July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    July goals 60 miles. Work up to 5 minutes of running. Bike often. Rehab smart. Not die in the heat.

1---5.52 mtn bike
    2---2.09 run 3(4,4)
    3---5.58 mtn bike
    4---3.33 mile run 5(4,4)
    4---2.43 road bike
    5---3.42 run 7(3,3)

MILES
    Running 8.8
    Cycling/MTN bike 13.5

Upcoming Races
    July 22 Draper Lake Duathlon (3k,22.5k,3k). Norman OK
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    No run for me today. It is 7:45pm and I could probably go ahead and fall asleep. I’m trying to stay up for a bit, but there is a good chance I’ll be asleep in the recliner in half an hour, haha.

My dogs were terrified of the fireworks last night. There is nothing like two 60lb Bassets sitting on top of you. Thank goodness for thunder-shirts!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Welcome @workaholic_nurse!
    Yay, glad you got over your food poisoning @garygse!
    I know by experience the odd-number of breathing works. I don't really think about it now, but when I was first starting out I used to get side stitches because I was doing 4:4 breathing. But once they started, I would purposely exhale opposite the hurting side, and within a minute the side stitch would go away. Now I do 3:3 or even 5:5, and never get them anymore.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Shoes...

I just got a new pair of running shoes. They felt great in the shop when I tried them on - then ended up ordering online when there was a half price sale. They feel great now, but I notice a little bit of tightness around the big toe...
    I just went for a quick 30 second jog to see if they immediately bug me, and no it doesn't but I'm worried about how they will handle long runs. They are New Balance and the tops are very very stretchy fabric, and town is 2hr drive away so getting shoes is a major hassle for me.

Just return them?? Shoes I'm usually very much if there are any niggles, don't get them. but they are great apart from a very slight noticeable touching of my big toe on the top of the shoe.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    July Goals: 200 running miles.

July Running:
    07.02.18 - 07.08.18: Running Miles / Weekly TSS / Fitness: CTL
    07.09.18 - 07.15.19: Running Miles / Weekly TSS / Fitness: CTL
    07.16.18 - 07.22.18: Running Miles / Weekly TSS / Fitness: CTL
    07.23.18 - 07.29.18: Running Miles / Weekly TSS / Fitness: CTL

Goals 07.02.18 - 07.08.18:
    Run: 6 Days, plus a LR of 15 on Wknd.

Base 1 : Week 1 of 4
    07.02.18 - 9.3 m.
    07.03.18 - 9.7 m.
    07.04.18 - 5.2 m.
    07.05.18 - 5.7 m.

Upcoming Events:
    08.25.18 - Tour de Donut Bike Ride

• AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I couldn't even WALK away from the darn thing once I got up.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Shoes...

I just got a new pair of running shoes. They felt great in the shop when I tried them on - then ended up ordering online when there was a half price sale. They feel great now, but I notice a little bit of tightness around the big toe...
    I just went for a quick 30 second jog to see if they immediately bug me, and no it doesn't but I'm worried about how they will handle long runs. They are New Balance and the tops are very very stretchy fabric, and town is 2hr drive away so getting shoes is a major hassle for me.

Just return them?? Shoes I'm usually very much if there are any niggles, don't get them. but they are great apart from a very slight noticeable touching of my big toe on the top of the shoe.

1. Have you worn new balance before? If so, and they've been fine. Then perhaps keep them.
    2. If you don't love them immediately, take them back when possible. (Online return an option?)
    3. Keep them. If they suck on long runs, donate them and replace them.

I've never had shoes that I questioned and they turned out alright. Always a regret- no i take that back (doh) i bought some OC's and my toenail barely caught the inseam in an odd way. But no longer. They just pick up gravel and make for terrible trail shoes. I digress... I do like new balance though. But maybe this pair is just off.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Shoes...

1. Have you worn new balance before? If so, and they've been fine. Then perhaps keep them.
    2. If you don't love them immediately, take them back when possible. (Online return an option?)

I've never had shoes that I questioned and they turned out alright. Always a regret- no i take that back (doh) i bought some OC's and my toenail barely caught the inseam in an odd way. But no longer. They just pick up gravel and make for terrible trail shoes. I digress... I do like new balance though. But maybe this pair is just off.

Ive pretty much always had new balance, my current pair, that I LOVE are NB and they are great. I agree about never had a pair that Ive questioned turn out ok. Ill see if i can get the next size up.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    July Running Totals (miles)
    7/1 – rest day
    7/2 – 5.11 not easy enough
    7/3 – 4.14 warmup, speed work, cool down
    7/4 – 6.22 commute to/from town park
    7/5 – 3.74 warmup, tempo run, cool down

July running total to date – 19.21

Nominal July mileage goal: 100 miles

Real goals: Get healthy. Build base. Work toward being able to run Wineglass in September.

Today's notes – No formal club practice this week, so I dropped in on the training session's Thursday workout. Stood around in a dry store watching a thundershower, sat through a beginner's talk on running terminology while we waited for the thunder to go away, then off to the run. A too-short warmup, 15 minutes of hills at tempo, and a too-short cool down added up to modest distance for today. The shower cooled things off a bit, so it was only 82º F (28º C), but it was horribly humid. Garmin says I covered 2.17 miles in my 15 minutes, for an average pace of 6:53 per mile. That's a little slower than I'd normally target for T pace, but with the humidity and hills it was quite reasonable.

