July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »

....and I also found a smoking deal on an Essential Phone.....the same one I use which has 128gigs of memory and NO bloatware. It was such a great deal I snapped it up, because one of us will need a new phone eventually.
    Eventually was apparently yesterday. We spent a lovely day at our favorite beach. DH actually got warm enough to go into the water.
    With his phone in his pocket.
    Hahahaha! I take it his phone wasnt water proof!

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    No run for me today. Hanging out with my parents. Finding a lake to fish at close to Elizabethton and heading to the range in Piney Flats for ammunition therapy. Hagd all esp those racing today.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Congratulations @katharmonic ! Loved the recap. And chocolate? Better than running for a banana!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic well done! Now share that chocolate with the rest of the thread! :lol:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I am way behind but wanted to comment on the tri discussion @rheddmobile, @_nikkiwolf_ and others were having... I have thought about it too. Can do the running and swimming but not the biking! Oh - I can ride a bike but never learned how to work all the gears and the braking scares the *kitten* out of me! Not to mention that the seats are so uncomfortable!
    I grew up swimming competitively as did my daughter. The most important thing I can tell you for basic crawl is to use your legs to flutter kick. Get that down first (hang on to the side of the pool and kick, float with your arms in front of you or holding a kickboard and kick) Then add in the arms making sure you are reaching out in front, cupping your hands a bit and pulling back, keeping your head down. To breath, turn your head (only) to the side and not twist your entire body. You can practice the breathing with the kicking too (holding the side of the pool, kickboardc, etc.) The kicking though is what helps you maintain the buoyancy in the water and makes the stroking/breathing part easier.

Theres always the aquathlon! My bike seat isn't uncomfortable, with a good seat and bike shorts it quickly becomes acclimated.

I used flippers to learn to kick. For the longest time i swam with my upper body only. I added the snorkel so i can focus on cardio endurance, but now i cant dind that breathing rhythm. Haha!

You can learn to flip through the gears. With todays bikes they are paddle shifters and so easy. Where my middle finger rests on the mountain bike, is "harder". Not hard to remember 😅 i think you'd love cycling.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic very nice 5k! Great AG place and overall finish.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Congrats @katharmonic on your race! Way to finish strong!! That's wonderful, go on and enjoy yourself! :)
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Great job @katharmonic !!! Thanks for the race report!