August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    RE: REI: I will have to check it out - is it a membership required place like Sams Club?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    RE: REI: I will have to check it out - is it a membership required place like Sams Club?

no, i've bought and not been part of the co-op. just don't get the same pricing
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Anybody can shop there, but you won't get dividends if you are not a member. Generally, members get 10% (more if you use the REI credit card) back at the end of the year (or sometime around Feb. or Mar. of the next year after all the accounting and such is done) for most purchases. It's in the form of a store credit, essentially, so not real cash. When I joined, it was $20, and I've gotten way more than that back in what comes out to buying the next thing at $0.

That doesn't mean I buy everything at REI. I just bought a bunch of clothes for a better deal at a Columbia Outlet store recently. But often, REI is competitive enough that the dividend makes it more advantageous.

ETA: By "member," REI is a co-op with members rather than a corporation with shareholders.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

I don't believe there is any difference in price between members and non-members. Members get a dividend back at the end of the year as @midwesterner85 described. There are also several member only coupons (20% off entire purchase, etc.) throughout the year.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    ah that's what it was. perhaps my friend was getting discount for signing up.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

I don't believe there is any difference in price between members and non-members. Members get a dividend back at the end of the year as @midwesterner85 described. There are also several member only coupons (20% off entire purchase, etc.) throughout the year.

When I was looking at their online garage sale (or whatever it is called) I am pretty sure some items had a member price.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

When I was looking at their online garage sale (or whatever it is called) I am pretty sure some items had a member price.

REI Outlet online is different, but the prices are not member-only. Yes, there are coupons send out throughout the year as well. There are some clearance prices on things, and I don't recall what they mean, but the last digit of the price indicates something. For example, if it is $82.73, then the '3' has some type of meaning. We don't always get dividends when we use those coupons.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq - I had a similar experience to your SO. I had terrible GI issues and thought it was colon cancer or something equally bad. Turns out it was stress and anxiety caused by a really stressful volunteer situation I was in (running a conference with a terrible person). Finding out what the root cause was helped me again and again to recognize the symptoms when I would get stressed out at work too.

Funny you mention colon cancer, because it turned out he also had a gut full of precancerous polyps. In hindsight, it was lucky we were on the wrong track for a while because otherwise we probably would not have known there was an issue until he actually had cancer. Life is crazy sometimes.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    ah that's what it was. perhaps my friend was getting discount for signing up.
    That’s possible. I signed up when I bought a Fitbit there several years ago - the discount paid for the membership and the membership included an excellent return policy, so I was happy with it. I haven’t used my membership as much as I could, but I really should - everything I’ve heard is that their great image isn’t hype.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

REI Outlet online is different, but the prices are not member-only. Yes, there are coupons send out throughout the year as well. There are some clearance prices on things, and I don't recall what they mean, but the last digit of the price indicates something. For example, if it is $82.73, then the '3' has some type of meaning. We don't always get dividends when we use those coupons.

I don't know. I thought some items had two prices and one said members. I looked at the membership because of it but ended up going elsewhere for what I needed.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    AlphaHowls wrote: »

New Balance Women's W1340 Optimum Control Running Shoe,Purple/Silver,9.5 B US

Those are my shoes. I probably have over ten pair laying around. The pair for running is only for running, there is a retired running pair that I can use if the others happen to get wet, otherwise no rotation. Same pair for running until retired. This current running pair has about 1000 miles now. I used to not let that happen, but I do not feel anything from them yet. The pair I have retired over winter, is my daily pair and I have a pair before that that I use in the yard.

I am grateful to see that I am not the only person that runs four digit miles in one pair with no rotation. I used to worry about mileage but it always felt like I was throwing away money, so I stopped. Now I run until the shoes fail, then I buy a new pair.

The shoes I am in now are rated for 300 miles and I am approaching 4 times that. That is a lot of money wasted if I had changed them out every 300. :open_mouth:

For a counter-example, I've found that *not* retiring shoes early enough can cost me the equivalent of 5 pair of shoes in PT visits. But the couch time is worse.

I got new ones because of leg soreness - it was definitely time! Putting on the new ones makes me feel like dancing, oh hey, I remember when the old ones felt like that, I thought I had just gotten used to them! Nope, the padding was breaking down. Maybe people with better joints can run more miles in the same pair, I need my cushy shoes.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    August Goal: 200 running miles.

August Running:
    07.30.18 - 08.05.18: Running Miles - 57 / Weekly TSS - 676 / Fitness: CTL - 84

Goals 08.06.18 - 08.12.18:
    Run: 6 Days, at least 55 miles with a LR of 17 on Wknd.

Base 2 : Week 2 of 4
    08.06.18 - 5.5 m.
    08.07.18 - 9.5 m.
    08.08.18 - 7.7 m.

Upcoming Events:
    08.25.18 - Tour de Donut Bike Ride

Notes: