that most people say and do things that they feel they have control over-the particular person that spoke out of turn about my choice to go heavy vegetable eating for a few days to just help my tummy and intestinal issues felt the need to say that I am following a “quack”. I mean really? Could this just be a keyboard bully that feels that she has control over other’s choices? I don’t know-I think I might block her later on today.
    I am happy to be around positive happy people that are doing them in this struggle-I am proud of you.

Girl, you are not the only one! I almost stopped posting here after I was made to feel like garbage on the first thread I posted asking for help. I was either gonna leave, or snap on someone and get myself banned so I chose to take the high road and just let the whole thread die. Thankfully, I have found a lot of really nice people on here that prove that those types of people are not the majority. Feel free to add me! We can motivate each other with out being a holes.

Are you talking about this thread?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10676598/advice/p1

I don't see where anyone suggested you are "some lying slob whose sitting on the couch binge eating and lying about what their intake is" (your words from your next post).

Agreed.

A lot of people seem to read into things that aren't there. They take things the wrong way.

Communication though message boards is much different than real life. In real life you can see someones facial expressions and see that they are being cheerful, snarky, sad and such. It's much different on a message board and some people seem to take things the wrong way and read into things that aren't there. They may be assuming that a member is being condescending when in reality they're not. Some people are putting emotions places that they don't belong and getting hurt over things that where never intended on being hurtful.

Sometimes it's hard to decipher so I think it's best to take things with a grain of salt.
    It's just a message board after all. How can some anonymous stranger online hurt my feelings when they don't know me? They can't. I take the information that is useful and disregard the rest. No feelings involved.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    This thread started with people in real life and turned into slamming other MFP members. Very disappointing.

It went from complaining about woo peddling at the workplace to defending woo peddling on MFP. Really sad.

Some of the problem is when the MFP faithful categorize LCHF, Keto and IF as 'fad diets'.

Maybe people need to expand their views on a healthy diet approach. Too much of a 'one size fits all' approach going on in these forums.

The actual problem is that each of those are 'fad diets' when advertised as "eat this way and you'll lose weight no matter how much you eat"

Yes, some people have chosen them as a preferred WOE, but most have found them from diet disciples who present them as the magical cure for everything that ails you from obesity to cancer. Even if the diet has no benefit for that whatsoever.

If it works for you great, but it's not going to help you in your weight loss journey if you persist in overeating. Ditto Vegan, etc.

9 out of 10 new posters first post is "I'm eating xxx program and I hate it, how do I lose weight without this program"

Answer-Dump the program, eat less move more, find a WOE that works for you.

I'm calling *kitten* on the bolded statement.

Either your definition of 'fad diet' is different to others or you are claiming LCHF / KETO are unhealthy ways of eating. I know you've seen the meta analysis which proves they are equal to Calorie Counting / Moderation.

I read his use of 'fad diet' to be mirroring your use of it in your post. There are most certainly people who claim that with keto they can eat more than they burn and still lose weight.

ETA: @stanmann571, if I'm wrong, correct me.

Exactly, There's nothing wrong with keto, but it's not a magical cure either. There's nothing wrong with IF, and if I had access to a full kitchen I might experiment with one of the more exotic IF programmings to see if it helped with my satiety and mental clarity. By exotic I mean the 24/26/28/36 hour variants. Skipping breakfast isn't really all that much of a alternative WOE. But I wouldn't be doing it for its weight loss benefits but rather for improved clarity and satiety.

We did a form of it when I was in Thailand. I was doing a 4 week meditation retreat, and we ate on the same schedule as the monks. Nothing after noon. So breakfast, lunch, and snacking between. I lost 15 lbs in that time. I don't attribute the loss to IF though. It's because I was likely only getting about 800 calories per day. It took about a week to get used to going to bed with my stomach growling. I will occasionally follow that eating pattern for a day here as well as follow the other precepts that were were following while there.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I might be late to this conversation but.... I recently have had some Mfp folks do some “diet shaming” and the New York in me wanted to check the heck outta them and then I thought that most people say and do things that they feel they have control over-the particular person that spoke out of turn about my choice to go heavy vegetable eating for a few days to just help my tummy and intestinal issues felt the need to say that I am following a “quack”. I mean really? Could this just be a keyboard bully that feels that she has control over other’s choices? I don’t know-I think I might block her later on today.
    I am happy to be around positive happy people that are doing them in this struggle-I am proud of you.

