July 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,433 Member
    @polskagirl01 Very awesome race report! I was smiling the whole time I read it!
  • mcw2018mfp
    mcw2018mfp Posts: 84 Member
    PastorVincent wrote: »
    @polskagirl01 Well done@!!! You hooked to trail races now? :D

Yep. As soon as I can get down these stairs and out the front door again.

@polskagirl01 - Most of my halfs have been trail runs. I like them because they are usually small and the routes are always beautiful but those downhills... make it hard to sit on the toilet the next day.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    @Elise4270 wins the most awesome person on the running challenge thread. Thanks for the cookbooks! :)

She's pretty special. :) You should also check out the cookbooks from Thug Kitchen. Totally vegan, totally easy, totally delicious and totally entertaining.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=nMVOgYo0f5I
  • LaDispute57
    What throws a wrench into this possibly is my 8 days of bliss - err mini vacation next week, going back up to Wisconsin!

I lived in Wisconsin for about 12 years way back when I was a kid. I remember those nasty hot, humid summers with mosquitos the size of robins assaulting me in droves as early as 7 in the morning. Nobody in their right mind wants to vacation in Wisconsin... just sayin'.... There is this stunningly beautiful place called the Caribbean. It has blinding white beaches, riveting azure waters and endless streams of icy alcohol. You should totally check it out. It ain't Wisconsin. :)

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    What throws a wrench into this possibly is my 8 days of bliss - err mini vacation next week, going back up to Wisconsin!

I lived in Wisconsin for about 12 years way back when I was a kid. I remember those nasty hot, humid summers with mosquitos the size of robins assaulting me in droves as early as 7 in the morning. Nobody in their right mind wants to vacation in Wisconsin... just sayin'.... There is this stunningly beautiful place called the Caribbean. It has blinding white beaches, riveting azure waters and endless streams of icy alcohol. You should totally check it out. It ain't Wisconsin. :)

I vacation to Wisconsin. Get to visit awesome people and see green for once. Planning to do a half there in the fall or spring or both!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,970 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Iffiormana wrote: »
    Iffiormana wrote: »
    I walk minimum of 5miles daily so in a month I can do 150miles.I will try to do 150 may be a bit more or a bit less can’t say yet.

So, I do not know your level of fitness or training, but if you are newish or even intermediate to this you will want to make sure you are taking at least 1 rest day a week. It is way too easy to overdo it and burn out or get hurt. Just something to consider. Some of us (including me when schedule permits) do run every day for big stretches, but by far most runners only run 3 or 4 days a week.
    I try to run 5miles but but obviously I can’t so I just take small breaks in between or start walking when gets really tired.
    No I don’t take rest days and I’m really fine with doing this,it’s helping me loose weight.
    I don’t over exert myself :)

Anyone else a bit worried about this?

@Iffiormana Are you saying you walk 5 miles every day and are now going to run every day? I hope not.

Rest days are when your muscles get stronger and faster. You can walk on rest days, but you shouldn't run, and if you're a beginner you should only run 3 days a week.

I agree with this very wise advice.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member

lol. I'm born & bred Wisconsin-ite. So, as far as being in my "right mind", well, never been accused of that in the 1st place! haha I unfortunately live in Flori-duh now, and I'm NOT a tropical, beaches and palm trees kinda girl. I live about 5 mins away from Siesta Key, 1 of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and I rarely get out there. I have been to the Bahamas, & a few other islands, and yes, it beautiful, but really, just more of the same as I get here.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    garygse wrote: »
    Fun fact: Food poisoning is a quick way to lose a lot of weight. Like 5lbs. In one night. I certainly don't recommend it though.

Needless to say, I didn't run this morning.

@garygse Oh no! Feel better soon! Food poisoning is the worst. I contacted food poisoning 10 years ago from a Wendy’s chicken sandwich. To this day, I still shutter every time I drive by a Wendy’s fast food place.
  • LaDispute57
    I vacation to Wisconsin. Get to visit awesome people and see green for once. Planning to do a half there in the fall or spring or both!
    Do the Dances with Dirt in Baraboo
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member

I've already got my eye on the two I want to do.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

i keep eyeing that one but it makes me a little nervous. especially if it does the stone steps. those give me major anxiety.
    I'll be looking at xc thrillogy/canicross races. but.....one of the race results says "got lost" with a list of people, and "blazed our own trail" with another list. i'm directionally challenged