JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Replies

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,186 Member
    edited July 2018
    jeschepp wrote: »

Could you get her a case manager or skills worker? Most of the time they only connect weekly or a few times per month as needed (sometimes more at the start). They could help with daily skills and housing if it comes to that. There are also housing options that are semi-independent, and much less structured than a group home. Just a few ideas I thought I would share. Always depends on the region and what's available.

She does not have a case manager ... because she has no insight. SHe has a masters degree in Occupational Therapy, so she still sees herself as being the caretaker for others. SO this makes it hard. She is able to work about 1 hour a day, because she can fake being OK. But any longer than that, she gets worse. I have been in those group homes, and they are so depressing. Right now, we are just not ready to do that. I know in time that may have to happen, but we are just taking it a day at a time. But thank you for your suggestions.
  • mytime6630
    edited July 2018

To protect the computer equipment it has to have a screw top instead of one that just pops off and on in case I knock it over. So anything from the vending machine is fine because they only vend bottles, no cans, but my old trusty plastic bottle doesn't meet the standard.

This is probably a good idea LOL!!You would not believe how many times I have knocked my water glass over and spilled it on my keyboard!
  • mytime6630
    OK @Bex ---- are you drinking your water!!!!! Diet coach here checking on you today!
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    mytime6630 wrote: »

To protect the computer equipment it has to have a screw top instead of one that just pops off and on in case I knock it over. So anything from the vending machine is fine because they only vend bottles, no cans, but my old trusty plastic bottle doesn't meet the standard.

This is probably a good idea LOL!!You would not believe how many times I have knocked my water glass over and spilled it on my keyboard!

Yeah, I would think it was silly, except I've actually ruined a keyboard before in just that way, so I just shrugged my shoulders and went online to find one. I can even use the Target gift card that's currently sitting in my email!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,060 Member
    OK @Bex ---- are you drinking your water!!!!! Diet coach here checking on you today!

I will be today. Its 6am here. I'm in a bad mood because its 6am. Getting sick of being woken this early by the kids.
    My 4 year old is being a total nightmare, constantly, all day. I can't take it anymore. I've talked to her., shouted at her, put her in her room, put her on the step, pleaded with her, burst into tears begging her to stop and then even her dad got involved basically doing the same thing and she just did not stop.

Hence the awful day. I just don't know what to do anymore. She doesn't listen to a word I say. Not a word. Or she will for about 30 seconds before I'm having to tell her again.
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    edited July 2018
    Challenges:
    July 1: Water :) ; Walk :/ (storming outside!); mindful eating :) ; planning :) ---- my planning for the next 3 days will be to just eat as healthy as I can! We are traveling tomorrow to see our son in Michigan - a 8 hr car ride. We tend to stop at McDonalds a lot, so I know I can find things low calorie. My problem will be the rest of the 3 days we are there. But .... even though I can't plan ahead as far as "what" I will eat, I can plan ahead to make wise choices.

July 2-5 --- Water :) ; walk (worked out on the farm alot, so I'm sure I got this in! :) mindful eating :) YES - well, as much as I could; planning :/ - no way, but I was very careful as to my choices!

July 6 Water :) (up to 7 glasses so far, plan on 2 more tonite; walk :) - I didn't get outside walking, but mall walking with my daughter; mindful eating :) Wanted to grab some ice cream this afternoon, but looked at the orange I had written down, and had frozen grapes instead; plan ahead :) Day is all planned for tomorrow (leftover chic burrittos).

July 7: Water :) walk :) (actually mowing grass); mindful eating :/ ended up eating too many cheese and crackers, and then gave in to a bowl of ice cream tonite; planning :) (I have my menu written down for tomorrow)
    -
    July 8 & 9 - water :/ ; walk :) mindful eating :/ planning :/
    july 10, 11 -water :/ ; wal :/ mindful eating :/ planning :/

So glad you keep coming on here. That's a win all by itself.
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    JFT, weds

DO THE BASICS:
    1. DRINK WATER :) YAH! Made it to my 8 glasses today
    2. EAT PROTEIN :) Protein shake for lunch, and bbq pork for dinner. (Dinner is SO much easier when planned ahead and in the crockpot!
    3. EAT PLANTS - veggies, fruits :)
    4. EXERCISE :) Went for a 45 minute walk with a friend -- therapy time, plus exercise. Just what was needed today
    5. PLAN AHEAD :) While watching "my 600 lb weight loss, looked through a new cookbook I got .... lots of new recipes to try, all under 400 calories

Today was much better. I was tired, but concentrated on water instead of food. Tonite, my daughter came out ... went to the bookstore so she got some new books, then stopped and bought her a few new tops.

