August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    ...I stopped at REI and found they have Hoka Clifton 4's on clearance. The store didn't have any in my size yet, but I went online and got 3 pairs since they are at a reduced price.

Wait?? You run on over-inflated mattresses?? Just when I thought we could be friends....

Yes, for hard surfaces... roads, sidewalks, paved bike trails, or even a lot of gravel, those Hokas are the only shoe for me. My feet are super super sensitive, which is why I can't be barefoot. The pain of every little spec of dirt, tiny pebble, or even a microscopic piece of tree bark or twig will cause unimaginable pain. I have a very high pain threshold, except the bottom of my feet.

For dirt trails, I've tried a few different shoes and currently have Vasque. I'm thinking about Solomon next time I replace trail shoes, though.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I was just about to register for the Two Face at North Park but realized that I have long training run scheduled for Saturday (my longest one so far) and not sure I want to move it to Sunday after doing a race...
  • LaDispute57
    Options
    ...I stopped at REI and found they have Hoka Clifton 4's on clearance. The store didn't have any in my size yet, but I went online and got 3 pairs since they are at a reduced price.

Wait?? You run on over-inflated mattresses?? Just when I thought we could be friends....

Yes, for hard surfaces... roads, sidewalks, paved bike trails, or even a lot of gravel, those Hokas are the only shoe for me. My feet are super super sensitive, which is why I can't be barefoot. The pain of every little spec of dirt, tiny pebble, or even a microscopic piece of tree bark or twig will cause unimaginable pain. I have a very high pain threshold, except the bottom of my feet.

For dirt trails, I've tried a few different shoes and currently have Vasque. I'm thinking about Solomon next time I replace trail shoes, though.

Is the foot sensitivity related to your diabetes?
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

That's one of the reasons I am considering carrying a gun.

Just for critters I would recommend something lighter like a .22 Magnum. They make a "snake-shot round" that provides excellent deterrent value and doesn't require as much aiming as single rounds. Think shotgun .22 shells.

• LaDispute57
    Options

Just for critters I would recommend something lighter like a .22 Magnum. They make a "snake-shot round" that provides excellent deterrent value and doesn't require as much aiming as single rounds. Think shotgun .22 shells.

This all sounds like a foot or an *kitten* injury begging to happen...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Is the foot sensitivity related to your diabetes?

No, I don't think so. If it were, it would be expected to be the opposite... that I would have less feeling in my feet rather than being hyper sensitive. But I've had diabetes since I was 9 years old, so I can't remember.

I do recall, however, that I would always cover my feet in the winter when I was young and would wear flip flops sometimes in the summer. In the winter, if they were exposed to air, they would dry out so badly that they would crack open and bleed. In the worst of times, they could go from normal to bleeding with less than 10 min. of exposure to air. The only solution was to suffocate them by wearing shoes that did not breathe. When sleeping, I would often put plastic bags over them and try to tie as tightly as possible, then wrap blankets really thickly and tightly so that there was no air bubble and air could not get through. This was a problem long before I got diabetes and for several years afterwards into my teen years. All skin was dry when I was young, but my feet were always the worst. A dermatologist once said I had both ichthyosis and seborrheic dermatitis.
  • workaholic_nurse
    Options

not necessarily and no more than any other hand gun. They make similar rounds for several different calibers. I was just thinking that as a deterrent for smaller 4 footed or slithery dangers, and with shaky aim from running, that style of round might be the better option as opposed to having to worry about bipedal and larger 4 footed dangers like hogs which is why I carry rounds that are larger and consequently heavier as is the weapon carried. For smaller runners the weight being carried and how it is carried over longer distances is one of many considerations, in addition to comfort with the weapon, and proficiency.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options

not necessarily and no more than any other hand gun. They make similar rounds for several different calibers. I was just thinking that as a deterrent for smaller 4 footed or slithery dangers, and with shaky aim from running, that style of round might be the better option as opposed to having to worry about bipedal and larger 4 footed dangers like hogs which is why I carry rounds that are larger and consequently heavier as is the weapon carried. For smaller runners the weight being carried and how it is carried over longer distances is one of many considerations, in addition to comfort with the weapon, and proficiency.

I've shot a bit of snake shot over the years, mostly .38. Snake/rat shot is pretty common in rural Texas. I've been shooting for over 30 years and I am an excellent shot. I have never carried while running though and I want something light and not too bulky to carry. I'm really looking for a holster that will be comfortable while running.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    anyone have done the Gandy Marathon. looks nice. not too far away. distance wise. i'm not ready time wise
  • workaholic_nurse
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    anyone have done the Gandy Marathon. looks nice. not too far away. distance wise. i'm not ready time wise

Looks interesting and if I still lived in MN I would consider it. Not ready running distance wise for the half much less the full yet though.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Re: bear spray. I bought some to carry when I was running in the mountains and then proceeded to leave it in the car every time. Had second thoughts when I was running through a berry patch. I mentioned it to my cousin a couple days later (she's a bear safety coordinator) and she said that area is normally full of bears...

When I signed my life away to buy the stuff I had to acknowledge I couldn't legally use it against people or domestic animals (in Canada).
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Does look nice. Think any race is dependent on what you want however. I noticed from site that it is small (60 marathon finishers), staggered starts for the other races so it will limit race congestion, they have no time limit, appears well supported, might end up a little sparse or because of its size you will end up meeting others on the trail and bond instantly. Some might say “pfft” to larger races for different reasons and this might be a perfect race. Net chose the race that speaks to you. My first was the Flying Pig in OH and it checked a number of boxes that I wanted (friends in the area, large, was well recognized as a good first time course to run as a first timer, etc). That said, the biggest reason for me to run the Pig was I once said years ago, as a non runner, while seeing a large race in Chicago in awful conditions that I would never run any distance, let alone a marathon, unless pigs could fly. Turns out they can dream big and fly high! ;).
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I did something really stupid this morning - left for my run without eating anything. Sheesh - I should know better. But I'm also struggling figuring out what to eat. We don't keep bread in the house anymore so no bagel or toast. We do have a bunch of fruit so I've been eating some of that. I know there are others eating low-carb - what do you eat before a run?

exercise.png

June goal - 44 miles - done
    July goal - 52 miles - done
    August goal - 57 miles

Next race: Sept. 30 - Wineglass, Corning

I'm a type 2 diabetic who eats lowish carb. Oranges are my ideal pre run snack - light on the tummy and lots of fiber so slow release.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    8/1 rest
    8/2 9miles
    8/3 4.22miles
    8/4 13.1miles
    8/5 rest
    8/6 8.5miles

The plan was to head out by 6:30am to beat the heat, but I turned off my alarm and didn't head out until almost 8am :neutral:

It was 80 degrees, but at least the shady areas didn't feel too bad. The workout was 2 miles warmup, then 6x 1k at 10k pace with 2 minute rests, then a 2 mile cooldown. The first 2 miles were a struggle, but once I got into the intervals I felt really good! By the end I really felt I could have kept going much longer.

I need to lose the 5 pounds I've gained the last year - my clothes aren't fitting well anymore and I feel like it's making my runs extra hard. :( So my sisters and I are challenging ourselves to cut out sweets and candy. I'm also going to give up my salty snack habit i.e. no more bags of Doritos! If only I could stop at a serving or 2. Unfortunately, my usual discipline goes right out the window when I comes to yummy food!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K
    5/28/2018 Run to Remember 5K

10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon

My salty/crunchy go to is either salted sliced radishes or toasted nori. The nori is something like 15 calories for a box, much easier to fit in to a calorie goal than Doritos.