July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Running in Johnson City/Jonesborough, TN area on Sunday. Anyone have any trail/route suggestions?
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,724 Member
    Options
    Running in Johnson City/Jonesborough, TN area on Sunday. Anyone have any trail/route suggestions?

You will be in my neck of the woods! I work about 30 minutes from that area. However, I rarely run over there since I live in the opposite direction. I know there is a group that meets during the week at East Tennessee State University and run through campus and around that area.

There is another group that runs on Thursday nights a 5-mile loop along the State of Franklin Greenway and through area neighborhoods. They meet in the lower parking lot of the Wellness Center, 200 MedTech Park, Johnson City.

There is also the Tweetsie Trail which is a converted rails-to-trails route. If you worry about getting lost, you can easily park at the trail head and do an out and back on it. I think it's about 10 miles in length. Not technical - just soft crushed gravel bed.

If you are staying in Jonesborough, I've run the road from I-26 over to the town of Jonesborough (Route 354). It has a very wide shoulder and is a safe area. I would run on it early in the morning though before traffic gets heavy.

All of these areas are safe, especially in the day time hours. These areas also have leash laws so you shouldn't have to worry about encountering any dogs.

If you are on Facebook, look for the State of Franklin Track Club page and ask to join. They are very responsive and if you post, someone will be sure to respond with some running route recommendations.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »

You will be in my neck of the woods! I work about 30 minutes from that area. However, I rarely run over there since I live in the opposite direction. I know there is a group that meets during the week at East Tennessee State University and run through campus and around that area.

There is another group that runs on Thursday nights a 5-mile loop along the State of Franklin Greenway and through area neighborhoods. They meet in the lower parking lot of the Wellness Center, 200 MedTech Park, Johnson City.

There is also the Tweetsie Trail which is a converted rails-to-trails route. If you worry about getting lost, you can easily park at the trail head and do an out and back on it. I think it's about 10 miles in length. Not technical - just soft crushed gravel bed.

If you are staying in Jonesborough, I've run the road from I-26 over to the town of Jonesborough (Route 354). It has a very wide shoulder and is a safe area. I would run on it early in the morning though before traffic gets heavy.

All of these areas are safe, especially in the day time hours. These areas also have leash laws so you shouldn't have to worry about encountering any dogs.

If you are on Facebook, look for the State of Franklin Track Club page and ask to join. They are very responsive and if you post, someone will be sure to respond with some running route recommendations.

@Teresa502 Thanks for the great suggestions. I don't do Facebook, went dark about 3 years ago and have not missed it once. Gonna check out the Tweetsie Trail as that sounds about my speed, only looking to get in 4-5 miles to complete my 50 for the month. Depends on how many I get in Friday morning.

ETA: After checking out the Tweetsie Trail map, I think it will be about a 6 mile as I will use the Happy Valley Elementary school as my halfway, about 3 miles in.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Also! Last it's the week of July, how's the 50 mile club doing? @amgreenwell, @ahelgers10, @bride001, @mcw2018mfp, @ereck44, @Teerai, @hanlonsk, @madisenb, @Marissaxzxzxz

I'm a little behind target but will still try and get as close as possible. I missed 2 runs since Saturday but that's life!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    July Goals: 200 running miles.

July Running:
    07.02.18 - 07.08.18: Running Miles 48 / Weekly TSS 585 / Fitness: 76 CTL
    07.09.18 - 07.15.19: Running Miles 40.3 / Weekly TSS 484 / Fitness: 75 CTL
    07.16.18 - 07.22.18: Running Miles 55 / Weekly TSS 654 / Fitness: 78 CTL
    07.23.18 - 07.29.18: Running Miles / Weekly TSS / Fitness: CTL

Goals 07.23.18 - 07.29.18:
    Run: 6 Days, at least 50 miles with a LR of 16 on Wknd.

Base 1 : Week 4 of 4
    07.23.18 - AM: 5.5 m. PM: 5.5 m.
    07.24.18 - AM: 2.4 m. PM: 7 m.
    07.25.18 - 8.7 m.

Upcoming Events:
    08.25.18 - Tour de Donut Bike Ride

Notes: