50 somethings

Replies

• longkathleenann9291
    longkathleenann9291 Posts: 110 Member
    I just turned 51 this week... I've lost 67 pounds this year, and I have another 40 to go!

Wow! Keep up the great work! I think the 50’s are the best!
  • longkathleenann9291
    Question: Where is the first place, on your person, that you notice a weight loss? Mine is my chest! Of all the places I could lose weight it...😂
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    My face, which makes me look old(er).
  • yglozman20
    yglozman20 Posts: 5 Member
    I am 53 and would love to have more friends to talk to.
  • longkathleenann9291
    cabwj wrote: »
    My face, which makes me look old(er).

I hear yea! The wrinkles show up much faster without the fat plumping them out!
  • Sf0rza
    Sf0rza Posts: 18 Member
    Hi there, I have just re-joined MFP! I'm 56. Lost weight (15 pounds, on a 4 foot 11 frame) with MFP very slowly about 3 years ago, kept it off for a good while but then, oh dear. Slowly put it all back on. Just back from holiday and now having to buy a size up in clothes and I have had enough!! Am rubbish with diets but I have had enough. I really want to shift the weight again. Looking for encouragement.
  • JimSawchak
    JimSawchak Posts: 2 Member
    I’m 59 and seems like I look at food and gain weight. I’m keeping my calories at 2,000 a day. Exercise is limited to walking because I tore my right rotator cuff and need surgery. As far as walking goes I can get 9 miles a day in at work. However, I broke my right ankle in two bones when I was 14 and never had medical attention. Sooooo, I have to take breaks when walking and will be having surgery on the ankle. I’ve had 22 surgeries in my life, 19 in the past 8 years so my exercise routine is always thrown off. I believe the My Fitness Pal will be a big help.
  • HitenL
    HitenL Posts: 38 Member
    Feel free to add me. Been on here for ages and always looking to help others.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    There's an over 50 group here. It doesn't get a lot of activity, but maybe we can change that.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group

Add me as a friend if you like. I'm over 50 - way over - HAHA! Please send a message with the request.

Thanks. I went and joined the group, but based on the dates of recent posts, I agree it really isn't very active.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hi there! Bumping this to see if anyone is still active.
  • ShareASmile
    ShareASmile Posts: 195 Member
    I'm still here, Steve! Just saw the post about where you see weight loss first and I'd say that i see it in my stomach, which is where i see the gain, too! I can sense weight changes immediately in pants.
  • fitandpainfree
    fitandpainfree Posts: 38 Member
    I tend to see it in my face first then around my middle.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    I'm still here, Steve! Just saw the post about where you see weight loss first and I'd say that i see it in my stomach, which is where i see the gain, too! I can sense weight changes immediately in pants.

Got it. I have added you and Kathleen as friends. Tony was already in the list. We'll see if we can keep this thread active.
  • longkathleenann9291
    First place I loose...my chest 😂
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    Hi all! I love meeting MFPers my age and sharing this roller coaster ride (or merry go round - depends on how you look at it lol). I’m 55 and live in Louisiana. I’ve been on MFP since 2011 but never stuck with it more than a few months.

Last year my cholesterol went up, not once but twice, while taking medication for it no less. My doc ripped me a new one and told me I needed to eat better. Took me a couple months to get my head wrapped right and set my focus. Since then I lost 43lbs and brought my cholesterol down to ‘excellent’ levels per my doc.

Unfortunately I moved myself over to a maintenance because I was comfortable with where I was at (132lbs), and it worked for a while. Then I got sloppy and have gained back 12lbs. I’m determined to lose it again and I will.

I’ve never been this successful before and I’m super proud of myself because I’ve outlasted all my previous attempts at this. I’m just a couple weeks away from my first official one year mark on MFP. That’s a huge NSV for me because I never managed to last that long before! Anyway, I didn’t mean to write a book, I just wanted to offer my friendship and support to others my age if anyone is interested. I log daily, have an open diary, I’m a little wild and crazy in a fun way, I thoroughly enjoy a good laugh and try really hard to remember to not take this so seriously. It’s not a race. We have to live our lives as we traverse this insanely curvy road. Peace y’all! ✌🏻
  • ShareASmile
    ShareASmile Posts: 195 Member
    @SouthernCountryGirl Love your enthusiasm and outlook on all of this! I'm always trying to insert fun wherever possible, mainly just to stay sane! 😂 Congrats on all you've accomplished! I've logged in for a month, so am a newbie but already seeing results, so it definitely works!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I am 50 and just getting back to my former fit self after a series of surgeries.
  • mainelylisa
    mainelylisa Posts: 375 Member
    Hi...I'm new here again after about 5 years, 3 states, and15ish pounds since my profile pic. (I just ordered a scale.)

I've recently moved to Maine. Excited about hiking and canoeing...not so much long cold winters where it's easy sit on the couch and eat large quantities of everything and drink brandy by the fire.

I eat mostly whole plant-based and low fat. But apparently I'm consuming more than I think I am, so tracking has begun again.

I'm looking for inspiration to be excited about things other than eating and drinking...have always striven for that next challenge in life...college, kids, grad school, management job. But this post-55 thing is really messing with my mojo. And I've sure felt sexier. I also work from home, so spend a lot of time alone, so going out at night is very appealing to my mind. But not my wallet or hips.

Would love to find some like-minded friends here. My diary's open, so please no judgy-judgy on the wine entries to come (I lecture myself enough on that :) )