August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    No run this am. I'm going to sweat it out this afternoon in the heat. I did manage to keep my strength training streak goin with a workout last night. I'm considering which to do first this afternoon strength then run or the other way around.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    So here is question... if your spouse or SO would tell you that your running was creating serious issues for them in the relationship and that you really needed to stop running in order to keep the relationship healthy, would you stop running? Or is that the mountain you would die on? I know several runners (including myself) where that became a legitimate issue (obviously not the sole issue, but a major one) and it has been interesting to see the choices they made.

For my spouse, the running was not the overarching issue, it was me getting in shape in general and her feeling insecure d/t her disability. She was worried that I would get in shape and leave her. We discussed this many times and after much reassuring and working through it with her, she has been super supportive ever since.

No run today, hit a total body weight session. Planning 4-5 miles tomorrow.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I went to Target and what do you think I saw in the parking lot? We're getting a REI! WE'RE GETTING A REI!!!!! Now I can try on different shoes and maybe buy something on sale once in a while instead of at manufacturer's price plus a markup! It's supposed to open later this month.

Excellent! Make sure to become a member so you get those 'dividends' back from purchases. I first joined several years ago when one opened about 2.5 hrs. drive from me. Now there is a store only 2 hrs. drive away (different direction) and rumor is there might be plans in the works to put a store in the closest major city (1.5 hr. drive) - also where the nearest Target and Dick's stores are located.

On my lunch walks, I pass an REI every day. is it really a good store? I kind of figured it was all hype...

They have good gear and knowledgeable sales-people. The member perks are pretty good (I have the REI credit card, so they are even better when I use that card to make purchases). While I haven't had to use it, their return policy is pretty good too.

The other benefit of their return policy is that they have "garage sale" days every once in awhile where they sell those returned items at steep discounts. Often, it was returned because someone just didn't like it or it didn't suit their need as well as expected; but there isn't anything necessarily wrong with it. Other times, there is a slight defect or problem that one can decide on. For example, I saw a running vest last time, but it was missing one of the bottles. Did that bottle break and that is why it was returned? I'm not sure. The bottles are easy to replace, and if the overall vest had worked for me otherwise, that would have been an easy way to save some bucks.

I became a member before I got into running, but was hiking/backpacking. They host classes, which I've never had time to attend, for various outdoor activities too.

I LOVE the REI garage sales! I stock up on hiking gear whenever they have them.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @Avidkeo thanks for the advice. I'm sure therapy would be beneficial to my wife, but just suggesting that would sound like an attack (because of her low self-esteem).

As far as GPS watches, I can't say enough good things about the Garmin Forerunner 235. But like it has been said before, probably most Garmin watches are a good choice.

could you suggest marital because "it would really help me"( scott, not her -ofscott)
    edit::
    of course you have to want to change. and if she doesn't see her issues as a problem, they will not be resolved. my husband went to counseling but really it was a whining session. because he had no role in any of the problems :wink:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    8/1-2.66mi(2 hours aerial yoga)
    8/2- 1.01(1 hour aerial yoga)
    8/3- (2 hours of aerial hammock and hoop)
    8/4-nope
    8/5-nope
    8/6-marathon plan starts today. 3mi later
    8/7- 3mi unplugged
    8/8- rest day-no class tonight. dogs get shots

shuffled inside. was feeling they hypersomnia and autoimmune was causing some seizing of the neck and back muscles. i kinda miss the treadmill :worried: because i could watch tv and run

foster dog found my pacing very concerning
    2zj37dfrfa9d.png

exercise.png

ARGH! I want to boop that nose!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Question for my fellow gluten-free peeps:

Do you find that, when you accidentally ingest gluten, that it affects your energy levels? I ate some udon noodles over the weekend, thinking, "Just once won't kill me," and for the last three days I have been downright exhausted. Like, to the point of I can barely get a walk in, let alone run. It's very disconcerting. Needless to say I won't be straying from GF again. I'm also dairy-free because I've become lactose intolerant in my old age.

Just wondering what the rest of you experience.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Do you find that, when you accidentally ingest gluten, that it affects your energy levels? I ate some udon noodles over the weekend, thinking, "Just once won't kill me," and for the last three days I have been downright exhausted. Like, to the point of I can barely get a walk in, let alone run. It's very disconcerting. Needless to say I won't be straying from GF again. I'm also dairy-free because I've become lactose intolerant in my old age.

Yup. It will last for weeks. But I have celiac so it's different from other gluten sensitivities and autoimmune reactions.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    August goal: 180 miles

Date................Miles............Total/Remaining
    8/1...................Rest.............. 000.00/180.00
    8/2...................Rest.............. 000.00/180.00
    8/3...................Rest.............. 000.00/180.00
    8/4...................20.00............... 20.00/160.00
    8/5.....................5.00............... 25.00/155.00
    8/6...................Rest................. 25.00/155.00
    8/7.....................9.00............... 34.00/146.00
    8/8.....................5.50............... 39.50/140.50

Upcoming Races:
    August 25, 2018 Bubble Run 5K (Pittsburgh, PA)
    October 20, 2018 Sinnemahone Ultra Marathon Trail Run 50K (Emporium, PA)

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I think so. I do not think I am Celiac... so not sure I am much help in this. I just know when I eat gluten products I get all kinds of GI issues, so I avoid them. People with full-blown Celiac tell me it kills their energy levels.