Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can you call an ambulance for somebody without their consent?

Options
12346»

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Also, you can call but you can't MAKE the person go. They can get checked over by the EMTs and then decline the ride.
  • kroe4
    kroe4 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Dude was already in a cast and using a walker and he got hit by a car. Poor guy.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I might chime in....

I am American and proud to be an American. But, I find it somewhat funny that we are worried about "legal issues" with this type of situation. And, then on top of that, civil liability.

The OP did the right thing. Absolutely. I mean, you never know and there could be internal injuries that we can not see/readily identify. And we all have likely seen someone in shock before....they can NOT make any decisions. How badly would you feel if you did nothing and something bad happened to that person, something that *could* have been avoided?

I am admittedly ignorant as to the laws here (in North Carolina) as to who pays for what but I have seen - three different times - a person faint or pass out and someone did the right thing and called 911 and the Police and EMT came and - in each event - the person denied service. Their reason (in all three cases): I ain't paying that bill!

So, is this a medical system issue or a legal issue? Or, both?

I don't have that answer. Or, any answer, for that matter. I am more conservative in nature *BUT* I did live in Germany for several years. Not sure. I just find it a bit silly that we are worried about legal responsibility here. And, not picking on the OP. Absolutely not. She absolutely did the right thing. To me, that should not even be a question as to what to do (you call 100 times out of 100 - without hesitation or being prompted to do something....seconds can make a difference).

So, this is a very interesting thread to me.

I grew up in California and I know of a lot of EMT Service Providers that go out of business because no one ever pays. Not siding with them....just sharing that information.

I really and truly look forward to other's comments....

I really think that Americans get so scared of legal liability BECAUSE our healthcare costs are so high. If someone breaks your rib doing chest compressions, but you live in a country with a single payer system, that broken rib costs you almost nothing as far as medical care. If you also have paid sick leave how on earth are you going to claim financial damage from the chest compressions?

Healthcare costs are high because of the the legal liability/contingent fee lawyers. Oh and you know Congress is the American Bar Association's *kitten*.

And because the medical insurance industry is in bed with the medical and pharmacological industries. But that's a deep, deep dive.

It's a toxic insertion of insurance first, then government, then industries which profit from this exchange.

Who would've thought that deliberately inserting middle-men without checks and balances would raise cost?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    op, just to say i like your consideration for the guy's global picture even while you were so concerned about his safety/health. can't say anything about the legalities in america though.

in canada ambulance is a private service, NOT covered as a 'doctor or hospital service'. so an unexpected 85 bucks can be a big surprise to some people's budget.

just looked it up and here in Ontario it is only $45 that is not covered by OHIP (the provincial health insurance plan) - good to know!