WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2018

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Machka I have issues with my right and left! My DH says other right often-LMAO! My oldest GD is dyslexic. She loves to read, but finds it difficult. The strange thing is it is hard to help her with building things from a pattern,ie legos. She builds in mirror image! It is interesting and makes me wonder what her brain is really seeing.

<3
    Kylia

My mother picked up that something wasn't quite right when I hung my clothing backward. She's a bit of a perfectionist so all the jackets in the closet were facing one direction, and I drove her crazy by coming in and hanging my jacket up so it was facing the other way. I didn't do it deliberately ... I didn't even think about it, just automatic.

Then she tried to teach me how to pour out a pot like you do holding the lid against the pot to drain out the water, and I'd burn myself with the steam as well as looking incredibly awkward.

She had already figured out that I was different with the jacket situation, and so after watching me struggle with the pot and lid for a while, she told me to switch hands, and that worked like magic!

So there are a number of things I do "backward". :lol:

M in Oz

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Re - My sympathy on the loss of your mother. I will pray for your peace and comfort.

Okie
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    becca sending <3 and strength

Barbie how’s your healing coming along, is the pain lessening??

Another beautiful day to work in the garden, after the gym of course!

NYKAREN
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I turned 50 a couple of months ago and thought this looked a nice friendly place to join in on. I've recently lost 20 lbs, would like to lose about 5 more. I am pretty active - exercise isn't my problem.....eating in the evening is my downfall.
    Looking forward to August!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Heather Love your hedge. Our hedge looked like that when we moved in thirty years ago. Now because of rabbits, Japanese beetles, and shade from trees it is not as thick and full. We keep it because it makes a nice break between us and our neighbor. I like it better than a fence. It takes me three days to prune it. I do it by hand because the electric shreds the bark and adds to its woes. I think I wrote about it before and called it our diva hedge for all the extra care it requires.

:heart: Margaret
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Decluttering: Alison, I feel for what you and your brother are doing through. DH's parents owned an antique shop in the 1960's and most of the shop is in our basement. In addition, DH has collected and sold antiques for the past 20 yrs. That adds to the clutter. Plus the aunts and grandmothers stuff. DH is a hoarder. We have many beautiful and what was once expensive pieces but I am afraid the younger generation just isn't interested. So, my son will have a huge job to do at some point and just hope he will not just give it all away.

Carol in GA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    Katla, I agree with your husband to leave the matter of the angry neighbor alone. Doing nothing is often difficult.
    Karen in VA, I was able to give away a lot of stuff when I got past the idea that the things were "valuable". They were of no value to me and they weighed heavily on my life. I gave things to the thrift shop. I didn't worry about them going to the "right" person. I was just glad to have less stuff in my house.

Allie, I went to a seminar about getting rid of stuff and the first thing the presenter said was "Your kids don't want your stuff".

Kylia, thank you for all your wisdom about giving gifts , what to do with memorabilia ,and how to deal with your husband's excess stuff.

Kelly, I loved reading your post that included getting rid of things and then acquiring new things for your day care. I hope all the things you've acquired through your grant will bring joy to you and all the children.

Heather, what a great plan to get professionals to trim that hedge. Now it looks great.

Rebecca, I am thinking healing thought for you and your husband.

My back is not any better. I'll call my primary care doctor this morning and hope to be able to see her very soon. I think they are very cautious at the ER about prescribing strong pain meds. The meds they gave me made no difference at all except that the muscle relaxer made me drowsy so I have gotten some sleep.

<3 Barbie
  • 1948Peachy
    Options
    Beautiful Janet OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I love your attitude about getting rid of things, but I can't seem to adopt it in my own life. I have a certain amount of burdens laid on me by my mom who wanted her treasures to stay in the family. The jewelry is easy. The piano and clock are not. :ohwell: Your hedge is lovely!

Machka: You are lovely, whether or not you choose to color your hair. I think the light streak I see in your photo is very becoming. :flowerforyou: I am left/right challenged at times. Part of it is likely my own doing. As a teen I thought it was great fun to write with my left hand and practiced until it was passable. My right hand definitely has better handwriting, but as a knitter and in some other things I use both. On a dance floor, I sometimes get dizzy. :ohwell:

Re: I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a mom is so hard. :broken_heart::heart:

Barbie: I hope you are able to see your primary care doctor quickly and that you are able to get relief from pain. :flowerforyou:

Janetr: Your ornaments are gorgeous! You are a talented lady. :smiley:

This morning I went out to clean up our dog messes on the lawn, and there were plenty of them. There was also a mess made by some other creature and a flattened area of lawn. I wonder whether deer slept there.

