• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---3.03 run
    2---8.72 mile mtn bike ride
    4---6.22 intervals
    5---8.06 hike
    7---3.31 intervals

Not so fun run. Hamstring is grumpy after Sundays hike. Hate hard runs, especially since i signed up for a trail half on the same course as last Sunday's rocky hilly trek that kicked my gimpy rear.

Running.  20.6/85miles
    Cycling. 8.72

Upcoming Races
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    November 3rd Dinosaur Valley Endurance Run. Half. Glen Rose TX
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
  • aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    August goal: 25 miles
    8/1 3
    8/2 2.6
    8/3 0
    8/4 3.5
    8/5 0
    8/6 0
    8/7 2.5

Month to date: 11.6 / 25
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So here is question... if your spouse or SO would tell you that your running was creating serious issues for them in the relationship and that you really needed to stop running in order to keep the relationship healthy, would you stop running? Or is that the mountain you would die on? I know several runners (including myself) where that became a legitimate issue (obviously not the sole issue, but a major one) and it has been interesting to see the choices they made.

oh thats a tough one, and would really depend on the reason.

when I started running recently, I was going to try running in the evening. But i could tell my other half wasn't thrilled about it. His reasons were he is home with the kids all day (hes SAHD) and evenings are his time to have a break while I spend time with the kids. I don't get a lot of time in the evenings anyway - I get home betwee 4:30 and 5, and miss 2 is usually in bed by 6 and miss 4 is bed at 7. if I ran for an hour after dinner, he would then be left doing bedtimes as well. and I agree with him. That evening time with my family is important to me. So I switched to running in the morning before everyone gets up. he is happy, I am happy everyone wins. My only caveat is that I do 1 long run of at least an hour on the weekend. So for that situation its about balance and finding a way to fit it all in. Listening to their reasons for it and compromising.

so the question is what is the reason for the issues? if I made that change and DH still had major issues with my running, I would be pissed. I'd tell him to get over it, I was still running, and if it continued to cause issues then the issue is NOT the running but the relationship its self. You need to compromise, and work together to come up with solutions that work, but if someone is unwilling to compromise, then yes that would be a HTDO because as I said, its not the running that's the issue, its the relationship and I'm not willing to be with someone unsupportive and who wont compromise.

ETA or what @PastorVincent said in far fewer words than me!

I love this as an illustration of how compromise works in a relationship. I could absolutely see my husband making a similar request in that situation, or me if our positions were reversed. I could see negotiating time for family, each other, housework, etc. I could see a tough conversation if one of us thought the other were hurting themselves physically or mentally. What I couldn’t see is one of us asking the other to give up something they genuinely loved out of envy or spite or need for control.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 my bear spray is now in my parents' shed until next summer. I didn't like having it in the car that's for sure! Car wasn't sealed up when I forgot it inside, though, so that's something.
    So here is question... if your spouse or SO would tell you that your running was creating serious issues for them in the relationship and that you really needed to stop running in order to keep the relationship healthy, would you stop running? Or is that the mountain you would die on? I know several runners (including myself) where that became a legitimate issue (obviously not the sole issue, but a major one) and it has been interesting to see the choices they made.

If this happened it wouldn't be my running that caused the issue, it would be either not making time for my spouse or using running as an excuse to not do my fair share around the house and/or with the kids. We don't have a lot of time either for ourselves or for each other so I try to be mindful of my running and how much time it is taking from my family. It's why I typically run at night after the kids are in bed, and one reason why I haven't started working towards longer distances than a half marathon.

My husband doesn't resent my running and the only request he's made is he's asked if he can leave with the kids in the middle of the race (and sometimes skip the start too and just drop me off) and just be there for the finish.