August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls With putting in double digit mileage almost daily, what are your "go to" shoes and how many pairs do you keep in rotation? I am curious because I keep many pairs in rotation and rarely wear the same shoes twice in the same week because I feel that it keeps my legs and especially my feet healthy and injury free. But I know how with even doing that, my feet feel like they are taking a beating. I am blown away by your mileage and want to know what you do to keep your feet from going into open rebellion.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Quick checkin before I read through all the posts since last night. It is a rest day so I am catching up on articles and emails (and maybe shopping) and came across this one. I thought it would be good for the newer runners and I reminder to the rest of us too (who seem to still make at least some of these mistakes) :)
    https://www.active.com/running/articles/37-mistakes-runners-can-t-stop-making/slide-37?cmp=18N-PB2000-S20-T9-running-AR3&eps=title_755450
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    8/1-8/7 = 7.25/20 mi
    8/8 - walk

I’m not a morning person in general and after all my health issues, my husband has been taking care of the baby so I can sleep in/catch up on sleep since I generally don’t sleep well. Today, I got up early (for me) and went on a long walk with husband and baby. 3.25 miles in the heat and humidity of the early morning and I’m glad we got it done.

Regarding the spouse question: as the crazy one in my marriage, I’m usually the one making unreasonable requests. It’s very much usually not about running/hockey/whatever. In my personal experience it has a lot to do with my own anxiety/depression and how I associate things and a dash of lack of communication. “I thought you knew I needed you but you did x instead so now I hate when you do x.” Time, communication, and the fact that my husband is an absolute saint, all help. But we’ve only been married less than 3 years, so we’re not quite ready to go pro yet, might spend a bit more time in the minor league.

Oh yah, anxiety rears it's ugly head in weird ways. I read an article a few times about hidden ways anxiety comes out and I do almost all of them. I try to not do them but it's so ingrained I just do it. I need to be more self aware.

PS Yay hockey! I don't play, just watch. LOL
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @shanaber I saw you mention the fires. I was thinking of you the other day. How close/far are you from them?
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have been a divorce attorney for 35 years now

I'm sorry. :D

Lol... when I was in law school (Marquette University), people always asked what I wanted to do and I would always say, "Quit the law." I hated it and could not stand hanging around lawyers. But I also said I would never, ever do family law or criminal defense, which turned out to be the only two things I have ever done... lol.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I have been a divorce attorney for 35 years now

I'm sorry. :D

Lol... when I was in law school (Marquette University), people always asked what I wanted to do and I would always say, "Quit the law." I hated it and could not stand hanging around lawyers. But I also said I would never, ever do family law or criminal defense, which turned out to be the only two things I have ever done... lol.

I've worked in both those areas (not an attorney).
    8/1-8/7 = 7.25/20 mi
    8/8 - walk

I’m not a morning person in general and after all my health issues, my husband has been taking care of the baby so I can sleep in/catch up on sleep since I generally don’t sleep well. Today, I got up early (for me) and went on a long walk with husband and baby. 3.25 miles in the heat and humidity of the early morning and I’m glad we got it done.

Regarding the spouse question: as the crazy one in my marriage, I’m usually the one making unreasonable requests. It’s very much usually not about running/hockey/whatever. In my personal experience it has a lot to do with my own anxiety/depression and how I associate things and a dash of lack of communication. “I thought you knew I needed you but you did x instead so now I hate when you do x.” Time, communication, and the fact that my husband is an absolute saint, all help. But we’ve only been married less than 3 years, so we’re not quite ready to go pro yet, might spend a bit more time in the minor league.

Oh yah, anxiety rears it's ugly head in weird ways. I read an article a few times about hidden ways anxiety comes out and I do almost all of them. I try to not do them but it's so ingrained I just do it. I need to be more self aware.

PS Yay hockey! I don't play, just watch. LOL

And the ways that an anxiety disorder can manafest over time can change as well. I’ve dealt with anxiety, primarily social, since I was a teenager. Only recently have impatience and bursts of anger been symptoms of my anxiety, to the point that I didn’t recognize them as such until I mentioned it in a check up and my doctor pointed it out. Whoops. My spouse is amazing at dealing with my anxiety but neither of us recognized his own disorder until it got so bad he was throwing up before work more mornings than not - we thought it was a symptom of his GI issues and that his panic attacks were just normal stress. His anxiety turned out to be a symptom of untreated ADHD and having that diagnosed and starting treatment was a huge turning point for our relationship.

Yah I realized my snapping/anger is a symptom for me.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »

New Balance Women's W1340 Optimum Control Running Shoe,Purple/Silver,9.5 B US

Those are my shoes. I probably have over ten pair laying around. The pair for running is only for running, there is a retired running pair that I can use if the others happen to get wet, otherwise no rotation. Same pair for running until retired. This current running pair has about 1000 miles now. I used to not let that happen, but I do not feel anything from them yet. The pair I have retired over winter, is my daily pair and I have a pair before that that I use in the yard.

I am grateful to see that I am not the only person that runs four digit miles in one pair with no rotation. I used to worry about mileage but it always felt like I was throwing away money, so I stopped. Now I run until the shoes fail, then I buy a new pair.

The shoes I am in now are rated for 300 miles and I am approaching 4 times that. That is a lot of money wasted if I had changed them out every 300. :open_mouth:
  • kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

This made me chuckle. Brad was a lawyer and his BIL is as well. We were out to dinner once right after I had started back to school and I mentioned that I was thinking about law school. They both enjoy, or enjoyed, their careers but related law school to systematic torture. Of course being who I am, I listened and decided to still give it a go once I'm done with my bachelor's.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »

New Balance Women's W1340 Optimum Control Running Shoe,Purple/Silver,9.5 B US

Those are my shoes. I probably have over ten pair laying around. The pair for running is only for running, there is a retired running pair that I can use if the others happen to get wet, otherwise no rotation. Same pair for running until retired. This current running pair has about 1000 miles now. I used to not let that happen, but I do not feel anything from them yet. The pair I have retired over winter, is my daily pair and I have a pair before that that I use in the yard.

I am grateful to see that I am not the only person that runs four digit miles in one pair with no rotation. I used to worry about mileage but it always felt like I was throwing away money, so I stopped. Now I run until the shoes fail, then I buy a new pair.

The shoes I am in now are rated for 300 miles and I am approaching 4 times that. That is a lot of money wasted if I had changed them out every 300. :open_mouth:

I wish I could get that many miles out of a pair, unfortunately d/t size(mine, not the shoes), the support always seems to break down at about 200-250 miles, knees and ankles start hurting and lower back starts tightening up. That is how I know it is time to nab new shoes.

ETA: 5 years ago at a lower weight I could go much farther with just a single pair so I am well aware that as the weight comes off my shoes will last longer. :p
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »

My girlfriend and I ate at an Indian cuisine restaurant on Saturday. I am up in weight by 5 pounds. Is there a lot of salt in restaurant food? It's very discouraging to eat out as it is always detrimental to my goal of losing weight. Does anyone else feel that way?

Yes. Restaurant food is loaded with sodium and extra fat. I cringe when I watch Food Network or Travel Channel food shows - they add so much salt and oils or butters when they cook! At least way more than I would ever add when I cook. I guess that's why theirs taste so much better than mine - lol.