Girl, you are not the only one! I almost stopped posting here after I was made to feel like garbage on the first thread I posted asking for help. I was either gonna leave, or snap on someone and get myself banned so I chose to take the high road and just let the whole thread die. Thankfully, I have found a lot of really nice people on here that prove that those types of people are not the majority. Feel free to add me! We can motivate each other with out being a holes.

I don't see where anyone suggested you are "some lying slob whose sitting on the couch binge eating and lying about what their intake is" (your words from your next post).

Agreed.

A lot of people seem to read into things that aren't there. They take things the wrong way.

Communication though message boards is much different than real life. In real life you can see someones facial expressions and see that they are being cheerful, snarky, sad and such. It's much different on a message board and some people seem to take things the wrong way and read into things that aren't there. They may be assuming that a member is being condescending when in reality they're not. Some people are putting emotions places that they don't belong and getting hurt over things that where never intended on being hurtful.

Sometimes it's hard to decipher so I think it's best to take things with a grain of salt.
    It's just a message board after all. How can some anonymous stranger online hurt my feelings when they don't know me? They can't. I take the information that is useful and disregard the rest. No feelings involved.

Absolutely. I will add that how we are feeling about the world around us is frequently colored by past experiences and how we feel about ourselves.

It's like having a sunburn. When you don't have one, you barely even feel your clothing, but when you do have one, not only is clothing irritating, but people touching you is irritating, taking a hot shower is irritating. Your perception is colored by that sunburn.

So true! The sunburn analogy is perfect.

If a person is very insecure about their weight they could project those feelings and insert them in conversations about weight that are not intended to be hurtful.

• AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

No, it was another thread someone else posted. However, I do feel that plenty were quite rude in that thread. I do feel it is rude t assert that someone is using a disease as a “crutch” because they have the same condition and aren’t having those issues. No two people are exactly the same. The way our bodies respond to conditions, good are bad are not always going to be the same. This is what started my feeling this way, but not what I was referencing.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

No, it was another three someone else posted. However, I do feel that plenty were quite rude in that thread.

I'm sorry that that's been your perception. If you feel people are attacking or insulting you, then report the posts to the mods and let them sort it out. I don't see how complaining about people here is helping to contribute to a better forum environment.
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    Options

No, it was another three someone else posted. However, I do feel that plenty were quite rude in that thread.

I'm sorry that that's been your perception. If you feel people are attacking or insulting you, then report the posts to the mods and let them sort it out. I don't see how complaining about people here is helping to contribute to a better forum environment.
    I did not start this thread. I was merely contributing my feelings on the topic of conversation. Is that not allowed? Plenty of other people have chimed in with their feelings. For some reason I’m excluded from sharing my experiences because you don’t share my point of view on it? My feelings and contributions are just as valid as yours and everyone else’s.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    People seem to be strangely averse to admitting that they don't know something for sure. "I don't know" isn't sexy, even though it's often true. Nutrition is one of those areas where a lot of people have bizarrely strong opinions on claims that are too new to have been fully studied and verified, or that are just straight up unverified. I chalk this up to a few things:
    • Lack of solid scientific education (don't really understand the scientific method that well, and this isn't helped by piss-poor scientific journalism)
    • A perception that your diet and your weight say something about your values/morals/personality. Performing some feat of deprivation or arbitrary restriction will surely show others that you are committed/disciplined/strong-willed!
    • Fear of the uncontrolled -- people fear pain, death, and disease, so they overemphasize the impact of the things they can control (food, exercise, sleep) to soothe that anxiety (regardless of whether it actually works or has a significant impact relative to the effort and cost). It's not hard to find people who obsess with "clean eating" (whatever that means) because they think it'll keep them from getting cancer or whatever, even though realistically most cancers and a lot of other ailments are not preventable (or curable) with food alone (or with food at all). Simply put, it's just nice to think we have that much control, even though we probably don't.**

