Running is boring and pointless

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i enjoy running inside and outside, treadmill, trail, road.
    i also enjoy carbs. and pixie sticks.
    my dogs enjoy running too. and i'm pretty sure they aren't doing it for weight loss

Are they doing it for the pixie sticks?

if they can get their paws on them. sneaky pups.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    i enjoy running inside and outside, treadmill, trail, road.
    i also enjoy carbs. and pixie sticks.
    my dogs enjoy running too. and i'm pretty sure they aren't doing it for weight loss

Are they doing it for the pixie sticks?

if they can get their paws on them. sneaky pups.

Awwww, those poor little addicts. :frowning:
  • dollarbill181
    dollarbill181 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Nov 2017 I found out i'd need surgery. weighted 225lbs.
    Started cutting carbs and exercising more and dropped to 205lbs by February 2018.
    Don't exercise as much as I use to (only once or twice a week now) and am now down to 183lbs.
    Muscle mass stayed. No doubt I dropped a lot of water weight, vascularity w/ the new diet is through the roof.
  • dollarbill181
    dollarbill181 Posts: 67 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    so you increased your deficit and lost weight. ....

Not necessarily, I cut carbs but raised the amount of calories. After the surgery exercise was nearly non existent except for PT. High protein, high fats, low carbs. Weight went down, muscle stayed. Only started running and weight lifting again about 2 weeks ago.

Not saying there wasn't a deficit all along, just saw quicker results by watching carbs.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Mattyay wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Mattyay wrote: »
    It's really simple. People get fat because they eat too many carbs and then try to fix their weight problem by running for hours on treadmills. No one's angry, Capiche?

People get fat because they eat too many calories. Are carbs part of it? Sure. But they aren't the only/sole reason. If someone who is getting fat replaces 50g of carbs with 50g of fats, they will actually get fatter. Your cut carbs and eat more fat doesn't work.

I have experimented a lot with different diets and i can assure you that 50g of fat and 50g of carbs are not the same thing. 50g of carbs will have you craving more. 50g of fat will not.

Sorry, but I never found fat very satiating. For me, it's a mix of protein and carbs*.

*Not to be construed as advocating a low-fat diet. I watch my fat a bit because of the 9 calories/gram vs 4/gram on protein and carbs. So, I don't free-pour my olive oil when sauteeing; I use a moderate amount. But at the end of the day, I'm seeking to restrict calories. I focus on hitting protein and iron and let the rest fall where it falls.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    kcs76 wrote: »
    @Mattyay what prompted you to become an anti-running crusader?

running for an hour was too hard! :laugh:

Especially when he ate back those carbs in just 1 minute.

i can just imagine him rage eating gels to get all those carbs in one minute...

I don't know if I can stomach enough food to eat back an hour of running in one minute!
    That's 14 sleeves of GU chews! Or my latest favourite: 8 stroopwafels.

The closest I could get is to try and drink 2L of soda. I might be able to do that in 60 seconds.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I think this goes here:

Woman attacks treadmill
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this popped up on my feed today or why I thought of this thread. :D Enjoy.

The Total Moron's Guide to Becoming a Runner
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I think this goes here:

Woman attacks treadmill

That's what I have to do to get surrounded by a bunch of men! Wow. I wonder what set her off?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Wait, you mean you don't rage eat gels?!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

it wouldn't be rage eating, though... it would be out of addiction. Carbs, especially artificial carbs, are basically heroin.

TBH if its salted caramel GU, then i would have to agree :bigsmile:

That is my go-to as well!

I'm training for my next HM and have been trying to figure out my preferred method of fueling. Just ordered an 8-pack of salted caramel GUs to give them a shot based on this exchange.

Rejoice. The troll thread has provided benefit!

its just like eating caramel sauce. my only criticism is that they are a bit sticky so they need washing down with water when its warm. i tried the SIS gels, and the 'clean mouth technology' that they advertise really is a thing! but the GU is too yummy...

The Gu caramel gels do lave a less than enjoyable texture in my mouth, in a similar but much more tolerable way that honey does (I don't eat Honey Stinger gels for that reason). That said, I do like a lot of their flavors. I need to try SIS gels but I'm leery about buying an entire package online to find out that I don't like them. I don't know that any stores where I live cary them so I can't do my usual "buy a few and see if I like them" routine.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

it wouldn't be rage eating, though... it would be out of addiction. Carbs, especially artificial carbs, are basically heroin.

TBH if its salted caramel GU, then i would have to agree :bigsmile:

That is my go-to as well!

I'm training for my next HM and have been trying to figure out my preferred method of fueling. Just ordered an 8-pack of salted caramel GUs to give them a shot based on this exchange.

Rejoice. The troll thread has provided benefit!

its just like eating caramel sauce. my only criticism is that they are a bit sticky so they need washing down with water when its warm. i tried the SIS gels, and the 'clean mouth technology' that they advertise really is a thing! but the GU is too yummy...

The Gu caramel gels do lave a less than enjoyable texture in my mouth, in a similar but much more tolerable way that honey does (I don't eat Honey Stinger gels for that reason). That said, I do like a lot of their flavors. I need to try SIS gels but I'm leery about buying an entire package online to find out that I don't like them. I don't know that any stores where I live cary them so I can't do my usual "buy a few and see if I like them" routine.

Maybe try contacting the manufacturer to see if they will send you a sample. Not saying they will, but they might.