I was watching the show "My 600 pound Life", and one of the ladies was in therapy --- talking about emotional eating. This is a struggle for me as well ... emotional eating. So many of you ask how to handle large parties, BBQ, etc. These are never a problem for me. .... I do well for meals... and when eating in public. My problem is, and has always been, eating in private when I am emotionally stressed.

On tonite show, the therapist told the girl to not let the "mean voice" come out. You know ... that voice that tells you that you will fail, that you won't ever lose the weight, that you need this food to cope.
    We need to use the "nice, kind voice". The loving voice that gives us confidence that we can handle any problem, without food. That we CAN lose the weight, and reach our goals. And if we have a bad day, thats OK. We can still lose the weight.
    So I am going to try and get rid of that mean voice, and replace it with that kind, loving voice!

SO JFT, Thursday
    1. log all food
    2. Drink water - april challenge
    3. go outside for a walk, or go to the gym
    4. eat protein
    5. eat plants
    6. plan ahead
    7. mindful eating
    Just for Wednesday: (7/11):
    Log every bite
    Stay in the green
    July budget & bills Part 2
    Spend at least one hour studying for exams
    Finish top of quilt and pin it
    1 lb veggies and 2 svgs fruit
    Dust off Beck's Diet Solution and get through Day1
    Uplug at 9:00 and read. Lights out at 10:00.

I went to see the Orthopedic surgeon today for the hip pain. I now have an appointment next week to see a Pain & Spine doctor and get an MRI. Ortho thinks I have two separate issues going and that both he and the Pain & Spine doctor may have to work together to try to get me walking better and with less pain. He thinks I have a labrum tear in my hip joint which he can operate on, but he also thinks I have a pinched nerve by my lumbar spine which is affecting the muscles in my left leg and causing muscle wasting. I'm not gonna lie. I felt defeated when I left. I drove to a parking lot, parked my car, called my husband and cried. I'm trying so hard to get healthy. But like my husband said...we can get through anything together, and he says I beat cancer and this isn't cancer, so we got this. I sure hope he's right. I'm feeling really discouraged today.

Oh, chronic pain. Especially in the back/hip/leg/foot is so wearying and discouraging. I have chronic pain and it makes me feel old. And it absolutely wears me down. And some days I feel like I am never going to get better, and then I'm discouraged. One of our sons is getting married in November and I'm praying I will be able to dance at the reception. What personally helps dispel my dark cloud is to begin listing things I am grateful for. And I do have a lot. It doesn't ease the pain, but I do regain my joy and that's very valuable to me. I have no solutions for you but I do have lots of empathy.
  • nickssweetheart
    Menu planning done! I have a lot of stuff to use up so I actually don't have much to buy this weekend. Still, some good sales on mushrooms, bell peppers, avocados, walnuts and lots of stone fruits. Main dishes: lentil stew, lemon artichoke risotto, mushroom zucchini fajitas with guacamole.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Menu planning done! I have a lot of stuff to use up so I actually don't have much to buy this weekend. Still, some good sales on mushrooms, bell peppers, avocados, walnuts and lots of stone fruits. Main dishes: lentil stew, lemon artichoke risotto, mushroom zucchini fajitas with guacamole.

All sounds delicious! Great planning @nickssweetheart
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Bex953172 wrote: »

I will be today. Its 6am here. I'm in a bad mood because its 6am. Getting sick of being woken this early by the kids.
    My 4 year old is being a total nightmare, constantly, all day. I can't take it anymore. I've talked to her., shouted at her, put her in her room, put her on the step, pleaded with her, burst into tears begging her to stop and then even her dad got involved basically doing the same thing and she just did not stop.

Hence the awful day. I just don't know what to do anymore. She doesn't listen to a word I say. Not a word. Or she will for about 30 seconds before I'm having to tell her again.

Oh @Bex953172 - massive sympathy! Sometimes they just are a nightmare. But it’s like they can sense you are tired and push your buttons. Then you get caught in a negative cycle.

I’m sure you’ve tried this but just in case... Have you got a reward chart you can use to encourage positive behaviour? Maybe she can get a star or sticker every time she does what you ask the first time you ask her? Or if she goes x hours/days without being on the step? Sometimes it helps to use something like that so she knows the best way to get your attention is through positive behaviour rather than negative.

Sending lots of patience and sympathy your way. X
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,060 Member
    Faebert wrote: »
    Bex953172 wrote: »

Oh @Bex953172 - massive sympathy! Sometimes they just are a nightmare. But it’s like they can sense you are tired and push your buttons. Then you get caught in a negative cycle.