**In the US, I have a hunch that this anxiety is worsened with the increasingly awful state of health care and health care affordability. Woo-y home remedies are appealing because they're easily accessible -- they're cheap, and they're usually simple to understand (1 or 2 ingredients). If you believe that they work then you don't have to think about how seriously f***'d you are that you can't afford/access actual treatment. This is NOT helped by the distrust shady doctors/insurance companies/pharmaceutical companies have sowed in the general public -- people do not perceive their doctors as having their patients' best interests in mind, and I can't blame them for that. Without access and trust, people will turn to disreputable sources, because even if it's just a placebo, it's better than confronting the grim and bleak circumstances we find ourselves in.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I think 'diet' has a negative association. People don't think of it as 'the food you eat' but rather 'the food you can't eat'. Maybe a simple word change will help, such as nutrition.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I recently restarted my quest to lose weight, and after almost 2 months, I am down about 16 pounds. In the past, I've tried traditional diets and less popular diets, and I finally found one that's working for me (i.e. I'm losing weight and pretty easily able to stick to it.) I am proud of myself. Some have commented on my jeans fitting more loosely, and it feels good. With that loss, a few have asked how I'm doing it, so I tell them. Diet and exercise, of course. But then when I tell them the diet, 90% of people tell me I should be doing this, instead of that, and I'm not doing it right, etc., etc.

It feels like if I were to tell 147 people about my diet, I would get 147 different opinions on what I should be doing instead. And each of those 147 people is somehow an all-knowing nutrition expert who knows THE ONLY healthy way to lose weight, be it low-carb, low-cal, IF, vegan, gluten-free, etc.

Why can't people just say, "Keep up the good work!" and keep their opinions to themselves anymore? I'm not looking for an answer to this question. I guess I'm just looking to vent and commiserate with anyone else who is experiencing the same.

I had some similar experiences with people around the topic of lifting weights when I posted some questions on the Community boards regarding strength training. I had some sincere and helpful answers, but I also had some condescending (arrogant) and/or just plain mean responses.

For me anyway, I think the key here is that I just take it all in -- all of this input, the good and the bad, process it for how I think it can help me to do better, thank the person, and move on.
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    edited July 2018
    Options

I did not start this thread. I was merely contributing my feelings on the topic of conversation. Is that not allowed? Plenty of other people have chimed in with their feelings. For some reason I’m excluded from sharing my experiences because you don’t share my point of view on it? My feelings and contributions are just as valid as yours and everyone else’s.

Wow! You took that way out of perspective. I see much sunburn analogy fits well here.

I was disappointed to see that this thread turned into complaining about the forums (which didn't start with you). The only reason I specifically asked you was because I have seen you in several threads and you seem to be getting some great help and advice. I was wondering what specifically has been coloring your perceptions of the forums, because I haven't seen the kind of gong show with your posts as I have with some people. At no point in time was I suggesting that you shouldn't contribute to the forums. I'm just trying to understand your perspective. But hey, let's make this about something it's not.
    I am sorry that I misunderstood you. Again, the post that really upset me wasn’t about me. I didn’t even post in the thread, because I didn’t want to get into an argument. Which I why I abandoned my origin thread. Maybe my perception of how I was spoken to there is I’ll perceived, and perhaps the same with the other thread, albeit there was a lot of arguing going on in to. However, it doesn’t change the way it made me feel. It kind of like when someone used the terms “no offense but” or “I’m not judging you but” etc saying those conditionary phrases before your statement doesn’t mean that the person will not feel offended, or judged. You know what I mean? I have received quite a bit of help, to which I am grateful for. Also, in one of my early posts in this thread I mentioned that those kind people are the ones that lead me to believe that the rude ones are more few and far between, and that is not the common culture here.

My apologies to the OP for hyjacking your thread.