Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    When people from the US Midwest who complain about the cold weather and snow all winter then shift to complaining on social media about the very brief period of heat we get during the summer, I question why they are in my life.

I get it when my local friends complain about the cold. I live in the allegedly sunny South. However, I lose my cool when they complain about 90s in July. Why do you live here? It's supposed to be hot and sunny.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    When people from the US Midwest who complain about the cold weather and snow all winter then shift to complaining on social media about the very brief period of heat we get during the summer, I question why they are in my life.

I get it when my local friends complain about the cold. I live in the allegedly sunny South. However, I lose my cool when they complain about 90s in July. Why do you live here? It's supposed to be hot and sunny.

The most irritating part is that these people don't work outside landscaping or doing construction, they are people who work indoors and therefore their only required exposure to the heat is when walking from their air-conditioned office to their air-conditioned vehicles, and then from their air-conditioned vehicles to their air-conditioned homes/restaurants/stores :|
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    @becky3695 awesome job kicking butt on the marathon race! Looks like you had a blast.

DItto this. I loved the pictures!
  • raymax4
    Options

I think it sad that they can't enjoy the weather whatever it is. I do wilt a bit when it get to the 100s
  • deagh93
    deagh93 Posts: 77 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Why is this a confession? Because I care more about both lions on Africa and some people on this thread than I do about my neighbors. There has to be something wrong with that. (I know this is a no judgment zone, but they are terrible people for terrorizing their own puppy by shooting off fireworks this week. They had the poor thing tied in the front porch while they were in the back yard.)

Sounds totally normal to me. We had neighbors shooting off fireworks at the end of the cul de sac. Our one cat was absolutely terrified, and the explosions were so loud even the deaf one occasionally raised her head. (she's about 95% deaf, we think - the small bones in her ears have fused in her old age). The cordite smell and the smoke meant we couldn't open the house, either, and even with the house totally shut up it was bad enough that we were starting to react to it, plus we were sweltering. Most houses in Seattle don't have A/C as it's not really needed. We have a window unit in the master bedroom, but it can only do so much.

Plus we didn't sleep a wink (once the fireworks finally stopped...at 3 in the fricking morning) because we both kept waking up from nightmares that a stray firework set our roof on fire. I'm feeling like I'd like to set those lions on my neighbors right now.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    deagh93 wrote: »
    Why is this a confession? Because I care more about both lions on Africa and some people on this thread than I do about my neighbors. There has to be something wrong with that. (I know this is a no judgment zone, but they are terrible people for terrorizing their own puppy by shooting off fireworks this week. They had the poor thing tied in the front porch while they were in the back yard.)

Sounds totally normal to me. We had neighbors shooting off fireworks at the end of the cul de sac. Our one cat was absolutely terrified, and the explosions were so loud even the deaf one occasionally raised her head. (she's about 95% deaf, we think - the small bones in her ears have fused in her old age). The cordite smell and the smoke meant we couldn't open the house, either, and even with the house totally shut up it was bad enough that we were starting to react to it, plus we were sweltering. Most houses in Seattle don't have A/C as it's not really needed. We have a window unit in the master bedroom, but it can only do so much.

Plus we didn't sleep a wink (once the fireworks finally stopped...at 3 in the fricking morning) because we both kept waking up from nightmares that a stray firework set our roof on fire. I'm feeling like I'd like to set those lions on my neighbors right now.

I confess that I don't like fireworks, especially the amateur variety that people like to shoot off in their neighborhoods after a few drinks. Even the professional ones - if you have seen one high budget fireworks display, you have seen them all, and I just don't get the public's fascination.
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options

I am British so it is my inalienable right to complain about the weather. 😉
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

My neighbors aren't that bad, thankfully. They stopped about 12:15 on the 5th. I just feel sorry for the dog.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

I confess that I don't like fireworks, especially the amateur variety that people like to shoot off in their neighborhoods after a few drinks. Even the professional ones - if you have seen one high budget fireworks display, you have seen them all, and I just don't get the public's fascination.

I love professional fireworks displays, but admit that the best show I have ever seen was put on by the US Army Corps of Engineers. My dad retired from the Big Red 1 and they use combat mortars to fire off their display. It ends with an American flag, fired from a tank gun. It will spoil you for sure.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »

I am British so it is my inalienable right to complain about the weather. 😉

Well, sure, but you enjoy the sunshine when it comes. :)
  • raymax4
    Options
    It was so hot a dry heee the last few months that our city chose not to have fire works display. Instead they hosted a carnival with games and face painting. My hubby told me in the morning that people were setting fireworks off all around us all evening long. I’m glad nothing got burned down.
  • raymax4
    Options
    Thank God for the rain!!!! Our walk was only 80 F and 72% humidity. It seems so refreshing compared to previous weather.

Funny we are getting late onset fireworks. Probably from the people that knew the risks 2 days ago
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rhino-poachers-eaten-by-lions_us_5b3e6cd4e4b05127ccf02c69

This is not where I read it yesterday, but it's in my news again today. And I'm still Team Lion and Team Rhino

I am so glad those lions got them. Justice.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    raymax4 wrote: »
    Thank God for the rain!!!! Our walk was only 80 F and 72% humidity. It seems so refreshing compared to previous weather.

Funny we are getting late onset fireworks. Probably from the people that knew the risks 2 days ago

I'm laying in bed in cool weather under covers and no humidity. Heavenly.
  • Oberon21
    Options

I think it sad that they can't enjoy the weather whatever it is. I do wilt a bit when it get to the 100s

I also get annoyed when people who complain all winter about wanting summer then complain when it gets hot. They are never happy.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »

Yes! I was so happy to be able to turn off the ac's and open the windows last night!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    edited July 2018
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Oberon21 wrote: »

Yes! I was so happy to be able to turn off the ac's and open the windows last night!

Same!
    It's only supposed to be in the 80's today. :)
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I've been off five days & don't want to go back to work tomorrow! Ugh! I have to work eight days in a row, but at least I'm off next Saturday at least.

I've allowed myself to indulge on my vacation (nothing really spectacular food wise, but just allowing myself to enjoy my vacation) & will get back on track tomorrow.

I have some chicken thawing out to cook for batch lunches for the week.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Confession Time: I forgot to eat breakfast before going grocery shopping today and ended up eating half a pound of rainier cherries, unwashed, in the car after I shopped.