Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    kcs76 wrote: »
    @Mattyay what prompted you to become an anti-running crusader?

running for an hour was too hard! :laugh:

Especially when he ate back those carbs in just 1 minute.

i can just imagine him rage eating gels to get all those carbs in one minute...

it wouldn't be rage eating, though... it would be out of addiction. Carbs, especially artificial carbs, are basically heroin.

TBH if its salted caramel GU, then i would have to agree :bigsmile:

That is my go-to as well!

I'm training for my next HM and have been trying to figure out my preferred method of fueling. Just ordered an 8-pack of salted caramel GUs to give them a shot based on this exchange.

Rejoice. The troll thread has provided benefit!

its just like eating caramel sauce. my only criticism is that they are a bit sticky so they need washing down with water when its warm. i tried the SIS gels, and the 'clean mouth technology' that they advertise really is a thing! but the GU is too yummy...

The Gu caramel gels do lave a less than enjoyable texture in my mouth, in a similar but much more tolerable way that honey does (I don't eat Honey Stinger gels for that reason). That said, I do like a lot of their flavors. I need to try SIS gels but I'm leery about buying an entire package online to find out that I don't like them. I don't know that any stores where I live cary them so I can't do my usual "buy a few and see if I like them" routine.

Maybe try contacting the manufacturer to see if they will send you a sample. Not saying they will, but they might.

That's actually not a bad idea, or at least asking if they have any local retailers (I know the bike stores don't sell their stuff but maybe some of the running stores do).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »

I don't know if I can stomach enough food to eat back an hour of running in one minute!
    That's 14 sleeves of GU chews! Or my latest favourite: 8 stroopwafels.

The closest I could get is to try and drink 2L of soda. I might be able to do that in 60 seconds.

It's 3 litres of Tailwind. Couldn't do that in 60 seconds.
  • chrisahubbard
    chrisahubbard Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Mattyay wrote: »
    Mattyay wrote: »
    It's really simple. People get fat because they eat too many carbs and then try to fix their weight problem by running for hours on treadmills. No one's angry, Capiche?

People get fat because they eat too many calories. Are carbs part of it? Sure. But they aren't the only/sole reason. If someone who is getting fat replaces 50g of carbs with 50g of fats, they will actually get fatter. Your cut carbs and eat more fat doesn't work.

I have experimented a lot with different diets and i can assure you that 50g of fat and 50g of carbs are not the same thing. 50g of carbs will have you craving more. 50g of fat will not.

You’ve eaten 50g of fat?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    wait.

maybe running really is pointless after all .....

giphy.gif
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    wait.

maybe running really is pointless after all .....

giphy.gif

Dude's wielding a gun, I'd be running too.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    @Mattyay is boring and pointless.

Hahahahaha; thanks for the laugh!

OP, you make a huge assumption—that most are running, and (you imply) doing nothing else, to lose weight.

People run for so many reasons, and not one of them is “pointless.” Any exercise regime employed to lose weight, without significant attention to diet, will fail. But, even without losing weight, a runner/jogger is healthier than the person doing nothing.

Furthermore, increasing activity by jogging maybe someone’s first venture into honing control of their weight and improving their health. They may not have much knowledge when they begin, but jogging might be their wedge into learning more. They’ll find out how important diet is for weight loss. Maybe they’ll quit running and take up strength training. That does not make their initial steps pointless at all; it makes them the first steps in a journey.

Maybe lighten up and let others find their way.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Isn't the point of running so you can eat carbs?
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    mkculs wrote: »
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    @Mattyay is boring and pointless.

Hahahahaha; thanks for the laugh!

OP, you make a huge assumption—that most are running, and (you imply) doing nothing else, to lose weight.

People run for so many reasons, and not one of them is “pointless.” Any exercise regime employed to lose weight, without significant attention to diet, will fail. But, even without losing weight, a runner/jogger is healthier than the person doing nothing.

Furthermore, increasing activity by jogging maybe someone’s first venture into honing control of their weight and improving their health. They may not have much knowledge when they begin, but jogging might be their wedge into learning more. They’ll find out how important diet is for weight loss. Maybe they’ll quit running and take up strength training. That does not make their initial steps pointless at all; it makes them the first steps in a journey.

Maybe lighten up and let others find their way.

This.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

No ?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

No ?

Really? I'm always doing it wrong, like that Ralph Waldo Emerson quote about slamdancing to the beat of a different mix tape.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Wait, you mean you don't rage eat gels?!

I make love to that bad boy, around 7 miles into my run... then spend the rest of the time licking my fingers And trying to de-gu myself!

I must confess there has been the odd time when I've considered eating one as a sweet treat when there's nothing else in the house! I bet it's great on ice cream! :laugh:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    so..... how do you feel about swimming ??

giphy.gif

Mesmerising...