Options
    8/1 = 15 miles
    8/2 = 10.5 miles
    8/3 = yoga flow class
    8/4 = rest day
    8/5 = 10.5 miles
    8/6 = 3 miles & 30 minutes kettlebells
    8/7 = 14 miles

I took an epic journey to the nicer side of suburbia this morning. The great thing about that part of town is that they all have militant HOAs and give a *kitten* about manicured lawns. Sprinkles everywhere! Wheeee.... :) I am sure anyone peeping through their drapes at 6am thought I was crazy. 🤷‍♀️

August goal miles = 175 / 53 miles-to-date

Upcoming Races:
    10/27 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/11 = Hill Country Trivium Half Marathon (tentative depending on work schedule)
    1/26/19 = Miami Tropical 5K
    1/27/19 = Miami Marathon

I live next to an Arnold Palmer golf course combined with a 55+ Community... impeccable lawns and if I get out early enough I run through all the sprinklers 🙂. I avoid the ones on the actual golf course- those will really drench me!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I guess she figured you could change your route or something. Or if you were armed you could ready your weapons... or maybe channel chi or something. :lol:

Well... I guess I would have to opt for chi channeling... too stupid to change my route and too smart to challenge a bear to a knife fight.

Maybe tomorrow morning I should just carry some snacks to toss to him to keep him distracted long enough for me to pass by...

I don't think we have any such thing as animal control out here... unless you count Wayne the Poacher.

Honestly, I would not want to challenge a charging bear to a GUN fight never mind knife! :D
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »

Woo! Quarter of the way to my monthly goal. Where you at my 100 milers?

Hey @RunsOnEspresso I'll see your 25 miles, and raise you 7 ;)
    But seriously, way to go! We are right on track! 1/4 of the way there, and more than 3 weeks left in August.

Nice! I had a couple of set backs but I've got time to make it up!
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    8/1 = 15 miles
    8/2 = 10.5 miles
    8/3 = yoga flow class
    8/4 = rest day
    8/5 = 10.5 miles
    8/6 = 3 miles & 30 minutes kettlebells
    8/7 = 14 miles

I took an epic journey to the nicer side of suburbia this morning. The great thing about that part of town is that they all have militant HOAs and give a *kitten* about manicured lawns. Sprinkles everywhere! Wheeee.... :) I am sure anyone peeping through their drapes at 6am thought I was crazy. 🤷‍♀️

August goal miles = 175 / 53 miles-to-date

Upcoming Races:
    10/27 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/11 = Hill Country Trivium Half Marathon (tentative depending on work schedule)
    1/26/19 = Miami Tropical 5K
    1/27/19 = Miami Marathon

I live next to an Arnold Palmer golf course combined with a 55+ Community... impeccable lawns and if I get out early enough I run through all the sprinklers 🙂. I avoid the ones on the actual golf course- those will really drench me!

Our HOA does most of the green areas super early (before sunrise) so I don't get to take advantage much. I did on Sunday. All three loops they were still going so I cooled off each loop.

No bears in my area. Mesa seems to get a few. I saw either a large mouse or small rat this morning and then almost got attacked by a pigeon/dove/paloma. Didn't get a good look as I jumped out of it's squawking way. When I do get out to trails there always javelina but I learned they are afraid of keys jingling. Go figure.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I guess she figured you could change your route or something. Or if you were armed you could ready your weapons... or maybe channel chi or something. :lol:

Well... I guess I would have to opt for chi channeling... too stupid to change my route and too smart to challenge a bear to a knife fight.

Maybe tomorrow morning I should just carry some snacks to toss to him to keep him distracted long enough for me to pass by...

I don't think we have any such thing as animal control out here... unless you count Wayne the Poacher.

Honestly, I would not want to challenge a charging bear to a GUN fight never mind knife! :D

Given the option, my weapon of choice against a bear would definitely be a drone.

I didn’t realize bears were so particular about the gender of their victims. ;)

LOL - you know the joke "you don't have to run faster than a bear, you only have to run faster with whoever is with you." - hubs is a couch potato so he knows he'd be easy to pick off.

Yeah, my husband won't be outrunning a bear anytime soon either. I've actually been trying to convince him to try something other than running - he loves the idea of us running together but hates actually running, and he's really bad in the mornings but that's when I prefer to run, so I think you can guess how that works out.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    (Yukon Trail Marathon had 2 grizzlies charge the lead runners this year! Eek!