I’m sure you’ve tried this but just in case... Have you got a reward chart you can use to encourage positive behaviour? Maybe she can get a star or sticker every time she does what you ask the first time you ask her? Or if she goes x hours/days without being on the step? Sometimes it helps to use something like that so she knows the best way to get your attention is through positive behaviour rather than negative.

Sending lots of patience and sympathy your way. X

Thank you xx
    I have used one in the past but it didn't really work then, maybe trying again now might work.
    She does have a list of jobs she has to do daily which is helping me out a bit with the tidying (it's just 3 things, tidy her room (toys in box), tidy the lounge before dinner (toys in box, blankets on sofa, cups/rubbish passed to me) and then help me load the dishwasher after dinner. All things she likes to do.

Thing is, I know I don't take the kids out enough, like to the park or anything and it makes me wonder if it's because of that that she's being a pain because she's just cooped up. But then she's being a nightmare and don't want it to seem like I'm rewarding her bad behavior with going to the park. Can't win!
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Feeling a little better today. I ran to work yesterday and it boosted my mood, making the rest of the day easier (which I needed - continual meetings from 10 - 2.30, several of them stressful ones!)

Yesterday's commitments:

- Stick to food plan :smile:
    - 4 bottles water :neutral: 3/4
    - Leave work BY 5.30 (so stop at 5.15) :/ Meeting overran so left at 5.45. Then got home at 7.05, 5 minutes into the England match.... And had missed the only England goal!!!! :'( What's worse is I knew already I'd missed it as the pub had erupted in cheers as I walked past it :s
    - French podcast, Duolingo, book :smile:

Today's commitments:
    - Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - Do exercise DVD
    - 4 bottles water
    - No alcohol

- 45+ minute lunch break
    - Get outside for a walk, even a quick one
    - French podcast, article, Duolingo, book
    - Stop working by 7.30
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member

I went to see the Orthopedic surgeon today for the hip pain. I now have an appointment next week to see a Pain & Spine doctor and get an MRI. Ortho thinks I have two separate issues going and that both he and the Pain & Spine doctor may have to work together to try to get me walking better and with less pain. He thinks I have a labrum tear in my hip joint which he can operate on, but he also thinks I have a pinched nerve by my lumbar spine which is affecting the muscles in my left leg and causing muscle wasting. I'm not gonna lie. I felt defeated when I left. I drove to a parking lot, parked my car, called my husband and cried. I'm trying so hard to get healthy. But like my husband said...we can get through anything together, and he says I beat cancer and this isn't cancer, so we got this. I sure hope he's right. I'm feeling really discouraged today.

Really sorry to hear about this, it must be so frustrating and I can totally understand why you're feeling discouraged, I think everyone would be.

It sounds positive though in that the Ortho seems to think that together he and the Pain & Spine doctor will be able to help? So whilst it's really difficult right now, it sounds like it will get better in future.

Take care of yourself while this is going on - don't ask too much of yourself and just focus on the key things that you know make the most difference to your health and wellbeing.

(On that note - I downloaded some of those Optimal Health/ Living podcasts you've mentioned - one was really interesting but one was... How shall I put it... Ridiculous! The person had been on a trip and had had a strategy for maintaining their weight whilst away which meant that essentially all they could eat was quinoa and seeds. I'm exaggerating a bit, but not that much. This is advice I'm not going to take - how boring!!!! I'd rather come back from a trip ten pounds heavier than only eat that...)

Thinking of you and sending you lots of positive thoughts and wishes. You're right, you have been through cancer and you will get through this.
  • nickssweetheart
    I keep forgetting to make my new goals. For today I will:

1. Log everything I eat and stay under goal.
    2. Drink 6 cups of water before 3 pm. I AM going to do this today. You can quote me!
    3. Do my physical therapy morning and evening.
    4. Eat only when hungry.
    5. Drink no more than 1 20 oz bottle of diet soda.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    JFT Wednesday Recap
    1. Log all food :)
    2. Lots of water :)
    3. Eat when you are hungry - stop when you are full :)
    4. 15 Wall push ups/bathroom trip >:) Just totally forgot again?!
    5. Cook dinner at home :)
    6. Bring more meds to work tomorrow >:) Left them on the counter this morning :s
    7. Bring home all shaker cups/tumblers :)

JFT Thursday
    1. Gather paperwork for appointment this afternoon
    2. Log all food
    3. Drink lots of water
    4. Eat when you are hungry stop when you are full
    5. Cook dinner at home
    6. Be kind!