Rest day tomorrow, and Saturday I try to run 10 miles for the first time since the June 3 half.

2018 races:
    February 17, 2018 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) finished in 54:48
    February 24, 2018 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) finished in 28:46
    March 17, 2018 USATF Masters 8K (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 31:55
    March 24, 2018 Spring Forward 15K (Mendon, NY) ran at MP, finished in 1:10:47
    April 16, 2018 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:28:43
    April 29, 2018 USATF Masters 10K (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 41:33
    May 20, 2018 Lilac 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 42:21
    May 26, 2018 Sunset House 5K (Rochester, NY) finished in 20:12
    June 3, 2018 USATF Masters Half Marathon (Ann Arbor, MI) finished in 1:34:42
    June 9, 2018 Ontario Summit Trail Half Marathon (Naples, NY) DNS - injury
    June 17, 2018 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) short course, 18:04 for ~2.9 miles
    June 30, 2018 Charlie's Old Goat Trail Run 5 mile (Victor, NY) 4.89 miles by Garmin, 43:15
    July 28, 2018 Battle at Bristol 10K (Naples, NY)
    September 30, 2018 Wineglass Marathon (Bath, NY)
    November 11, 2018 Syracuse Half Marathon (Syracuse, NY)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Shoes...

Ive pretty much always had new balance, my current pair, that I LOVE are NB and they are great. I agree about never had a pair that Ive questioned turn out ok. Ill see if i can get the next size up.

I tend to agree. Your feet tend to SWELL as you run. So if they feel a little tight standing around, then it is likely they will be even tighter as you go. I mean shoes do stretch so might be okay, but normally if they do not feel comfortable when you stand around with them on, they will not get better. IME.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Shoes...

I tend to agree. Your feet tend to SWELL as you run. So if they feel a little tight standing around, then it is likely they will be even tighter as you go. I mean shoes do stretch so might be okay, but normally if they do not feel comfortable when you stand around with them on, they will not get better. IME.

Oh yes I forgot about that aspect. Yep I knew I would have to try exchange them, I was just in temporary denial. Already ordered the next size up and will send these back. Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.
  • mcw2018mfp
    mcw2018mfp Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Aiming for 50 Miles

July 1 - 3 miles 35:00 Happy Canada Day
    July 2 - 5.58 Miles 60:00 Hilly, windy, and cold on this holiday Monday.
    July 3 - HIIT class so no run.
    July 4 - 3.25 miles 37:30
    July 5 - 5.4 miles 56:30 Intervals 400;800;1200;1600;1200;800;400m
    Total: 17.23

July 15 - The Moose Is Loose 10k trail run
    Goal- under 60 minutes
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Oh digging through Fitbits threads, I think I found the answer to the problem I had. If you pause the run, then resume, then finish - which I accidentally did this morning - then you loose most of your GPS data. They have known about it for over 6 months and are still trying to fix it. So something for everyone to be aware of if you aren't already.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    5.58 km on the Miserable Miles course. A slow start to the month.
    22.8C - Extreme heat for me. Sucked up 1.5 liters of water in less than a hour because of it.
    Some parts of the course were overgrown with waist high grass. This forces me into a walk as running is impossible. Still a good outing as I needed the exercise and definitely needed the challenge of Misery Mountain Hill Climb.

Someone took down all the signs - Vandalism? or Town Parks Dept ( my guess ) removing all the Random Signs put in place by athletes over the years marking certain key intersections. Some how without #SoulCrusher the hill climb doesn't seem complete, #ParachuteHill descent needs the warning so people don't power over the edge at full speed and #JudahJump well that needs no explanation.

exercise.png
    girlinahat wrote: »
    All that talk about it getting dark by 9.30 - I forget how much further NORTH we are here. I’m basically on a similar latitude to Calgary, so that will have an effect on sunset, no matter what time zone anyone is in.

I am a solid 8 hr drive north of Calgary ( picture M1 in a straight line ) and only 1 - 10 minute Fuel and washroom stop. So at this time of year the sun is only below the Horizon for about 6 hours with 1.5 hrs of Twilight/Dawn so only 3 hrs of true night. Fireworks would have to start at midnight to truly be spectacular. 2xtvc80sb5cr.jpg
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    @teerai - that is exactly what we have been doing. I was able to get him to go outside Tuesday night, right as a blast went off behind our yard. Gave him treats and told him to go. He did and zoomed back into the house :) I also have been putting his snow coat on, it is a stretchy tight fit roughwear and I think works like a thunder shirt. He seems to like it, or at least doesn't object to putting it on.
    @AprilRN10 - I am so glad he didn't bite after he knocked you down!
    @juliett3455 - too bad about the signs! I hate it when someone takes away your points reference and your motivational signs!
    @abutcher2122 - I am thinking it will have to be gym treadmill run or maybe just a swim. With this heat the pool should theoretically be warm enough.