Oh my goodness - this is exactly why my husband gives me the stink eye everytime I talk about hiking in Alaska or Glacier Nat'l Park. He is convinced he'll be eaten by a bear.

Lots of chatter about pepper spray - mine is on an elastic strap that I put on my wrist. No female runner should be without something to protect herself. I used to carry bear spray on my bike but it wasn't easily accessible and it's not like I can tell some pervert "hang on and give me a second so i can unstrap this really bulky bear spray before you grab me." I bought the pepper spray at an REI and they kept reminding me to NOT "test" it in the store. Apparently someone had done just that one day, they had to shut down the store, clean all the ducts, and dump some merchandise. I've heard the stuff can stop a charging grizzly. Hopefully I will NEVER have to put that to test.

Past two days I thought "yay - temps are 74 - I'm running outside" - and then couldn't figure out why I was a disgusting sweaty pit - hmmm....could be the 73 degree dewpoint. So even when temps aren't terrible, that humidity kills me every time.

@rheddmobile - thanks for the tip on the oranges - hadn't thought of that!

@shanaber - hmm....oatmeal is a great idea but I'll have to check the carbs. I'm trying to limit my carbs and although it helps with weight loss, I can't say I'm a fan when it comes to providing enough fuel for running.

Last time I hiked Glacier National Park, I carried bear spray. And I never needed it because I only saw 1 bear and it was just a black bear. They are friendly and will walk right by you without any problem, but I was eating breakfast at the time, so I had to scare it off to avoid any expectation to share food. I've never felt a need to carry a gun when in bear country.

Dogs, on the other hand, have had me thinking of carrying a gun on runs. I had another issue last night where this dog was just standing there, minding its own business. I was walking at this point (last night was a bad run overall), and we both were fine for a minute or more until it noticed me and went crazy. It chased after me, barking. I stopped, turned to face it, told it to go home several times. Every time I thought it was leaving and I went on, I would turn around noticing it was running towards me again trying to sneak up behind me.

I love my pets and would hate to kill someone's pet, but if a dog goes beyond barking/chasing and starts trying to bite, I'm not sure I want to take any chances.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    (Yukon Trail Marathon had 2 grizzlies charge the lead runners this year! Eek!

Oh my goodness - this is exactly why my husband gives me the stink eye everytime I talk about hiking in Alaska or Glacier Nat'l Park. He is convinced he'll be eaten by a bear.

Lots of chatter about pepper spray - mine is on an elastic strap that I put on my wrist. No female runner should be without something to protect herself. I used to carry bear spray on my bike but it wasn't easily accessible and it's not like I can tell some pervert "hang on and give me a second so i can unstrap this really bulky bear spray before you grab me." I bought the pepper spray at an REI and they kept reminding me to NOT "test" it in the store. Apparently someone had done just that one day, they had to shut down the store, clean all the ducts, and dump some merchandise. I've heard the stuff can stop a charging grizzly. Hopefully I will NEVER have to put that to test.

Past two days I thought "yay - temps are 74 - I'm running outside" - and then couldn't figure out why I was a disgusting sweaty pit - hmmm....could be the 73 degree dewpoint. So even when temps aren't terrible, that humidity kills me every time.

@rheddmobile - thanks for the tip on the oranges - hadn't thought of that!

@shanaber - hmm....oatmeal is a great idea but I'll have to check the carbs. I'm trying to limit my carbs and although it helps with weight loss, I can't say I'm a fan when it comes to providing enough fuel for running.

I didn’t realize bears were so particular about the gender of their victims. ;)

For real though, do what you need to do to stay and feel safe. For me, that means watching out for idiots in cars (and bikes to a lesser extent). I don’t need a weapon for that other than my brain and reflective clothing. I am grateful that there are no other statistically significant dangers to runners of any gender where I live.

What @MegaMooseEsq said. The problem I the number of women attacked by strangers is incredibly low, like less than 0.1% and because they are so rare you hear about them all the time, so you think it happens all the time. It just doesn't. Most of the time, attackers know their victim and are usually instances of domestic abuse. It makes me sad we live in a time when women are afraid to be themselves when the threat just isn't there (generally). You are definitely more likely to be hit by a car running than attacked, and your only defence there is being aware of your surroundings.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Nice gentle 5.5k this morning. I've got a few niggles and either I over did it yesterday, or I have to admit it's my shoes. I am getting a bit of discomfort on the inside of my left ankle into my instep - had that before, usually when I've spent too much time on my feet. And I have the discomfort in my lower calf again - I'm still on the fence if that's lack of stretching or shoes. And yesterday I had pain in my right shin. Seems to have cleared overnight with a bit of rolling but....