Thanks to all of you who sent kind words about the angry former neighbor.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Long night. His eyes are still shuffling, so he just keeps them closed, so he doesn't get any nausea. Not walking very well. On a clear diet. Nothing is related to liver so that's good.
    I haven't eaten since yesterday about 11:00 am, so hey I guess I'm fasting y'all! When I hear from doctor. I shall carefully drive home and eat something.
    Rebecca
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Barbie - why is your back hurting. I know you had an op a while ago. Have you done it some damage, or is it just muscle strain? Have they x-rayed it?

Done my bonus calories on the recumbent bike. I will run tomorrow morning early as it's much nicer with no traffic. Then I have yoga and after that coffee in the pub with the yoga group. Then my friend is coming up from Portsmouth on her way home to York to have lunch with me. :D

DH had fish and chips in the pub and I had my "funny food" as he was out. >:) I had curry laksa, nice and spicy. Tonight I'm just having butternut squash soup from the freezer and some cheese and a bit of Parma ham. One slice of seedy bread.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,340 Member
    Options
    Barbie - hope you can get in to see your doctor soon. Glad the meds are giving you some relief - glad Jake is able to help with dog walking and chores. I so appreciate your tips on decluttering - addressing the physical AND the mental/emotional part.

Heather - you are a girl on fire with your cleaning out and new house planning! That hedge looks great.

Rebecca
    - thank you for the update on your DH. With his vertigo - and what you've had in the past, I wonder if there's a virus going around? So grateful it's not his liver, and hopefully a run of the mill illness that is over soon.

Katla - glad you enjoyed the Skinny on Fat episodes you were able to watch. Looks like there's another free episode on tonight for 24 hours. I'll post the link as soon as they email it to me. Your miffed former neighbor might have been suffering from the heat grumpies too. Hard to tell sometimes what sets people off for no good reason. Seems like so many people these days are on medications that tend to alter their moods (or maybe should be >:) I used to want to delve into the problems when confronted with odd behavior like this but now I just do a hasty apologize and exit the premises ASAP B) . When is your next RV adventure?

Janetr - another stunning ornament! Where do you get your ideas? That apple pie your DH made sounded great. Bad boy, lol.

Carol
    - cute DGD! So neat that she is getting interested in the sport of running at an early age.

Machka - your hair is super lovely, curly or not.

So interesting hearing about those of you who have left/right problems. I've heard that a super brain strengthening exercise is to brush your teeth with your non-dominant hand. I tried it last night - I sure need more practice!

Pip
    - are you riding your bike to work in the heat today? Not so bad in the early morning. You are superwoman.

OK ladies, it's going to be another hot one here. DH is mowing - mainly dandelion blossoms as lawn is brown. My niece in Indiana is in labor right now so keeping tabs on her thru my SIL. Hope all goes well for her.

Going out to pump iron.

Keep cool ladies!

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Katla Concerning the treasures: I know if my mother was alive, she would tell me that her treasures may not my treasures, and she would give me permission to be rid of them. After reading the practical words from others above, particularly Barbie & Heather, I am looking at my heirlooms in a new light starting today. Keeping items that are useful or bring me joy will be my new mantra. Purge the rest.

Concerning your angry former neighbor, I had a similar experience with a colleague recently. I have never had such an experience before! It was unsettling. If she was a friend, I would give her time to cool down & then ask her if she was still mad at me & did she want to talk about it. But I barely know her, & know of no reason for her to be angry, so as far as I am concerned, she owns it. Next time I see her I will be warm & polite as usual. I usually get along really well with people.

Barbie. Thanks for the wise words. You are right. Most of my stuff is valuable to no one. Not even me. Somehow that is very liberating, and I thank you for that. Now what in the heck is going on with your back? I think some studies are in order to identify the source of your pain. Keep us posted.

Karen in Virginia
  • 1948Peachy
    Options
    Both of us grandmas are going to take the 2nd and 3rd graders to meet their teachers today. Really hoping the grandson gets and inspiring teacher this year who will help him to enjoy school a bit better.

Carol in GA