Sigh it's such a struggle for me to get shoes, the nearest shop is 1.5hrs away. Sigh.

Goal 140km

1 Aug - rest - 0km
    2 Aug - 8km - 8km
    3 Aug - rest - 8km
    4 Aug - 7km - 15km
    5 Aug - rest - 15km
    6 Aug - 5km - 20km
    7 Aug - 10km - 30km
    8 Aug - 5.5km - 35.5km

PS I hate this app! I keep hitting done in the top rather than post at the bottom and loosing my posts
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options

Dogs, on the other hand, have had me thinking of carrying a gun on runs. I had another issue last night where this dog was just standing there, minding its own business. I was walking at this point (last night was a bad run overall), and we both were fine for a minute or more until it noticed me and went crazy. It chased after me, barking. I stopped, turned to face it, told it to go home several times. Every time I thought it was leaving and I went on, I would turn around noticing it was running towards me again trying to sneak up behind me.

I love my pets and would hate to kill someone's pet, but if a dog goes beyond barking/chasing and starts trying to bite, I'm not sure I want to take any chances.

Honestly, dogs are why I carry pepper spray. I've had a few encounters - one included hopping into a stranger's van (yes, I can't believe I did that) - to get away from a dog that was attacking my dog. Another time I warned someone that I was carrying pepper spray - and he followed me in the car hurling threats. I firmly kept telling him "yes, if your dogs attack me or my dog I will use pepper spray on them" and he about lost his mind he was so mad at me.

@eponine1984 - LOL - love the coaster

• LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I hate dog owners who let their dogs run loose and then tell me, "It's ok... he won't bite you." My standard response is "Ok.. but if he tries, you will have to get a new dog." Problem is that most loose dogs I encounter are just roaming freely as houses are scattered about a half mile apart from each other I never see possible owners out when I am running. So I am stuck trying to resolve issues on my own. Most times I can get them to back down, but some of those A-hole dogs are effing persistent. Dogs are undoubtedly my number one pet peeve as a runner.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    So here is question... if your spouse or SO would tell you that your running was creating serious issues for them in the relationship and that you really needed to stop running in order to keep the relationship healthy, would you stop running? Or is that the mountain you would die on? I know several runners (including myself) where that became a legitimate issue (obviously not the sole issue, but a major one) and it has been interesting to see the choices they made.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 6
    8/2 - rest
    8/3 - 2.6
    8/4 - 5
    8/5 - 0
    8/6 - 0
    8/7 - 3

16 of 70 miles

My calves have been really tight the past few days from Saturday. I've been rolling and stretching. It didn't really stop me from running, life did that, but got out there this morning for a few.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Honestly, dogs are why I carry pepper spray. I've had a few encounters - one included hopping into a stranger's van (yes, I can't believe I did that) - to get away from a dog that was attacking my dog. Another time I warned someone that I was carrying pepper spray - and he followed me in the car hurling threats. I firmly kept telling him "yes, if your dogs attack me or my dog I will use pepper spray on them" and he about lost his mind he was so mad at me.

@eponine1984 - LOL - love the coaster

I have said this before. I have seen bear, deer, and other wildlife on runs. None of them even really cared much about me, or if they did, they left.

Poorly trained pet dogs are a completely different story. I have been bitten, and I have often had to become aggressive with them.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I ran two miles through soup this morning before I had to take the last of my company to the train. I'm going to try for 3-5 tomorrow, depending on just how damp it is. It was 78 degrees and 91% humidity at 7:45 this morning, and tomorrow is supposed to be hotter...sigh.

exercise.png
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    So here is question... if your spouse or SO would tell you that your running was creating serious issues for them in the relationship and that you really needed to stop running in order to keep the relationship healthy, would you stop running? Or is that the mountain you would die on? I know several runners (including myself) where that became a legitimate issue (obviously not the sole issue, but a major one) and it has been interesting to see the choices they made.

My SO would never do that. That is why I married him (among other reasons).